Scuba Diving

chatbug

Feb 17, 2002
So I thought I would like to snorkel. Now I am thinking maybe I should try scuba. I have never considered it before... I have lots of stupid questions. Is it "very" physical? Do I need to wear wet suit? How much is it? Do you have to dive very deep? How deep?

Thanks!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Many beach hotels offer PADI instruction. You need to take it level by level. Almost anyone can do level one. You just need to know how to swim. You do not need a wet suit in the DR.

DRW

Jan 23, 2002
SCUBA

I highly recommend SCUBA diving. It is very beautiful!!!!!!!!!!! My husband and I use to snorkel while on vacation, then about 5 years ago we decided we would both get certified before the next vacation we took. My husband, jumped right in and was comfortable right away. I on the other hand had to try it a couple times before I decided I really liked it. And I was fairly comfortable in the water ... but had to adjust to all the equipment. NOW I LOVE DIVING!!

Our last diving experience was in Jamacia and we didn't need to wear wet suits. So I don't think you'd need it in the DR either. Yes, you can rent all the equipment from dives shops and at the hotels. And most of the hotels have the "quick" PADI certification. All you have to be able to do is swim ... and basically you don't even have to know how to swim correctly. Then they'll take you down on a shallow dive, something like 30-35 feet.

My own opinion is I'd rather be certified and know how all the equipment works than do the quick course at the hotel. There are also tricks you learn in the real classes, like how to get the water out of your mask while under water, what to do if a part of your equipment gets caught on something etc. And it's not that expensive to become certified. I think we paid about $200 U.S. But we have friends who have done the hotel thing a few times and are fine with that.

Oh, and your other question was if it is "physical." No it's not at all physical. If fact the slower you move and the calmer you remain the better your dive experience will be.

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
chatbug said:
So I thought I would like to snorkel. Now I am thinking maybe I should try scuba. I have never considered it before... I have lots of stupid questions. Is it "very" physical? Do I need to wear wet suit? How much is it? Do you have to dive very deep? How deep?

Thanks!

I have scuba dived all over the Caribbean, including the Cayman Islands. If you haven't done it, do it. You can learn how and dive the same day.

But to be honest, I find snorkelling to be more fun. The closer you are to the surface, the brighter things appear (shallow water) and I found the sights to be about the same with both.

The biggest reason I perfer snorkelling over scuba diving is that when scuba diving, you must have, stay close to, and pay constant attention to a partner, not to mention the constant float-sink-float that takes place while breathing. You want to get close to something to see, but when you exhale, you start to sink and nobody wants to sink into something sharp. I'd rather concentrate on the scenery.

Travlwizz

Feb 2, 2002
Scuba in the DR

Just back from the DR and Scuba there is good! I took an introductory course at the Casa Marina Beach hotel with an instructor from the Aqua Centre. The cost was 50.00 US and that gave me a theory class of 45 minutes to 1 hour, two pool sessions or more till I was comforable with the gear and breathing apparatus. Then it was off to the ocean for my first dive. Unfortunately, I had a hole in my ear drum (did not know it ..) and when I hit 18 feet, the pain was pretty scary. Needless to say, I can not attempt diving again until the hole heals or is repaired. What I did see was magnificent!

San-Pio Rodriguez was the instructor at the hotel and was great to work with. I would suggest that you give scuba a try. I wore a wet suit because of the coral reef and the difference in temperature when diving...the instructor suggested that I do so. Water was not all that warm way down there but sure peaceful! So...enjoy!

Deb

chatbug

Feb 17, 2002
scuba

Thanks everybody for the fantastic advice! I am hesitant still, but I have decided to at least take a beginner course at the hotel and see how it goes. I'll let you know when I get back!