Power packs and chargers.

May 29, 2006
I've been doing most of my Wifi off grid with a $40 tablet and a 1400mAh power pack to extend the charge on it. My next trip back, I'll be bringing down a 6000 mAh power pack that is designed for use as a car starter/battery charger, but has a 2 Amp USB port as well. I'll also be bringing down my $30 coffee cup inverter~ with that and a locally bought battery, I can power my TV and even charge a circuit for overhead lights(AFTER shutting off the breaker!)

I'll want a real inverter system eventually, but for under a $100 plus a single battery, this is hopefully a nice solution if your power needs aren't much and you're on a budget. We have around 18 hours a day of on grid power.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EOL9RQS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3BVVW711G7EUD

https://www.amazon.com/PowerLine-Po...055&sr=1-1&keywords=coffee+cup+power+inverter

https://www.amazon.com/Roadpro-Batt...=1476557231&sr=1-2&keywords=Light+socket+clip

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The battery pack that serves also as a car jump starter I would not believe that. It may jump start a go-kart but that would be about it.

I have had very good results using Anker products with PowerIQ technology. The PowerIQ detects what device you plug in the USB port and delivers the proper charging amperage for that particular device.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerC...1476559117&sr=8-5&keywords=anker+battery+pack

Please take note, this item has 2,500 customer reviews and a 5* rating.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Now your coffee cup battery clip gizmo setup. I take it you are going to clip this to a car battery? Please take note the coffee cup has a capacity of 200 watts continuous. Disregard the 400 watt peak power as that is only there to indicate the coffee cup can handle 400 watts for a second or two. Including the cost of purchasing a car battery and a charger to charge the battery maybe a couple of LED solar lanterns may serve the purpose?

May 29, 2006
Good reviews.. I've powered my flat screen TV with the coffee cup inverter and used it to recharge my laptop. All of my light bulbs are 7w LEDs. I wouldn't use it to power a fridge, and the power is rarely off for more than four hours. I have no plans to jump start a car with it and a single charged car battery should be good for the limited down times we have. I'm not trying to use a Foreman Grill on the thing. I prob won't even need the car battery..

Being able to trickle charge a battery seems pretty handy..

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
OK, gotcha................

The Anker product is really nice with dual outputs. I have several different size battery packs with the PowerIQ technology and it is a real nice feature.

May 29, 2006
PeterInBrat,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EOL9RQS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3BVVW711G7EUD

Conflicting product size stated in the ad?

6.9 x 5 x 2.3 inches and 5.5x3.1x0.7 inch.

Most likely product size and package size.

I see 1000 peso power packs at the Chinese import stores, but I don't have much faith in their actual mA hours listed and it's not likely they'd take returns. My 1500mA power pack was only $15 at a supermarket; I wish I had bought three of them. I finally broke down and got some USB cables for 40 pesos each and they seem to be working OK. I'll be bringing down a bunch of those too next time.

I dunno about any backup power pack that doesn't list how many amp hours it's rated for...

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Here is another gadget you may be interested in. Connect your TV and router to keep them running during a power outage. No car battery needed, everything in one neat little package.

https://www.amazon.com/APC-Battery-...cs&ie=UTF8&qid=1476566247&sr=1-5&keywords=ups

UPSs aren't intended to keep devices running during a power outage. They're intended to give you time to power them off properly, or time for your generator to kick in. Generators are intended to keep you running in a power outage.

That said, 550 is too low for most appliances, especially TVs.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thanks for the reminder. I forget the setup I have only needed short duration for power as the generator was the actual backup. On second thought I guess the UPS would only be good enough long term for a router.

UPSs aren't intended to keep devices running during a power outage. They're intended to give you time to power them off properly, or time for your generator to kick in. Generators are intended to keep you running in a power outage.

That said, 550 is too low for most appliances, especially TVs.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Trying to reinvent the wheel?

New UPS at computer store here - 1600 - 2000 Pesos
Take small battery out.
Buy 25-30 amp battery (2.000 - 3.000 Pesos), connect it to UPS.

Total costs = US$ 100 and be happy all day with your wifi and laptop. When power is back - it may take a long time for UPS to re-charge the big battery as it is designed to charge only standard 7 amp UPS battery.

mt5vkn.jpg

May 29, 2006
Shop hard. My 14000mAh was $15 at a supermarket..

The Chinese import stores have them sometimes, but as I said, I worry about quality. Most of what they sell is crap and knockoffs. I have a wall plate USB charger with a built in surge protector and it's outlasted a half dozen of those tiny cubes.

Good FLAT charger cords last much longer than round ones. I've seen them for 200 pesos, but they may be worth the money. I think in bulk, they are around $2 on Amazon.

While we are talking about what to bring, Micro 8GB SD cards are also good to buy in bulk online. $40 Best Buy tablets cost $100 here or more. Nice for Christmas and compact. Just be sure you have your receipt!

It's better to have two medium chargers than one big one since they typically have 2.5 amp inputs. I want enough backup so I can have a full 24 hours of charge for my tablet with one or two charging. I think 60,000 mAh should be enough for my tablet and my needs.

May 29, 2006
Trying to reinvent the wheel?

New UPS at computer store here - 1600 - 2000 Pesos
Take small battery out.
Buy 25-30 amp battery (2.000 - 3.000 Pesos), connect it to UPS.

Total costs = US$ 100 and be happy all day with your wifi and laptop. When power is back - it may take a long time for UPS to re-charge the big battery as it is designed to charge only standard 7 amp UPS battery.

mt5vkn.jpg

Yup, that's my plan but without the surgery. Mi esposa's sister paid $US 1000 for their inverter system, but they run fans, a fridge and an old power hungry TV on it.

pas

Jun 7, 2004
The battery pack that serves also as a car jump starter I would not believe that. It may jump start a go-kart but that would be about it.

I have had very good results using Anker products with PowerIQ technology. The PowerIQ detects what device you plug in the USB port and delivers the proper charging amperage for that particular device.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerC...1476559117&sr=8-5&keywords=anker+battery+pack

Please take note, this item has 2,500 customer reviews and a 5* rating.

agree ...anker is good

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
If you are using 40 $ *tablets, you could use 2 or more...... just saying ;)

Even with a full-house-inversor-battery-combo, i still use 2 tablets as they seem to drain the battery faster than they can charge. Especially as the tablets get older and the ambient temperature gets hotter.

May 29, 2006
Check the output on your USB port. This one can hold its charge with a 2amp output, but it doesn't last as long on hot days. Getting two more for the kids though. Last time I got three and sold two for $100. I've had to do a couple factory resets..

I don't think I've seen anything but 1amp ports here.

I have a bigger PC tablet but not fitting into a shirt pocket is a deal breaker and it drains faster. I need a mouse with Bluetooth for that one.