Shipping From Canada

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
Any suggestions on shipping items from Canada (British Columbia) to Santo Domingo in the DR....?
I have an antique desk and chair in storage in British Columbia that I would like to have in my house in Santo Domingo.
How would I ship items of that size from Canada to SD and what kind of duty would I expect to pay...?

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Any suggestions on shipping items from Canada (British Columbia) to Santo Domingo in the DR....?
I have an antique desk and chair in storage in British Columbia that I would like to have in my house in Santo Domingo.
How would I ship items of that size from Canada to SD and what kind of duty would I expect to pay...?

Just went through that situation, I have many things in the Minnesota, usa , area. That I would like to have in my house in DR. Never When as far as looking into customs, the shipping charges were many times the value of my things........DOC.....

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Also just yesterday paid app, $450 usd, for a 40 inch tv, at pricemart. I have brought down 2 to the DR, biggest I can get in my luggage is 32 inch. BTW Walmart in MPLS MINN. has 40 inch tv for $148 on sale. Good Luck...........

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm not an expert but get well informed if you plan to import wood products. Lots of regulations about treated wood etc.

Also be aware of the wood eating bugs here that might not be too kind to your wooden antiques.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm not an expert but get well informed if you plan to import wood products. Lots of regulations about treated wood etc.

Also be aware of the wood eating bugs here that might not be too kind to your wooden antiques.

Really good point!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Also just yesterday paid app, $450 usd, for a 40 inch tv, at pricemart. I have brought down 2 to the DR, biggest I can get in my luggage is 32 inch. BTW Walmart in MPLS MINN. has 40 inch tv for $148 on sale. Good Luck...........

Have it shipped to a mudanza (Awilda is mine- NYC/Corona NY) and they will move it on to you in RD.

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com

Good point. I once experienced the wood eating bugs with a cabinet that was made from press-board, one of the ones that comes in a box and you assemble it yourself. Had to get rid of the cabinet. Is there any treatment available to rid wood of those bugs...?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
There are treatments and there have been several threads here on DR1 about getting rid these pests and the piles of sawdust they leave under your furniture. These run the gamut from throwing the furniture in the pool for 24 hours to sprays and powders. I would think the best course of action is to prevent the bugs from feasting to begin with. This would probably require a thick layer of some type of lacquer. You are not supposed to be able to import untreated wood or furniture into the DR. Same going the other way, if sending wood from here to wherever home is.

The high humidity here is not wood friendly. Press-board turns to porridge. Quality furniture made from non native softwood that is held together by joints rather than nails tends to pop the joints due to the increased in pressure caused by swelling. Wood needs to be sealed from the bugs and the environment. Probably not something you would be too keen to do with an old antique furniture.