gps system

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
can anyone recommend a good GPS system for driving around the country and any idea where would the best place to buy it ...thanks in advance

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Buy Garmin on Amazon or eBay. + load OpenStreetMaps = works great in DR. Have been using it for 3 years now.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
If you are visiting and you have free data, Google map works perfectly in the DR. I have used it extensively. Heck, it even pronounces the street names correctly.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
If you are visiting and you have free data, Google map works perfectly in the DR. I have used it extensively. Heck, it even pronounces the street names correctly.

Second that.

Google maps on a half decent smart phone is all you need. *the latest version of google maps lets you download local areas so you don't even need a cellular data connection.

Invaluable for Santo Domingo. *Knows all the tricky one way systems, gives turn by turn directions and is very easy to follow in driving mode.

I particularly like the search function. *Type in the name of the business you want to go to and you're all set. *You do need a data connection for that though.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I use Waze which is great sometimes for dodging those Jams in SD but sometimes it will take you into barrios. *Can be a God send*

oakmba

Dec 10, 2015
Does anyone have experience using the iPhone map app?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Does anyone have experience using the iPhone map app?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's recently been updated. *It's ok, but not as good as Googlemaps. *One of the best new features of Googlemaps is the fact that you can download local maps into your phone's memory. *An important feature for those who don't have a data plan. *With the Apple app, you need a constant data connection.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
There are AIS programs online available for download. I have a complete navigational program on my wife's Samsung Tablet that uses her built in GPS for backup in case our GPS bites it while we are sailing. A friend of mine sailed from Australia to St. Thomas using his Samsung phone. There are several good online downloads available and I don't see why it wouldn't be available for driving too. BTW, no offense but Garmin is the worst GPS (at least for a boat) that money can buy. their portable products are horrible as well. GPS products are fast becoming obsolete due to the smart phone technology. Embrace it and just use your phone. Cheaper too..*

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I use GoogleMaps on my iPhone. Just download a map for whereever you're going and save it offline. I save any important places, destinations, etc, I don't have a data plan so I'm not sure hiw it works(?), but it always seems to know my location on the map. Maybe not as good as Garmin, but has worked well for me.

The only time it's a little problematic is when you come to traffic circles(rotundas?), interchanges, and overpasses. At those times you gotta "keep your eyes on the road and your hands up on the wheel".

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
can anyone recommend a good GPS system for driving around the country and any idea where would the best place to buy it ...thanks in advance
Any Garmin is solid, even budget models.

There are numerous maps of the DR/Haiti available for purchase.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

I'd recommend Google over openstreetmaps as well.

Openstreetmaps has too many streets that have been entered improperly. I can't begin to remember how many times my Garmen has gone into a "Loop" due to crappy input while my smart phone shows the way without an issue Those loops aren't good when you're driving in city traffic..

I have had to go into the program and clean up sloppy work done by others on many occasions.

I don't think I've ever seen a loop in Google maps.