Cashing Travellers Cheques

chatbug

Feb 17, 2002
I am travelling to DR with a passport, however, my girlfriend is not. Will she have any problems cashing travellers cheques with only her photo id and birth certificate?

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Passport

You theoretically need one, but they will not turn you away if you have other legit looking photo id with a signature on it. We do it often with friends that are here. They are used to tourists that just wandered in from the beach wearing nothing but a speedo and holding a $100 traveller's cheque...where on earth would you carry a passport!!

good luck
marc

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The reason people are weary/leery of Traveller's Checks is that many, many times the people go home and file a lost or stolen claim with the issuing bank or institution. This eventually comes back to the local agent who cashed the check in the first place.

If there is no reliable backup identification, the cashier is held for the money.

This scam has occured many times in Sosua, and I imagine in other places.

HB

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I have seen both

A Driver's License only used in Boca Chica and a passport. I use a photocopy of my passport in colour and they are Ok with that. After 2 days, or even one they don't even want that since they start to know you.

chatbug

Feb 17, 2002
Travellers Cheques

Thanks guys... turns out she is getting a passport only. After much hassle at the passport office and an extra $30 they are issuing one for last minute travel.

Now... I won't have any problems cashing travellers cheques in Canadian dollars, will I? I am also undecided how much money to take. I am staying all inclusive for the whole trip. Is there much shopping? What will I be spending money on besides the tours I am planning to book?

Thanks guys... can't wait to go! Promise to post lots when I get home!

SwanSong

Jan 19, 2002
We were able to cash our traveller's cheques right at the front desk. We brought US$ value ones with us and they exchanged them for pesos for us. I only had to cash $100.00US for the week and ended up bringing change home with me.

chatbug

Feb 17, 2002
Travellers Cheques

Thanks Swansong... what hotel did you stay at? Did you do any shopping?