Hot water in the Kitchen

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Do you have hot water in your kitchen coming out of the faucet or just one supply line, cold?

If you do, what's the source, a traditional hot water tank or one of those small instant under the counter tankless heaters? How has it worked out, meaning, low maintenance?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Hot water in kitchen (and bathrooms), from a solar heated tank on the roof. Upside: no electricity involved, downside:
*Cloudy days, no hot water or at the end of the day when everybody showered.

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
I have a propane heater, on demand, located in the bathroom. Next to it is a CO2 alarm just in case.

Propane tends to be OK as long as it's working well, we used to power fork lift trucks in the warehouse with them as it is deemed 'safe'.

Cost around RD$10000 for a unit that can power two showers at the same time.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I used to rent a place with an electrical tankless water heater, it was fantastic. Obviously not suitable if the power goes out a lot.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We have a tankless/on demand heater for kitchen. Attached to same propane tank as the stove. *Fantastic and easy.*

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have on demand electric water heater for bathrooms: cheap and cheerful. does not reach to the kitchen because that part of the piping system also connects to the washing machine. we plan to buy a separate heater for that part of the house. we have a dishwasher, tho, that heats the water. i like being lazy.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Thanks for the replies but can you chime in with the manufacturer you guys have. I saw some on the pricesmart website, but that model Atmor had bad reviews unless you stepped *up to the higher in one, not a big jump in price, but you would go from *a 110v to a 240v, meaning a dedicted Line and big double amp.*

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thanks for the replies but can you chime in with the manufacturer you guys have. I saw some on the pricesmart website, but that model Atmor had bad reviews unless you stepped *up to the higher in one, not a big jump in price, but you would go from *a 110v to a 240v, meaning a dedicted Line and big double amp.*

Is this the model?

2lwm4a0.jpg

Notice 27 amps.................. dedicated line needed.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Yep, that one didn't get good reviews.

Regardless of the model you choose you will need wires installed from the electrical panel to a location under the sink. Plumber installs a T fitting to feed the hot water tank. Also the way I have seen things done in la rep dom the electrician will install the wires to the closest already installed electrical box and run the wires exposed from there.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Regardless of the model you choose you will need wires installed from the electrical panel to a location under the sink. Plumber installs a T fitting to feed the hot water tank. Also the way I have seen things done in la rep dom the electrician will install the wires to the closest already installed electrical box and run the wires exposed from there.

That's the down side, installation. Also has anyone had a problem with calcium buildup with these systems?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The one we have has no electrical hookup, battery start. Mr AE installed himself (both of them - one for two bathrooms, the other for kitchen sink and washing machine).*

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Mine too - just a plumbing hook-up.

The unit gets inserted in the hot water line.
Uses two DD batteries to spark ignition
Was a Spanish brand, I think

Works lke a dream.

I have one for the main bedroom, one for the kitchen
the two guest rooms share one.
Working for 9 yrs - sin problems, and one was used to start with!!

really no moving parts to wear out