Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and / or Overland 2012 - 2014 and BMW X5 2012

Too costly to own them in DR?

Any opinion about the cars?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caribmike View Post

stay away from both of those. Jeep has zero resale value, X5 is hard to sell.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Letting resale value aside, since I want to buy and resale is not very important to me. What about the advantages / disadvantages of owning them in DR?

I can imaging the BMW would cost a fortune in insurance, maintenance, parts etc. ?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Letting resale value aside, since I want to buy and resale is not very important to me. What about the advantages / disadvantages of owning them in DR?

I can imaging the BMW would cost a fortune in insurance, maintenance, parts etc. ?
    the insurance is not the issue...there is very little variance, since it is based on cylinders..

you hit the nail on the head with the other two.

5. Likes caribmike liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike:

From a purely quality perspective.....neither the Jeep or X5 for 2012. I do not have access to data on the Overland but suspect it would mirror the Jeep Grand Cherokee. For 2013, the X5 has a slight edge over the Jeep in quality. For 2014, not much differentiation....both are sub-par.

So, on a purely best of the sub-par in overall quality....2013 X5.

Obviously that should not be your only consideration....but they are models I personally would only buy at a significantly reduced price point.

Both the Jeep and X5 have had serious electronic issues during these years with 2014 being the worst year.

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2

7. Likes caribmike, frank12 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the BMW. I see what you mean. In supercarros.com there are maybe 3 what fit my planned budget, yet 30 + Grand Cherokees.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

European vehicles can be a joy to own and drive. *But that joy is derived from very high sophistication. *They are incredibly complex cars. *Take the suspension for instance. Where a Toyota would use a simple spring and shock absorber, a BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi or VW would employ an airbag as a spring, adjustable dampers that have oil inside that can change its viscosity using magnets and a multitude of sensors to keep it stable.

I enjoy the challenge of owning European cars here, but for me it is a hobby. *i had a Cayenne that would keep me busy and I currently have a Mercedes ML which I love, but has also been the cause of a lot of expense and time off the road. *But I am also very pernickety with my cars. *I like to keep them pristine.

The reason I can justify having these kinds of cars is that the missus has a Camry. *So at least we can be assured that we will always have a car that works.

10. Likes frank12, Ecoman1949 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    European vehicles can be a joy to own and drive. *But that joy is derived from very high sophistication. *They are incredibly complex cars. *Take the suspension for instance. Where a Toyota would use a simple spring and shock absorber, a BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi or VW would employ an airbag as a spring, adjustable dampers that have oil inside that can change its viscosity using magnets and a multitude of sensors to keep it stable.

I enjoy the challenge of owning European cars here, but for me it is a hobby. *i had a Cayenne that would keep me busy and I currently have a Mercedes ML which I love, but has also been the cause of a lot of expense and time off the road. *But I am also very pernickety with my cars. *I like to keep them pristine.

The reason I can justify having these kinds of cars is that the missus has a Camry. *So at least we can be assured that we will always have a car that works.
    if you want to go into the outback, take a Range Rover.

if you want to come out of the outback, take a Toyota Land Cruiser.

12. Likes beeza, USA DOC, frank12, Drperson, spmc and 2 others liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    if you want to go into the outback, take a Range Rover.

if you want to come out of the outback, take a Toyota Land Cruiser.

If you see a Land Rover that's not dripping oil on the road, it means that it's empty.

14. Likes frank12, Ecoman1949 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I am working from home, wouldn't need the car to commute, need it for leisure, shopping, some errands and the occasional trip on the island.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast