Jose OShay owner retiring!

May 29, 2006
Perhaps Frank knows more about this. No idea if the new owner will start fresh or keep the business. Saw a post on Facebook.

I think Sunday is the big day.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I read on the Internet that he was mummified on the roof with Christmas lights on. ?

Aug 21, 2007
Yes, it has been sold. This had been in the works for a couple of months. An employee told me that an American has bought it. The employee was Dominican, so it might be either an American or a Canadian.......

Lindsey

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Hey everyone,

Top of the afternoon to you!

The sale is almost final. If everything goes smoothly, it will be sold at the beginning of next week. The new owner, Rocky (Super cool guy, and owner of a well-known restaurant "Rocky's Aqua" in Connecticut), will take over in the middle of next week. I'll be back in a few days to help Rocky run it until i leave for Norway.

Rocky will upgrade quite a few things and give it a fresh make-over in due time. He really knows his stuff and has been coming down to the North Coast for a long time.

I'll be working next week for about a month, and then i have to leave for a month, but will be right back. Rocky will be there everyday, and he's a good guy to get to know. He will do the Superbowl parties and St. Patrick's Day party just like before.

Frank

Aug 21, 2007
Hey everyone,

Top of the afternoon to you!

The sale is almost final. If everything goes smoothly, it will be sold at the beginning of next week. The new owner, Rocky (Super cool guy, and owner of a well-known restaurant "Rocky's Aqua" in Connecticut), will take over in the middle of next week. I'll be back in a few days to help Rocky run it until i leave for Norway.

Rocky will upgrade quite a few things and give it a fresh make-over in due time. He really knows his stuff and has been coming down to the North Coast for a long time.

I'll be working next week for about a month, and then i have to leave for a month, but will be right back. Rocky will be there everyday, and he's a good guy to get to know. He will do the Superbowl parties and St. Patrick's Day party just like before.

Frank

Can't imagine Jose O'Shay's without you, Frank. Glad to hear you will be there off and on.

Lindsey

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Good Lord, the most expensive bar on the north coast gets sold. The drinks, food etc were over the top expensive The food was/ is crap. I can't believe fat Frank has a following? Are you freakin kidding me????????????

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
The post by Lindsey was very obviously referring to Frank12's following Joe.

"Stupid is as stupid does" Forest Gump

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Good Lord, the most expensive bar on the north coast gets sold. The drinks, food etc were over the top expensive The food was/ is crap. I can't believe fat Frank has a following? Are you freakin kidding me????????????

You ever been to one of Big Frank's (O'shay's) St. Patrick's Day parties? His Superbowl Parties?

On NFL Sunday, he was--and still is--the only person on the island (other then 5-Star) that carries 6-NFL Ticket games on television-plus two more NFL games on regular cable--for a total of 8 Lives games. How many places on the island are paying for 6-cable boxes with the NFL Ticket games on each box?

He was one of the few places that ordered all of his meat from the USA (except for chicken). All of his hamburger patties come from Michigan and are Black Angus Certified (just ask anyone to pull out a box and show you).

He's one of the few places that ordered and pays for the College Game Day Package each year and will show any college football game that anyone comes into the bar and requests--regardless how unknown or unpopular the team is.

He's the only person on the island that threw a large St. Patrick's Day parade and paid--out of his own pocket--to fly down the Irish musicians, Step Dancers, the Bag Piper (Cullum Mack), and paid for their hotel and lodging...and oh yeah, all of their food and drinks for 3 straight days. He did that for 15-years straight.

He's one of the few people that paid for a company to come and set up a 20ft screen and have a stage built (for one day) on the beach/with a huge tent (for 15 straight years) and he had the best Superbowl party on the island.

There are many other things, but i think you get the point. He put his heart and soul into the place, and of course, he had to charge more then other places around him for drinks simply because, his operational costs were so astronomical, comparatively speaking. He also has 28-employees to budget for, but the first 10-years he was open, he had 36-full time employees to budget for. That's a lot of staff, and a lot of insurance he had to pay for.

He had a good 16-year run. The man is 74yrs old. He's a business man. He's not a charity organization. He's not in business to give away drinks at cost. Over 16-years, he employed hundreds of people, and all of those people all had families and children to feed and support...and put through school. He alone is responsible for a lot of kids getting fed, clothed, and educated. And this is true for any business with large staff's and who have been in operation for 16-years. As i mentioned, that's a lot of employee insurance he had to pay for. And that's also a lot of "severance pay" he has come up with, and still has to come up with. A lot of businesses in the DR simply close their doors and go out of business and the employees get nothing for their hard work and dedication to a company.

The man, Big Frank, is a legend. And believe me, I don't say that lightly. I've been on the island for nearly 50-years now. I've been on the North Coast for 12-years. And before that, i was in Bonao with my father for 15 years. I've seen a lot of businesses come and go. Big Frank did his part, and paid his share--including a whole lot of Dominican taxes. Other smaller business are able to fly underneath the radar and pay no taxes. Zero taxes! He paid all of his taxes.

He is a good guy...and that is a lot more than i can say for the hundreds of fly-by-night businesses that have come and gone just on the North Coast alone in the last 16 years.

Have a good day, and Top of the Morning to you!

Frank

Last edited:

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013

maybe they decided to get out of business because you could not afford to drink or eat there

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Why would I drink or eat FOOD there at stupid prices Could I afford the place, no problem.