Do Dominicans care about American politics?

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I've never met a Dominican who has tried to bring up politics before. Is this due to a lack of interest or because they feel that talking about politics would be rude? The problem is very bad in Europe, with unlimited amounts of arrogant people itching to voice their opinions on matters they are totally ignorant about. It does make me appreciate the polite and easy-going nature of nearly every Dominican I've met.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I've never met a Dominican who has tried to bring up politics before. Is this due to a lack of interest or because they feel that talking about politics would be rude? The problem is very bad in Europe, with unlimited amounts of arrogant people itching to voice their opinions on matters they are totally ignorant about. It does make me appreciate the polite and easy-going nature of nearly every Dominican I've met.

No offense ( with respect to every Dominicans you say u have met) , but the EDUCATED Dominicans talk about it a LOT and follow it very closely.. They will also ask you a lot of questions for clarification of what they see on TV and read about.
Unfortunately they also believe soundbites they hear over and over in the Media, no matter how Slanted and Biased it may be..
A lot of them seem to love Hillary , for all the wrong reasons, but that is their right to have that opinion.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

I've had several mention Hillary to me, and several say that Obama looks Dominican, but that's about it. *They ARE very passionate about Dominican politics and parties.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My inlaws (the male part of it) *can't talk about anything else. None wants Clinton to win and have high expectations she will lose.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Dominican politics is a full-contact spectator sport, down to chair-throwing and gunshots at conventions. They may not want to talk to gringos about it.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
In my campo they care about US politics just as much as Togolese politics.*
Same as me.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Dominican politics is a full-contact spectator sport, down to chair-throwing and gunshots at conventions. They may not want to talk to gringos about it.

Agreed. Those of us married to Dominicans see and hear more. *In my case, some of his relatives are/were very involved in various capacities, lots of passion. *One difference I do see is very often the wives and husbands belong to different parties, and chide each other without ever being nasty or rude. *Sometimes exasperation too, lol.*

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
He who knows all still has a lot to learn!

At least they do have opinions outside of telenovelas, hair, nails, beer, rum, and dominos.
Show some largess and forgive their ignorance, since you know more than them.
I did notice wile voicing their ignorant opinions, Europeans actually are involved in politics and care about them..... however ineptly.
Also Europeans seem to be cognizant of geography, in contrast to Dominicans knowing that everything else is "aufuera".
Indeed there are some educated Dominicans who know more about global politics, than some of those arrogant, opinionated and ignorant Europeans.
Engage in discussion, the next time you are at your local country club or colmadon to learn more.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Most Dominican Americans or those with family in the states follow American politics and have strong opinions. Most are Democrats because Dominicans know or think Democrats give you more free stuff and are softer on illegal immigrants. I have had this conversation with many Dominicans. My wife isn't interested in politics at all Dominican or American but she still has an opinion of who is the bigger crook.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Most Dominican Americans or those with family in the states follow American politics and have strong opinions. Most are Democrats because Dominicans know or think Democrats give you more free stuff and are softer on illegal immigrants. I have had this conversation with many Dominicans. My wife isn't interested in politics at all Dominican or American but she still has an opinion of who is the bigger crook.

That would not surprise me especially the NYC dwellers. The immigration side is puzzling because that is almost all coming through C. America / USA Southern border. Domincans have to do it legally. On a side note I have a few dates with a Nigerian American girl, she totally opposed to all things Hillary. She also has a graduate degree, and is a chruch going Christian. All of her family is highly educated also.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
On my last most recent visit many of my Dominican friends brought up the election to me. They knew who was running and even what many say about each. I think Dominicans many Dominicans pay attention to policitics both home and abroad. My guy is Dominican and he watches CNN in english and espanol with alot of interest in politics. Just my 2 cents

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
None of the Dominicans I know want anything to do with Trump. They say he is un hombre loco. lol

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This thread is teetering - posts must be about Dominicans in DR. No political views, not about Dominicans in US, etc.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Hillary Clinton, without exception.

gal-pr-campaing2.jpg

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
None of the Dominicans I know want anything to do with Trump. They say he is un hombre loco. lol
Then we live in alternate universes. I know MANY who like Trump and see him as a strong leader who won't take crap, and Hollary as someone more corrupt than Hippolito....

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Then we live in alternate universes. I know MANY who like Trump and see him as a strong leader who won't take crap, and Hollary as someone more corrupt than Hippolito....

Keep in mind that a culture as macho as DR, this isn't a surprising sentiment. Hillary should be taking care of the kids like a good abuela; let the men run things.

That's worked out well in DR, hasn't it?