Small plane crash POP area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I've received a report that the owner of Monkey Jungle, his wife and at least one other passenger took off in a private single engine aircraft from POP airport around 7:00 pm yesterday evening and were lost on radar approx 7 miles west of the airport.

A search was conducted yesterday evening in the bad weather and continues today.

Has anyone seen or heard anything on radio or tv?

The info that at least three people have been reported missing is confirmed, that the plane has crashed has not yet been confirmed.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Diario Libre has a story today about a plane that took off from Haiti, heading to Puerto Plata that is missing, not sure if it's the same plane, photo in story of plane. *Presumed crashed.*

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Same plane. The updated info that I now have been given is that the float plane took off from Haiti and was flying direct to POP.*

Debris has been recovered from the ocean, one wing and the tail. The wreckage has been brought to the POP airport. At this time, smaller pieces of debris have been spotted floating on the surface but the fuselage and cockpit are still missing. The occupants of the plane are not yet accounted for.

Discretion is advised as the families and friends have not yet been notified of some of the details reported here.*

Last edited:

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Cdn_Gringo's information is accurate.

Hoy's report is unsubstantiated.

I have first hand information of this incident. *We were involved with the land search until the early hours of the morning and we were the first plane airborne at first light this morning. *Unfortunately it was us that spotted the floating debris and directed the air force helicopter to recover it.

I won't put out any more details in the public domain just yet. *But affected parties are free to PM me.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Numerous FB new sites have published the names of the crew; a couple said to own an establishment in Sosua and another unidentified Canadian man..

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Those on the plane have been publicly and accurately identified in several media reports.*

http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2016/10/18/hallan-parte-avioneta-reportada-desaparecida

However, at this time, despite the report in Hoy, there is no official confirmation that the cockpit has been inspected or recovered. At this time there is also no statement (apart from that one instance in Hoy) that anyone on the plane has been located.

We will know more when the Navy divers inspect the large section of the plane that is still under water.*

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I originally started this thread in here to limit the audience and the temptation towards rampant speculation so early on in the search and with very few conformable facts being available. Now that there is a independently started thread in the general forums, I'll shut this one down when there are no more posts being made and some sort of official statement allows the the floodgates to open in the general forums. No real need to have two threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.