Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and / or Overland 2012 - 2014 and BMW X5 2012

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Letting resale value aside, since I want to buy and resale is not very important to me. What about the advantages / disadvantages of owning them in DR?

I can imaging the BMW would cost a fortune in insurance, maintenance, parts etc. ?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Letting resale value aside, since I want to buy and resale is not very important to me. What about the advantages / disadvantages of owning them in DR?

I can imaging the BMW would cost a fortune in insurance, maintenance, parts etc. ?

the insurance is not the issue...there is very little variance, since it is based on cylinders..

you hit the nail on the head with the other two.

Jan 9, 2004
Too costly to own them in DR?

Any opinion about the cars?

Mike:

From a purely quality perspective.....neither the Jeep or X5 for 2012. I do not have access to data on the Overland but suspect it would mirror the Jeep Grand Cherokee. For 2013, the X5 has a slight edge over the Jeep in quality. For 2014, not much differentiation....both are sub-par.

So, on a purely best of the sub-par in overall quality....2013 X5.

Obviously that should not be your only consideration....but they are models I personally would only buy at a significantly reduced price point.

Both the Jeep and X5 have had serious electronic issues during these years with 2014 being the worst year.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Yes, the BMW. I see what you mean. In supercarros.com there are maybe 3 what fit my planned budget, yet 30 + Grand Cherokees.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
European vehicles can be a joy to own and drive. *But that joy is derived from very high sophistication. *They are incredibly complex cars. *Take the suspension for instance. Where a Toyota would use a simple spring and shock absorber, a BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi or VW would employ an airbag as a spring, adjustable dampers that have oil inside that can change its viscosity using magnets and a multitude of sensors to keep it stable.

I enjoy the challenge of owning European cars here, but for me it is a hobby. *i had a Cayenne that would keep me busy and I currently have a Mercedes ML which I love, but has also been the cause of a lot of expense and time off the road. *But I am also very pernickety with my cars. *I like to keep them pristine.

The reason I can justify having these kinds of cars is that the missus has a Camry. *So at least we can be assured that we will always have a car that works.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
European vehicles can be a joy to own and drive. *But that joy is derived from very high sophistication. *They are incredibly complex cars. *Take the suspension for instance. Where a Toyota would use a simple spring and shock absorber, a BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi or VW would employ an airbag as a spring, adjustable dampers that have oil inside that can change its viscosity using magnets and a multitude of sensors to keep it stable.

I enjoy the challenge of owning European cars here, but for me it is a hobby. *i had a Cayenne that would keep me busy and I currently have a Mercedes ML which I love, but has also been the cause of a lot of expense and time off the road. *But I am also very pernickety with my cars. *I like to keep them pristine.

The reason I can justify having these kinds of cars is that the missus has a Camry. *So at least we can be assured that we will always have a car that works.

if you want to go into the outback, take a Range Rover.

if you want to come out of the outback, take a Toyota Land Cruiser.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
if you want to go into the outback, take a Range Rover.

if you want to come out of the outback, take a Toyota Land Cruiser.

If you see a Land Rover that's not dripping oil on the road, it means that it's empty.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I am working from home, wouldn't need the car to commute, need it for leisure, shopping, some errands and the occasional trip on the island.

Jan 9, 2004

Insurance is based on your requested coverages and the value of the automobile. The insurance companies with which I am familiar in the DR work off of stated value on the policy.....not actual cash value to replace the vehicle in a total loss situation. If you want more insurance than what the insurance company believes your vehicle is worth.....you will pay extra. Read your policy carefully.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
I am working from home, wouldn't need the car to commute, need it for leisure, shopping, some errands and the occasional trip on the island.

In that case, buy whichever one you like best and that offers the best pricing value to you.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006

How good are you on the tools? *Do you have a well equipped garage? *You will need to invest in some specialized tooling, like torx wrenches. *You should also purchase a decent OBDII scanner and a subscription to online workshop manuals like alldatadiy.com

If you can answer yes to all the above, then get the Beemer. *If you want outstanding performance with frugal fuel consumption, get a turbo diesel one.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Another thing to consider when buying a used European car is how the previous owner had cared for it.

These engines need regular oil changes with fully synthetic oil which is very expensive. *Just a simple oil change can cost well over 6,000 pesos.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Another thing to consider when buying a used European car is how the previous owner had cared for it.

These engines need regular oil changes with fully synthetic oil which is very expensive. *Just a simple oil change can cost well over 6,000 pesos.

Yep, we only use Mobil One in our DR car, expensive change, and Mr AE always asks to see the bottles to be sure what they're using and that they're sealed. *We always go to the same shop in SD, last time we went they checked the oil first and told him it was still very clean and not to waste money replacing it. (We don't use the car a lot, maybe 3-4,000 miles a year). *I'd heard that it should be changed anyway just based on time, but what do I know.........

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
OK. OK, no European car for me then. :D

The remaining then. T4R 2012 - 2014, Grand Cherokee Overland 2012, Ford Explorer 2012 - 2014.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
OK. OK, no European car for me then. :D

The remaining then. T4R 2012 - 2014, Grand Cherokee Overland 2012, Ford Explorer 2012 - 2014.

My choice out of those would be the Ford.

But thinking about your other thread I would seriously consider the Toyota 4 Runner, or even the new Highlander. *I really like the new Highlander.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Not sure about the Highlander. I like more the style of the 4runner.

From the looks my favorites are the Jeep and the 4Runner. The wife has a word in it too :D. She prefers the Explorer, so Jeep and 4Runner are a compromise. If it would be for me, I would get a Rubicon or Sahara, something rugged, lol.

The Explorer to me always appear to have somewhat too small wheels for the size of the car, but maybe it is only me...

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
What about a Prado?

For sure the best vehicles on the island without doubt.

It will never break down.
They are very luxurious inside. *Even have a fridge in the center console.
They are cheap to run.
They are not overly complicated outside of the capabilities of many Dominican mechanics.

Ok, so they are a little on the expensive side, but it will retain its value all day long and when you come to sell it, it will sell very fast.