Plane Ticket with a connection in Venezuela

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
So, if I purchase a ticket for a flight that routes through Caracas, Venezuela, do I need a Visa for that? (Normally, US citizens need a tourist visa or similar for Venezuela.)

I know there are places like Panama that have customs outside of the concourse, so travelers change flights and don't need a visa for that country unless they exit.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
When I buy my tickets on-line (United Airlines) there is a link to a drop down menu to determine the visa requirements.
You enter the country that issues your passport.
The country that your travel is originating in.
Any intermediate stops (such as Venezuela )
And the country of your final destination.
Press "ENTER" and it gives you all the visa requirements(plus a link for any medical requirements).

Your airline might have the same thing?

Feb 7, 2007
as per Timatic web:

Venezuela - Transit Visa

Visa required.
Transiting without a visa is possible for:

Holders of confirmed onward tickets for a max. transit time of 24 hours.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You do not need a Visa to change flights in Venezuela. As long as it is within 24 hours as listed in above post.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
So, if I purchase a ticket for a flight that routes through Caracas, Venezuela, do I need a Visa for that? (Normally, US citizens need a tourist visa or similar for Venezuela.)

I know there are places like Panama that have customs outside of the concourse, so travelers change flights and don't need a visa for that country unless they exit.

Where is are you actually going? If it is to Cental or South America this makes sense but it you are going North I am not sure what you are doing?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Where is are you actually going? If it is to Cental or South America this makes sense but it you are going North I am not sure what you are doing?

Yes, I would like to know where are you going, because not too many airlines are flying to Caracas, a lot of them are coming to SDQ to take another flights to diferent destinations.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I'm thinking of flying to Equador or Lima Peru to continue my tour of Latin America in installments. There's a round trip flight from SDQ for around $460 USD. However, it would probably make more sense for me to fly through the USA, so I can swop out gear for hiking in altitudes. (I still remember flying into Guatemala City only to wear every stitch of clothing I owned to stay warm. )

Last edited:

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I'm thinking of flying to Equador or Lima Peru to continue my tour of Latin America in installments. There's a round trip flight from SDQ for around $460 USD. However, it would probably make more sense for me to fly through the USA, so I can swop out gear for hiking in altitudes. (I still remember flying into Guatemala City only to wear every stitch of clothing I owned to stay warm. )

From Santo Domingo you can fly with Copa an stop in Panama and Avianca with stop in Bogot?