Jet Blue-New Requirement

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
After trying to check in online and at the airport kiosk unsuccessfully , I went to the HelpDesk .

There is a new question at checkin , you must supply a return date or a visa for RD visits.

I entered on a one day ticket.
The system wouldn't accept the residency card.

Solution is to have the help desk check you in manually.

It seems you now need to prove your return or residency status to issue the boarding pass.

Vamos a ver.

This was for a JFK to POP flight today , Oct 31

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I suspect JetBlue got fined a few times for not doing so. *It has been a requirement by the DR government for years that passengers have a return ticket. This has been discussed previously and there are several ways around it, like buying a full fare ticket for the return and getting a refund.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
Idiotic post removed.

I would appreciate if posters did not engage these type of troll bait brain donor posts.

It just wastes my time, the mods time and reader's time.

Use the report function and we will take care of it.
It's much quicker and better for everyone.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Same old story - but the new twist is that the computer probably won't forget to ask you. *If you try to check in on line.

At the desk, they don't always ask. *For example, the last trip here they did not ask*at the desk f I had return trip booked. *The two times before, they asked. *Hit and miss.

(I always check in at the desk so I see they send my bag on it's way. And, that it does not get left on the sidewalk or somewhere away from the plane.)

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
So what if you just supply a return date... ! Does it ask for flight/ticket number... !? Does/can it check for validity, if on another airline...

It's been the same for Asian countries for years, people have all sorts of ways around it, a pedantic check-in staff could check your details and the return flight on their computer (with any airline), but usually any old fake itinerary or date/flight/ticket number satisfies the normal check-in staff.

But I have in the past just bought a cheap one way flight out of the country within 30 days for $25 and throw it away - just in case.... flights are so cheap there.

Buying a refundable ticket is also a good idea, but more than often they have on a small print an admin fee that they charge - also those tickets cost a lot and you never know when they change their rules...

Last edited:

sweetP

Sep 3, 2013
So what if you just supply a return date... ! Does it ask for flight/ticket number... !? Does/can it check for validity, if on another airline...

It's been the same for Asian countries for years, people have all sorts of ways around it, a pedantic check-in staff could check your details and the return flight on their computer (with any airline), but usually any old fake itinerary or date/flight/ticket number satisfies the normal check-in staff.

But I have in the past just bought a cheap one way flight out of the country within 30 days for $25 and throw it away - just in case.... flights are so cheap there.

Buying a refundable ticket is also a good idea, but more than often they have on a small print an admin fee that they charge - also those tickets cost a lot and you never know when they change they rules...

The same requirement has been in place when booking onine for a few months now also. I have found that, all they are looking for is any return date, and that usually suffices.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Same thing happened to us last August (JFK-SDQ), had to manually check-in with an agent showing a valid residency card.

Guess it pretty much just affects residents and citizens living "in country" when going away and trying to get back home.

Cant see JetBlue adding every residents info in their automated check-in system, would be a nightmare to keep it updated with all the glitches "in country" regarding getting the card or renewing it in general...

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I dont know how is with foreigners but when Im departing from Dominican they always ask me for a return ticket if I fooked in 2 diferents airlines, and overseas specially in Canada always ask me if Im resident in Canada or Where I live when coming back.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I gave a date, didn't work- I'm on a one way.

I asked at the gate, they confirmed the policy.
Maybe, maybe they will adjust the system to accept residency cards.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Same thing happened to us last August (JFK-SDQ), had to manually check-in with an agent showing a valid residency card.

Guess it pretty much just affects residents and citizens living "in country" when going away and trying to get back home.

Cant see JetBlue adding every residents info in their automated check-in system, would be a nightmare to keep it updated with all the glitches "in country" regarding getting the card or renewing it in general...

They are simply doing what they should be doing and is an international norm. They are responsible for the cost of repatriating any passenger flown in on their aircraft and Immigration now have a proper digital record of all passenger arrivals which was something lacking several months ago.

AA, Jet Blue and BA always asked me for proof of residency when I flew back to DR on their tickets.

This is very much the norm when travelling. As Riva points out when one travels from DR to another island the airline checks to see if you can stay in that country without visa and for reasonable period.

Just think about it. DR has repatriated 154 other nationalities other than Haitians up to October this year already so a few airlines may already be feeling the heat with costs.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
No question about that.

Watch the new biometric cards come into play*

Residents now get fingerprinted every time they arrive at SDQ irrespective of whether you are in the system already. New better fingerprints machines and no cameras anymore. Questions asked about where you stay etc.......more thorough like our home countries........longer queues the down side.....so get a front seat in the plane.

We heard they are doing the same at STI, but have the changes reached POP or PUJ yet?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Residents now get fingerprinted every time they arrive at SDQ irrespective of whether you are in the system already. New better fingerprints machines and no cameras anymore. Questions asked about where you stay etc.......more thorough like our home countries........longer queues the down side.....so get a front seat in the plane.

We heard they are doing the same at STI, but have the changes reached POP or PUJ yet?

Im using now the automatic gate to get out and come in the country, so my fingerprint and picture every time, is faster and I skip the big line. The system is also in STI running, will be matter of time to reach PUJ and POP.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Im using now the automatic gate to get out and come in the country, so my fingerprint and picture every time, is faster and I skip the big line. The system is also in STI running, will be matter of time to reach PUJ and POP.

Will they extend the autogate use (rarely in operation when I have passed through of recent...always taped off) to residents in due course?

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Sometimes they ask; sometimes (most) they don't.

So you buy a round-trip and as soon as you come back, you cancel the return. I've been doing this for years.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I suspect JetBlue got fined a few times for not doing so. *It has been a requirement by the DR government for years that passengers have a return ticket. This has been discussed previously and there are several ways around it, like buying a full fare ticket for the return and getting a refund.

Maybe it's been a requirement for years, but they must have just started enforcing it recently(?). I, many friends, and many owners here at the condo where I live have come to POP for years w/o any problem on a one-way ticket. Maybe we've all just been lucky(?).

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
When I went to Colombia on vacation, the gate agent in MDE on my way back challenged me about my return ticket to the US. Fortunately I have a valid Work Visa and that made short work of that conversation.