What to do when arrested in Sosua / Cab

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
From time to time we hear of people being arrested by the police in DR for various reasons. Sometimes rightfully and other times not. I thought we could do a thread for folks to share resources about what to do / who to call when these things happen. Contacts at embassy's, in the police departments, lawyers etc. to start a reference point - links to resources. God forbid it were to happen to someone here it would be great to have a resource / starting point. If you have information on resources or tips on what to do - can you post them here?

One tip I have that I learned when a Dominican friend of mine was arrested last year is that it is best to resolve it with the police or Fiscal before it getting to the courts because once it passes the Fiscal things can get very complicated and expensive...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Resolve it with the Police is correct. Once it reaches the Fiscal it is in the Courts. Then the price of poker goes up.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
The only time I was facing arrest it was a shake down. I ended up paying them $800 pesos, talked with them for 10 minutes afterward, shared some laughs, recieved an apology but not a refund, and ended up with a fist bump. Police get paid nothing and need to make "tips" to pay the bills.

I've gotten rides from the police in sosua. Nice guys and tips are accepted.

If you deserve a trip to the police station, watch yourself. You found trouble.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
In the prior tropical island paradise I used to live part time before the country went to Narco hell, I always had a couple sources for getting me out of the country across the border fast if necessary. I could use some names here to keep on the rollodex.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I'm sure there's more than one member on this forum who's been to jail in Sosua...and no, I'm
not talking about me :D

Mu?ecote

Aug 1, 2006
dont get upset and start yelling and screaming about calling your embassy or other bs
call your lawyer sooner rather than later. make sure he is someone who understands how things work not the guy who handled your real estate deal
dont get fingerprinted before you talk to your lawyer

when you get out make an honest assessment or how you are living your life here

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
It's actually very easy to get out of jail in the DR. Negotiate a price, pay the money and you're good to go. It's always about the money. Remember that and you will have no problems.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Police

It also sort of depends for what and with whom and when.

If you're a car full of gringos: just BOHICA and fork over the $$$. And always keep your major $$ in a different place. Keep $500 in your wallet and the rest under the seat, in your bra (if applicable) or up your a**. Because whatever is in your wallet is your fine.

I have no firsthand experience, but I would imagine that if a Pavement Princess is involved, that might change the equation.

And Lord help you if you have one scrap of weed on you, bc for Dominican cops, you have entered "Breaking Bad" territory. And don't EVEN begin to imagine if there are any traces of La Puta Blanca. And if you are gay: fuggedaboudit.

Danceelite

Mar 22, 2007
I agree with most posters here! I have been arrested twice! I had a bad car accident a few years back and was found to be at fault due some very shady circumstances. My dominican girlfriend, later became my wife, came to the rescue. She called an X boyfriend and told me to fend an injury so I would be immediately shipped to a cell. The X got there flashed his badge and I was immediately released into his custody with a court date. Luckily I had good auto insurance Budget rental car, they provided a lawyer. Both cars were totaled and after several court dates the whole case just seemed to disappear. The other party never should to any of the court dates. Lucky me! Second time my fault completely I am on the Malecon in SD doing something totlally wrong police pull me and my buddy over. Long story short they separated both of us a short trip to the money machine 10,000 pesos apiece and we were once again free men. Money talks in the DR they pay the police pennies if you are caught wrong pay and 90% of the time you can walk with your freedom.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
It all depends, sometime the amount you can buy your freedom might be just too much or hard to negotiate. So I think a list of useful (criminal) lawyers with their address and phone numbers could be useful to have here (and later on your phone).

As someone mentioned real-state, immigration lawyers etc. might not be much help - though they direct you to their buddies if not greedy. (A bad lawyer could cause more damage to the case than no lawyer, so let's have your best contacts here as a sticky somewhere.)

As for accidents I have been told never accept liability or pay anything but contact insurance company right away and seek their advise - though that is easier said than done....

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
It all depends, sometime the amount you can buy your freedom might be just too much or hard to negotiate. So I think a list of useful (criminal) lawyers with their address and phone numbers could be useful to have here (and later on your phone).

As someone mentioned real-state, immigration lawyers etc. might not be much help - though they direct you to their buddies if not greedy. (A bad lawyer could cause more damage to the case than no lawyer, so let's have your best contacts here as a sticky somewhere.)

As for accidents I have been told never accept liability or pay anything but contact insurance company right away and seek their advise - though that is easier said than done....

And seperate the what-to-do between the I-did-nothing/I-am-innocent and the I-broke-the-law.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
You know how many times I have been followed by tourist cops to the restrooms in DR?

Plenty. Did they catch me doing anything other than mother nature? Nope..........................

Plenty of them I caught looking over my stall to see what I was doing. Sorry, you aren't catching me. NO NO!!!!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I thought this thread was going to be like the sticky on Puerto Plata. A list of must have phone numbers. :(

Apr 10, 2014
Do not use a lawyer unless there is no way of buying yourself out of the slammer. *You will only be paying more between the "fine" and his legal fees. As much as I despise lawyers in the states, the lawyers here at are an even higher level of sleaze.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
You know how many times I have been followed by tourist cops to the restrooms in DR?

Plenty. Did they catch me doing anything other than mother nature? Nope..........................

Plenty of them I caught looking over my stall to see what I was doing. Sorry, you aren't catching me. NO NO!!!!!

So true, when living in Sosua this happened to me more than once.