CLARO, ORANGE, VIVA or TRICOM ?

fiocco

Mar 26, 2016
I will come in DR for Holidays. Which is the best SIM Card to buy? Not interested in Internet Package , only local calls and if possible International calls. Thanks .

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Depends on where you will be in the D.R.
Sometimes a certain area is covered better then others.

Claro is usually the best in my opinion, but they may not have coverage in the area you need.

For instance: Sabana Igleisa used to have little or no coverage by Claro, but Orange had it covered.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
In the Las Terrenas region, Claro is now the best, as Orange basically crashed & burned for the last couple of years.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Get a phone with dual sim cards, and have best of all worlds.

That's what I did. An Android app tells me which signal is strongest.

BTW: Orange is TriCom now.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I'm in the market too. What would it take to get a postpago phone? Bank account? I was going to head over to the office later today.

I'm looking for a good internet plan as my internet is good for heavy lifting such as downloads, but it stinks for request/response such as surfing web pages.

Question on Claro: Internet M?vil Postpago 15GB con Bloqueo

what is Bloqueo? It doesn't sound very appetizing.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I'm in the market too. What would it take to get a postpago phone? Bank account? I was going to head over to the office later today.

I'm looking for a good internet plan as my internet is good for heavy lifting such as downloads, but it stinks for request/response such as surfing web pages.

Question on Claro: Internet M?vil Postpago 15GB con Bloqueo

what is Bloqueo? It doesn't sound very appetizing.

For me Claro has the best speed, sometimes. Has moments where sucks the service. *Bloqueo means Blocked once you reach the total of GB purchased.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
For me Claro has the best speed, sometimes. Has moments where sucks the service. *Bloqueo means Blocked once you reach the total of GB purchased.

Yeah, my roaming phones all have terrific service on Claro and really stink on Orange. I've figured out how to lock them Claro and I've been happy with the service, but I don't have a large data plan.

Ah, that makes sense. Is there a way to unblock it? I suppose up the plan. I guess I could monitor it carefully and keep the wifi key private.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Yeah, my roaming phones all have terrific service on Claro and really stink on Orange. I've figured out how to lock them Claro and I've been happy with the service, but I don't have a large data plan.

Ah, that makes sense. Is there a way to unblock it? I suppose up the plan. I guess I could monitor it carefully and keep the wifi key private.

The only way is upgrate your plan and try to get as much wifi youncan.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I will come in DR for Holidays. Which is the best SIM Card to buy? Not interested in Internet Package , only local calls and if possible International calls. Thanks .

I use Orange. Cost around 10 pesos a minute to call the states. Local calls are cheaper depending on
which service provider the person you are calling has service with. Not sure where you are flying in from
but Google Voice is free to call any number in the USA, Canada or Puerto Rico. If you are down her visiting family or staying with friends who have a computer, its a great option.