the richest government ministers of DR

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the article is from few days ago. it's time for government functionaries to present financial declarations.

unsurprisingly, the richest of them all is miguel vargas with over 695 million pesos (over 15 million dollars). apparently huge chunk of it is debt. interestingly enough, he did not declare any real estate.
second in line is the minister of finances with over 634 million pesos, maybe he practices what he preaches.

only three ministers declared possession of firearms, including altagracia guzman, the minister of health.

danilo medina declared over 22.5 million pesos and margarita a little over 26.6 million.

details can be found here: http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2016/10/20/cual-mas-rico-mas-pobre-los-ministros

Aug 21, 2007
At first, was deceived by your title. I was thinking of ministers as in religion. In the US, religion is big business. In the DR, I think not so. Perhaps I am wrong. Anyway, I am not surprised that the ministers in government are not declaring finances. It we don't know what they really have, they can easily hide it.

Lindsey

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
At first, was deceived by your title. I was thinking of ministers as in religion. In the US, religion is big business. In the DR, I think not so. Perhaps I am wrong. Anyway, I am not surprised that the ministers in government are not declaring finances. It we don't know what they really have, they can easily hide it.

Lindsey

Linsdey, in the USA ministers of religion are among the richest people. in the DR, it is ministers of government.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Linsdey, in the USA ministers of religion are among the richest people. in the DR, it is ministers of government.
The pastor of my church in Santo Domingo continued his practice as a medical doctor until a number of years back when the demands of the growing church required him full time. (I don't know his income but would be willing to bet that it is nothing outrageous). There are a few pastors however in this country that I would bet make some pretty hefty over the top money even here in the D.R., nothing on U.S. terms but considering where we live a lot of dough.

Last edited by a moderator:

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Off Topic post deleted by moderator*

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 21, 2007
Okay, okay....but I do know at least a couple of corrupt ministers (of religion) here. And by here, I mean just the North Coast. I don't know about them being rich, though.

Lindsey