Send Package that's under $200. Tax?

Vibe_2020

Jul 1, 2003
Hello,

What is the best was to send a package from USA where the contents is under $200?

I've tried EPS in the past but I was given the impression that they will tax you even if under $200.

Can anyone share experience or provide insight?

Jan 17, 2009
There are no duty taxes on packages under $200, but you do pay for ITBIS. *I've used EPS in the past. *If I remember correctly, EPS quotes the ITBIS separate from the courier services, where other companies simply have a flat rate per pound regardless of the dollar amount of the package. *I now use CPS and I'm very happy with their services. *They're also somewhat cheaper and deliver to your home.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
On the north coast CPS and Encargopaq work will. I have yet to change over to CPS. I only pay a shipping rate per pound on items under $200 with Encargopaq. The ITIBIS you are paying is on the shipping charges, not the cost of the item.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I use EPS all the time. There is no ITBIS or any other tax. You pay shipping from EPS, which is about 270 rd per pound. In fact I just left the office and picked up a book I ordered.

What the last poster said is true, ITBIS on shipping. Which comes to next to nothing.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
This is what I use:

EPS if I want it quickly, usually two working days upon arrival into Miami.
CPS if I don't need it in a hurry, a little cheaper and delivered to my door.
Encargopaq for heavy items. *It comes by sea and takes around two weeks. *Fee is based on a 33% of the value of the item, includes shipping and taxes.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
WE use CPS for all shipping and are very happy with them. Fast and reliable. We have shipped anything from 1 pound to 75 pounds of weight.

Bob K

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
in POP there is a great service called CARIPACK. 190 pesos per pound, and really professional operation. i had an event where the seller dicked me around on an item, and Caripack gave me a credit, then went after PAYPAL.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Of note, if you have a larger order and decide to split it up in smaller valued shipments, make sure you don't order everything at the same time with the same arrival date. *If on arrival Aduanas realizes it, they'll stick everything into 1 shipment and charge you the tax. *Not your shipper's fault.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Of note, if you have a larger order and decide to split it up in smaller valued shipments, make sure you don't order everything at the same time with the same arrival date. *If on arrival Aduanas realizes it, they'll stick everything into 1 shipment and charge you the tax. *Not your shipper's fault.

That sounds uncharacteristically efficient. :)

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
In POP we used CPS. An employee left the company and started Aeropac then the name changed to Marine Express. Miami address and 150 RD per pound. Works good and we get email alerts. Oh...and no tax under 200.00 US.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
In POP we used CPS. An employee left the company and started Aeropac then the name changed to Marine Express. Miami address and 150 RD per pound. Works good and we get email alerts. Oh...and no tax under 200.00 US.

those services are popping up like mushrooms in POP. i can think of one in particular which lasted three months, and folded...