Driving in DR

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The government appear to have a new policy of posting videos (as posted on Diario Libre) showing some accidents which have occurred due to drivers ignoring red lights, prohibited turns and so on......

Red light violation by motorbike and accident....

[video=youtube_share;k1xfENa8yDY]https://youtu.be/k1xfENa8yDY[/video]

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The latest road safety campaign started on Monday and was announced in the DR1 News yesterday
Road Safety Campaign begins
The government launched a campaign on Monday, 24 October 2016 to raise awareness to reduce the high number of traffic accidents in the country.

The campaign slogan is “Drive responsibly for yourself, for others and for your loved ones.”

The Presidency Communication Office says that data compiled from the 911 emergency system shows that one traffic accident occurred every five minutes last week, which translates to 12 accidents an hour, 288 a day and 2,024 during the seven days of the week.

Motorbikes are involved in seven out of ten of these accidents, according to the statistics. The press release states that many motorcyclists cause the accidents due to reckless and irresponsible driving. Motorcyclists are involved in 7 of 10 accidents, according to 911 data.

Traffic accidents are the main cause of death among people between the ages of 15 and 19 in the world and the Dominican Republic has the highest rate in the Western Hemisphere and second-highest worldwide with 29.3 deaths for every 100,000 citizens in the last year.

http://www.listindiario.com/la-repub...es-de-transito
https://presidencia.gob.do/noticias/...-en-rojo-video

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/159360-Tuesday, 25 October 2016

Sep 4, 2012
I truly laugh at individuals as Pichardo and Virgil whenever they make an attempt to "flash" the use of latest technologies available and being utilized by the government or private entities in the DR.

What's clearly understood by most of us and not yet by either of these two, is the fact that no techno toy would ever suffice for "common sense," morality, cordiality and most of all -- the individual desire of following established laws and doing the right thing.

Traffic lights, AMET or any high tech equipment is never enough to replace and stop stupidity, absurdity and always behave as "chivo sin ley."

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I truly laugh at individuals as Pichardo and Virgil whenever they make an attempt to "flash" the use of latest technologies available and being utilized by the government or private entities in the DR.

What's clearly understood by most of us and not yet by either of these two, is the fact that no techno toy would ever suffice for "common sense," morality, cordiality and most of all -- the individual desire of following established laws and doing the right thing.

Traffic lights, AMET or any high tech equipment is never enough to replace and stop stupidity, absurdity and always behave as "chivo sin ley."

Common sense is clearly lacking in each of the 4 videos. More than that....awareness of ones personal safety and that of others is totally absent.

Re-education of drivers, rather total re-education is the only hope. And it has to start somewhere whether it be government campaigns or the results of a road safety commission.

Seeing such madness should be a wake up call to all, but also should be essential viewing by anyone thinking of hiring a car in DR because they would not expect this type of behavior in their wildest dreams.

And in the meantime for us foreigners driving here knowing the score, extreme caution remains the storyline.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i love how the driver in "a mi me da tiempo" video just drives off. ha ha ha. well done, sir, well done.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
The government appear to have a new policy of posting videos (as posted on Diario Libre) showing some accidents which have occurred due to drivers ignoring red lights, prohibited turns and so on......

Red light violation by motorbike and accident....

[video=youtube_share;k1xfENa8yDY]https://youtu.be/k1xfENa8yDY[/video]

That is awful. The guy clearly had a green, but did not have the decency to check if the right away was clear of a larger or higher value car, such as the jipeta, and clearly caused the accident. Jk, well, sort of.

Oops, wrong video. But, my comment is still pointless (unless you want to avoid an accident(.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this one is pretty neat, look where the driver ended up...

[video=youtube;jq0jS-HS4Wg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq0jS-HS4Wg[/video]

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Here is the part that confuses me. What do these two functionaries think these videos will show the public that isn't on display in real life EVERY single day? As far as I'm concerned, this is more about politicians promoting themselves and presenting an image of "I'm making a difference."

Seriously, drive from one side of town to the other along a major Santo domingo thoroughfare and you will see plenty of examples of these and other bonehead moves.
Common sense is clearly lacking in each of the 4 videos. More than that....awareness of ones personal safety and that of others is totally absent.

Re-education of drivers, rather total re-education is the only hope. And it has to start somewhere whether it be government campaigns or the results of a road safety commission.

Seeing such madness should be a wake up call to all, but also should be essential viewing by anyone thinking of hiring a car in DR because they would not expect this type of behavior in their wildest dreams.

And in the meantime for us foreigners driving here knowing the score, extreme caution remains the storyline.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Here is the part that confuses me. What do these two functionaries think these videos will show the public that isn't on display in real life EVERY single day? As far as I'm concerned, this is more about politicians promoting themselves and presenting an image of "I'm making a difference."

Seriously, drive from one side of town to the other along a major Santo domingo thoroughfare and you will see plenty of examples of these and other bonehead moves.

You know what, I'm driving through SD everyday big part of he day and only saw these videos yesterday. I'm not a careless driver, but did adapt to Dominican way of forcing myself in when needed. Since today I notice myself thinking about the videos when I cross an intersection. I think they do work.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
In at least two of these videos, a pedestrian and cyclist was within mere feet of an out of control vehicular projectile. Amazing that both were lucky enough to avoid getting crunched. I assume this is not always the case for the truly innocent that are just ambling by at the wrong time.*

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I worked in trauma ER and ICU for years. I was lucky to get the patients after excellent public and private EMS. God bless Taxachusetts. Freaked me out. Now I'm happier in Neuro. Less bloody.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013

Things change over time through videos like these. I know "public discourse" is often derided here, but it does work. Generationally.

You're also correct about the politician always mugging and shoving. I'm sure there are worthless family members employed by all the fancy logo agencies imprinted in the video.

They are excellent quality video. No privacy anywhere. Maybe Pichardo's cashless DR is soon to be real.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015

The rules of the road doesn't exist here. Well, there is one: The gringo is always at fault.

At best, rules of the road are a suggestion towards what the traffic may be doing. It's more like pedestrian traffic in a crowded mall. You tend to hang to the right, but not required. You tend to let the oncoming people pass before turning left into a store, but not always. The bratty kids running around are like motos and pasolas. The obese/geriatric crowd are on electric scooters running at a 1/5 of the traffic speed. People stop just to chat or for unknown reasons. There are people that bump into everybody and have no concept of personal space are the taxis that like to swap paint like DNA to a grinder/tinder user. Despite your best efforts, you bump into people. It's normal. That's DR driving.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud the efforts to start enforcing the rules. It's definitely time, a great source of revenue, and a way to start dealing with the egregious risk takers. Like the US or Europe, it's never going to be a perfect system (until we remove the human element).

benja123

Jan 20, 2012
these videos could be in Houston. Red light violations are so common almost no one hurries to move forward on a green.