Recipe for Longaniza?

May 29, 2006
So, I've become hooked on this stuff. Garlicky sausage with fresh herbs in it. Any ever make their own? I'm mostly concerned about not knowing about the hygiene from where it's made and having it sit out all day. I'd make it without the casings.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
You must have been buying it from somewhere special. I have had great lorganiza but for the average stuff the recipe is:

Take lots of really chewy indigestable gristle
Grind up some bone - pork or any wild or domestic animal
Stick in a bit of garlic and grass (people will think it is herbs)
Loads of cornmeal
stuff into an unused super long thin condom.

There you go

There is even a you tube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwkYDTsF0y0

Matilda

May 29, 2006
The next town over, Otra Banda, is famous for it. I had some at a Pica Longa and it wasn't anything special, but from our colmado, it's quite good. I pay 80 pesos/pound for what I get now and use my Foreman grill to cook it.

I taste oregano and cilantro along with some other flavors.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
So Peter, it's the "some other flavors" that scares me.

The next town over, Otra Banda, is famous for it. I had some at a Pica Longa and it wasn't anything special, but from our colmado, it's quite good. I pay 80 pesos/pound for what I get now and use my Foreman grill to cook it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

i fail to understand how a man with your extensive knowedge of, and exposure to, food, could ever eat Dominican longaniza. it is singularly foul.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In general, one of the worst varieties of sausage made. I cannot imagine anyone trying to copy it.*

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
In general, one of the worst varieties of sausage made. I cannot imagine anyone trying to copy it.*

i can?t imagine worse sausage. it is not possible. and that is saying a mouthful, because the vilest sausages i have seen originate right here.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'm a huge fan of sausages, being polish, ya know. i tried longaniza for the first time a day before my trip back to the UK (i did not live in DR yet). and lemme tell you that for the first time in my life i appreciated tight fit of airplane toilets for i could evacuate from both sides at the same time. that continued for about a week. second try, i was sick for 3 days. third time, 24 hour bodily fluids fest.

it's hard to say why i felt obliged to eat it and suffer. maybe my love for sausages runs deep. these days i only eat longaniza in sancocho and soups. it's really rather mediocre product, as far as sausages go.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i'm a huge fan of sausages, being polish, ya know. i tried longaniza for the first time a day before my trip back to the UK (i did not live in DR yet). and lemme tell you that for the first time in my life i appreciated tight fit of airplane toilets for i could evacuate from both sides at the same time. that continued for about a week. second try, i was sick for 3 days. third time, 24 hour bodily fluids fest.

it's hard to say why i felt obliged to eat it and suffer. maybe my love for sausages runs deep. these days i only eat longaniza in sancocho and soups. it's really rather mediocre product, as far as sausages go.

i am still trying to figure out why you would eat that thing more than once.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I really had hoped it, longaniza, would be good. *It ain't no kielbasa and isn't even as good as a kishka.*

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
Longaniza MUST be bought from a reliable source, not from the side of the road or hanging out on top of a shack!

I made a stop on the old pop to santiago road, picked up carne salado and longaniza. What a mistake! I had 2 days of diarehea ,6 days of uncontrolable gas . The flight home was very bad, double screening by security at departure. Put the a/c on high and carried a blanket on the flight, poor dude sitting next to me.

The right process to make it is from a freshly slaughtered pig, mixed with typical campo herbs, let hang indoors for the afternoon. From what i remember , boiles before hanging.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I have actually done it a couple of times,but can't remember why I did it more than once.
Ghastly and ghristly.gnurly and curly but overall quite an unpleasant experience.
If you are really that much in need,slice up your old trainers and cook them with grease and garlic.
Can't be worse..

May 29, 2006
They must do it differently around here... No problems down below and no fillers. I buy mine frozen at the colmado. Like comparing what passes for hot dogs down here for Nathan's.

When I bring down my sausage making kit, I'll also be making landj?ger, a dried smoked meat snack.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
They must do it differently around here... No problems down below and no fillers. I buy mine frozen at the colmado. Like comparing what passes for hot dogs down here for Nathan's.

i have not yet seen any Dominican sausage which is edible. if you want anything resembling decent sausage, you have to get something made by a European or American. Dominicans know less than zero about making sausage. i bought some so called breakfast sausage in La Sirena, and i would not feed it to a rodent...

May 29, 2006
I remember looking for breakfast sausage years ago in Sosua and they only had freezer burned brown and serve sausage... "cat turds". But last year, there was some kind of tasty smoked meat stick that I assume was produced by a German butcher..

American style breakfast sausage has sage as its primary spice.

Looks like I'll be taking up charcuterie as a hobby..just because most Dominicans make longoniza bad, doesn't mean I can't make it good!

I had a link once with several hundred sausage recipes for butcher shops. I'll have to track it down again. Longoniza isn't just Dominican and there are variations are all over the world.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I remember looking for breakfast sausage years ago in Sosua and they only had freezer burned brown and serve sausage... "cat turds". But last year, there was some kind of tasty smoked meat stick that I assume was produced by a German butcher..

American style breakfast sausage has sage as its primary spice.

Looks like I'll be taking up charcuterie as a hobby..just because most Dominicans make longoniza bad, doesn't mean I can't make it good!

I had a link once with several hundred sausage recipes for butcher shops. I'll have to track it down again. Longoniza isn't just Dominican and there are variations are all over the world.

i make breakfast sausage patties for myself, and the occasional friend. i have my proprietary spice blend, and get a butcher to *grind me a 75/25 blend. i used to *sell to restaurants, but don?t bother anymore. better than anything you can get in any supermarket here. way better.

i have a few longaniza recipes stashed away, somewhere. they are basically Filipino. just from the ingredients you can tell they are not the dog droppings they call longaniza here.