Is it safe to leave a condo vacant?

DominiRican

Apr 7, 2004
Hello all, LOOOOOOONG time lurker. I am at the point I can purchase a modest condo as a second home in the DR, but retirement is still a long ways away. I am looking at condos in Sosua, but it will remain vacant 95% of the time. Will it be safe in these clusters of condos that have security? I know it's an awfully subjective question, but I am wondering if anyone else here has a home in the DR but they live mostly in their home country.

I have family that visit pretty often and I can have them check in on the condo. I also have cousins and other family that currently live in the DR, but I don't know them and my gut is telling me not to trust them.

I tried searching for an existing thread, but I failed.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Hello all, LOOOOOOONG time lurker. I am at the point I can purchase a modest condo as a second home in the DR, but retirement is still a long ways away. I am looking at condos in Sosua, but it will remain vacant 95% of the time. Will it be safe in these clusters of condos that have security? I know it's an awfully subjective question, but I am wondering if anyone else here has a home in the DR but they live mostly in their home country.

I have family that visit pretty often and I can have them check in on the condo. I also have cousins and other family that currently live in the DR, but I don't know them and my gut is telling me not to trust them.

I tried searching for an existing thread, but I failed.

Only if the complex has trustworthy 24 hour security.
Where are you looking to buy?
Mack.

DominiRican

Apr 7, 2004
Only if the complex has trustworthy 24 hour security.
Where are you looking to buy?
Mack.

I've only visited Punta Cana so far, but when looking for property I find downtown Sosua pretty interesting. I plan on visiting that region the next time I go sometime shortly after the new year.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I have a place in Dr empty 80% we dont rent out no problems ... Nobody can tell you condo rules every condo has different rules..I have villa so my rules...

DominiRican

Apr 7, 2004
I have a place in Dr empty 80% we dont rent out no problems ... Nobody can tell you condo rules every condo has different rules..I have villa so my rules...

There's no security in your area? I would like a villa, but I thought it would be unsafe. I guess you can tech it out and monitor it from anywhere.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Cameras internet ..we had security at gate 8 yrs ago been better without... Some condos in caberete and Sosua charge you outrageous fees in my opinion that force you to rent to recover some of your money is why I choose villa ... Goodluck with your choice I have no regrets with mine ...

Last edited:

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
I've only visited Punta Cana so far, but when looking for property I find downtown Sosua pretty interesting. I plan on visiting that region the next time I go sometime shortly after the new year.

Punta Cana and Sosua are two different beasts for many reasons. PM me for more insight.
This thread will likely take off in a direction that may not be helpful to you.
Mack.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
If your only going to be here 1-2 weeks a year, then rent. If you don't like the one you rent, then try another next time. Sosua may not be what you end up wanting. What you will pay in condo fees will be more the you spend to rent.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It makes no sense to purchase a condo that is used as little as you say it will be. None at all.*

Jan 7, 2016
We only justified the purchase of our condo in Punta Cana based on the fact that we're here 6 months out of the year. The place has 24 hour security and we have an agency come-in and air-out the place and flush the toilets and fill the drains monthly. It makes a difference if you're only going to be here a short time once or twice a year. Plus, you have a monthly charge for electric service, even if you don't use it.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
It kind of depends on your budget. You can spend 75,000 usd on a unit with full time security, but you can't be guaranteed that the management won't get sloppy at some time in the future. They can run out of money, hire dopes for security, etc.

If you're budget is more than that, you can find a place with very good reputation, good security and can be reasonably assured your investment is protected when you're not there.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
To answer your question directly, yes, you can. Club Residencial, The Garden Condo, and El Neptuno, are three not on the ocean in your price range. All have good security. F.y.i. most problems come from owners who bring people into thier property.
Good luck and if you buy, you should really think about renting it out. If not like other posters have said before, rent.

Vacation Rentals at,
www.casadecompai.com

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Personally if your staying a month a yr not worth it....we stay 3-4 months a yr and love it our stuff ..out beds...no worries what a black light would show us...if you have atleast 75000 condo or 125000 villa to burn your in decent shape... Prices are good now and you have fredoom come and go as you like ...

DominiRican

Apr 7, 2004
Thanks for all the feedback, the reason why I considered buying is because I want it all paid for by the time I transition into the country, but think I will take the advice and rent something in different areas every time I visit to play it safe.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks for all the feedback, the reason why I considered buying is because I want it all paid for by the time I transition into the country, but think I will take the advice and rent something in different areas every time I visit to play it safe.

A very good decision.