"Tasador" for cars?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Hi,
I would like to figure out the (Dominican market) value to date of my car in Santo Domingo. How / where can I get that done?

Jan 9, 2004
Hi,
I would like to figure out the (Dominican market) value to date of my car in Santo Domingo. How / where can I get that done?

Mike:

There is no accepted way to value your car in the DR.

Two methods I use are;

1. Go to Supercarros and find like vehicles for sale. Throw out the high and low, then average the rest, and take 10% off of that; or

2. Go to NADA.com find your vehicle's retail value then increase that price by 35%.

Neither are perfect.....just guidelines.

More importantly, your specific vehicle's value is only what a willing buyer will pay at the time......and may be impacted by such factors as gas/diesel, color, number of cylinders, upgrades, maintenance history, etc.

While it is not a fully sophisticated/developed market, buyer's there are far more knowledgeable than ever.....many asking for carfax or autocheck reports, regularly looking to acsertain any repaired body damage, records, etc.

Color is extremely important. White and black sell best, followed by silver. That having been said, I see more and more Orange Hyundai's....popular with jevito's I guess.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Mike:

There is no accepted way to value your car in the DR.

Two methods I use are;

1. Go to Supercarros and find like vehicles for sale. Throw out the high and low, then average the rest, and take 10% off of that; or

2. Go to NADA.com find your vehicle's retail value then increase that price by 35%.

Neither are perfect.....just guidelines.

More importantly, your specific vehicle's value is only what a willing buyer will pay at the time......and may be impacted by such factors as gas/diesel, color, number of cylinders, upgrades, maintenance history, etc.

While it is not a fully sophisticated/developed market, buyer's there are far more knowledgeable than ever.....many asking for carfax or autocheck reports, regularly looking to acsertain any repaired body damage, records, etc.

Color is extremely important. White and black sell best, followed by silver. That having been said, I see more and more Orange Hyundai's....popular with jevito's I guess.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

those orange Hyundais are the imported ex taxicabs. that is the taxi color in Korea, i am told.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Yep, my Tucson 2014 Limited is black. Hope I'll find one to compare on supercarros. Thanks.

The orange ones are sedans right? Many of them are taxis.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Orang is the new black. Good advice from PC on the pricing. CARFAX anything used if possible.

Jan 9, 2004
Yep, my Tucson 2014 Limited is black. Hope I'll find one to compare on supercarros. Thanks.

Mike:

I gather it is size/styling you are seeking.....because, given the option between the X5 and the Jeep Grand Cherokee, I would keep your Tucson....unless the thing has been hit by a freight train and is experiencing other issues like doglegging, etc.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

if i was getting rid of a Tucson, i would get into a Santa Fe long before an X5 or *Grand Cherokee.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
With an ex wife and a new family I cannot afford to buy something new. (Heck, even if I could I don't want to pay the prices "they" are asking for new again, nor with financing like which I have now with the Tucson). So, my goal is to find something as luxury as possible and with as many gadgets as possible inside and as mean looking, rugged on the outside (picture hunting these damn publicos, lol).

That's why I came up with the JGC and the T4R, where the Jeep has a lot more in the package though...

The idea is to find one for around 35K max, trading in my Tucson for at least 15K so I get another ride for 20K. Something like that.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
those orange Hyundais are the imported ex taxicabs. that is the taxi color in Korea, i am told.

yes, they are all taxis from seoul. i saw a transport of them being delivered on a back of a car carrying truck in SD, they still had stickers on the side with phone number and company's name. i see a lot of them now. apparently they are a great deal and when you buy a few sellers throw in another of those cars gratis, in non working condition, for spare parts.

anyways, a good way to judge the value of the car is to check supercarros, corotos, la pulga virtual and so on. it will give you an idea of the prices people asking for any specific model.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
yes, they are all taxis from seoul. i saw a transport of them being delivered on a back of a car carrying truck in SD, they still had stickers on the side with phone number and company's name. i see a lot of them now. apparently they are a great deal and when you buy a few sellers throw in another of those cars gratis, in non working condition, for spare parts.

anyways, a good way to judge the value of the car is to check supercarros, corotos, la pulga virtual and so on. it will give you an idea of the prices people asking for any specific model.

there are a few of those N20s which were not taxicabs, but the majority of them were. if they were not cabs, they were rental cars. there is a very small number that were just regular private cars, but if you want one of those, you have to know what you are looking for. those have the back up cameras and two airbags.

i went to look at one for a DR1 member. it was at Japon Motors, in Santiago. it was about 30,000 pesos overpriced. i told the guy i could get the same car much cheaper at several other places. he informed me that his was imported!! i guess the others are made in La Vega.