Water in Santiago

IMF Brooklyn II

Feb 16, 2004
Santiago
I recently read that due to the recent pass of Matthew the storm caused some damage in Southern DR but on the whole the country escaped without much disruption due to Matthew. The good news from the storm is that after a long period of drought a few months ago the countries reservoirs on the whole are full to capacity. I can understand water rationing during periods of drought and during that dry period the water in our area was off Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. More recently the off days were reduced to Mondays and Fridays.

Now for some reason the full water rationing is back to the all three dry days again. The reservoirs are full. Conservation during dry periods is essential but during times of surplus water supplies WHY IS CORAASAN STILL RATIONING?

On a related note, does anyone know the difference between a 3rd world potable water system and a first world potable water system? The answer is: The difference is the first world water supply pressure is on 24/7 and the 3rd world shuts off the water supply periodically. When the water supply pressure is dropped to 0 psi any external polluted water can easily be sucked or drain into the water system. Example, The house on the hill has an open faucet with a hose laying in a dirty sink, puddle or bucket and the house down the street at a lower level opens a faucet. This can actually siphon water out of the dirty water through the hose and into the main water supply pipes. This can happen from industrial sites as well bring chemicals and other poisons into the supply lines. Then when the municipal water supply is restored those same pollutants can be delivered to your home or tinaco.

So the consequences of the third world on/off water delivery system are: The water CORAASAN delivers can be pure as any first world water system but the pollutants that can be introduced during the water system off periods, when that pure clean water enters the polluted delivery system the clean pure water is re-polluted during each and every on/off cycle. So that is why we can't drink the water here but in the USA and Europe the municipal water supplies are safe to drink.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I live in La Joya, Santiago we have water 99% of the time day or night but
when I lived in an upper middle class neighborhood in Gurabo we never had
water 24 hours a day.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Thank you IMF. That is interesting. Not sure if it's BS, but sure makes sense to this arm chair public works expert.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Wow, you get water 4 out of 7 days, lucky you!

Many times we go a week or more (Over a month a couple times in the last 12 months) with no water coming in, that's why I have almost 6,000 gallons of water storage on the property.

IMF Brooklyn II

Feb 16, 2004
Santiago
To follow up on my post, if you have lived in the USA or any other first world country for any amount of time and you ever experienced the municipal water shut down due to service line repairs or water emergency you probably remember there were notices in the news and in the newspaper not to drink the water or use the water to do laundry for a period of time after the service is restored. The reason is it takes a period of time to flush out all the possible pollutants and rust in the municipal water service lines after the pressure in the main service lines dropped to 0 psi. When this happens that is when pollutants can enter the system, IE: ground water, siphon from hoses in standing water, industrial tanks back flowing into the water service etc. In most metropolitan areas it is a requirement in industrial plants and in newer homes that wherever there is a possibility of a backflow going back into the municipal water system a device called a BACKFLOW PREVENTER must be installed. This is part of most building codes in each city. To answer any doubts about my knowledge in this area I was in the plumbing and piping business for 38 years and had 5 years of training in the plumbing and piping business plus back flow prevention and installation classes. I worked in water treatment plants, water service lines and have had 38 years of hands on experience in the area of water delivery systems. I think it's safe to say I at least have an understanding of how water piping systems work.

It isn't complicated and if you follow my description of what can happen it's really quite simple as to know why the water delivered here in the DR isn't safe to drink. The multiple water service interruptions allow the water to become polluted every time CORAASAN turns off the water pressure. As your follow up posts from the Santiago area points out the water is shut off often. (I live in the La Zurza area of Santiago) Each time CORAASAN does this it is an opportunity to pollute the water delivery system.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
After reading these posts, I'm doubly glad we don't use the city water for anything except irrigation , we have our own well for the house.*

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Unfortunately, Cross connections is not the only issue with the water distribution systems in Santo Domingo, or many other Caribbean islands. First is the age of the systems in place, and the lack of proper maintenance. Now being from the states, you may find this hard to believe but many times when a third world or developing nation is looking to upgrade their infrastructure especially water, they of course don't have funds available for this and look to outside sources for funding and help. Now many times (Usually) this help will NOT come in the form of money being given directly to as in this case, the DR. Instead, a procurement agency from the country where the funds are coming from will look to manufacturers for the items listed in the bond sale. Of course the manufacturers will know that the items are for export, and will not be inspected before payment is made. They are looking specifically at PRICE. So the manufacturer has some off spec piping, fittings, valves or meters that it would love to get rid of and so offers up these items at a steal of a deal. These "out of spec" items many times find their way to countries like the DR. So now you have a sub standard distribution system with poor maintenance, no sampling regiment in place, nor scheduled blow downs and you end up with the issues that plague the people in the DR.

BTW, They cant "Just leave on the water". If this was done, every barrio including ours would be running thousands upon thousands of gallons of water down the streets without a care or thought about conserving water for the future. Until this practice stops, and normal people are educated or held accountable and charged for their water here, the water in some areas depending on where it is and what section or region valves are available to keep this practice from happening will never have water 24/7.

Last, What has been posted regarding the siphoning of dirt and dirty water into the distribution system because of leaks is a fact. The dirt causes "Non Coliform Bacteria". The rust and debris from the pipes being shut down can and do cause Coliform Bacteria", and the introduction of any sort of wastewater or storm water sucked into the system can and does cause "Fecal Coliforms" All of these Bacterium can cause health issues including diarrhea, cramps and stomach issues, but they can not and do not cause disease. The main issue that I have seen around the DR's water system that can and does make people sick due to E-Coli Bacteria in the water is from the huge amounts of Bio-Slime that is full of all types of bacteria within the system. Dead legs in the piping system causing stagnation and lack of proper water velocity through the pipes is the main reason for this. Lack of proper chlorine dosing and testing also adds to the mix.

So keep complaining, or get a cistern as most do when building or living in the DR if you want decent quality water 24/7 because until the majority of Dominican people are willing to pay for their water usage, upgrades are not likely to happen.