Bat repellent devices

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Without more info, I don't know how bad or invasive your bat issue is.

When I lived in CT, I planted a specific bat garden and put up a bat house. The garden was gorgeous; built on a hillside away from the house and filled with mostly white, night blooming plants. We wanted them bc the bats in New England are dying by the millions from bat white nose disease? And the bat house was at the top of a really, really tall pole. Again: far from the house.

Trust me. I am no fan of bats. But they eat mosquitoes, which is a really good thing in the DR.

Tell me more about where you are and what your bat problem is.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
In our school in Jarabacoa , on the third level we have at one end an open hallway with very high ceilings, approx 18 feet. There is an open front with a concrete ledge to approx 4 ft, so a basically an opening about 8 ft high by 16 ft wide. The roof is treated pine. The bats sleep either behind to large painting or on a concrete ledge around ten feet up. Lots of bat **** below the ledge and over the whole floor area, but mainly very close to the opening. Fortunately the majority of the top floor they can?t access.
Yes I realize they eat hordes of insects. I don?t want to kill them, just repel them from their current home.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
bob, i would have suspected that you would have known that these devices are a scam, and do not work.

May 29, 2006
You need to make reverse lobster trap covers over the holes where they exit. Do some Google fu on removing bats. I've had to do it a couple times in old buildings. They only need a quarter inch hole to get in. The droppings will be below the entrances. You put fine nets over the entrances so they can exit but not get back in.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Why not install those bird spike things on the ledge? Also, some moth balls or similar as a double whammy to start. Just google "anti bird spikes". I'm surprised their not roosting.

You'll need to remove the painting or block any access to the rear. It probably needs cleaning so I'd remove it until the bats find a new home.

I assume they are nocturnal, so best to blitzkrieg them after dark.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
bob, i would have suspected that you would have known that these devices are a scam, and do not work.

Some work and some don't. I have extensive experience with getting rid of birds and bats from Aircraft hangars but I had a much bigger budget to play with and a better infrastructure where I could use strobe lights, ultra-sonic, nets.....etc.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Some work and some don't. I have extensive experience with getting rid of birds and bats from Aircraft hangars but I had a much bigger budget to play with and a better infrastructure where I could use strobe lights, ultra-sonic, nets.....etc.

the device you posted is an ultra sonic generator. if one does not work, then none will work, because 50 thousands cycles generated by *one manufacturer is the same as 50 thousand cycles from another. there is no such thing as proprietary frequency.

Aug 6, 2006
the device you posted is an ultra sonic generator. if one does not work, then none will work, because 50 thousands cycles generated by *one manufacturer is the same as 50 thousand cycles from another. there is no such thing as proprietary frequency.

==============================

I have tried several devices that were advertised to keep rodents and roaches away and they did not work.

I also bought a thing that was supposed to make dogs stop barking.

It did not work, either.
The neighbor's dog came and sniffed it

He is not a deaf dog.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
==============================

I have tried several devices that were advertised to keep rodents and roaches away and they did not work.

I also bought a thing that was supposed to make dogs stop barking.

It did not work, either.
The neighbor's dog came and sniffed it

He is not a deaf dog.

look, all of these companies have been importuned by the federal government to cease and desist from representing these contraptions as being useful, because no tests have found that they can do what the manufacturers assert.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
In our school in Jarabacoa , on the third level we have at one end an open hallway with very high ceilings, approx 18 feet. There is an open front with a concrete ledge to approx 4 ft, so a basically an opening about 8 ft high by 16 ft wide. The roof is treated pine. The bats sleep either behind to large painting or on a concrete ledge around ten feet up. Lots of bat **** below the ledge and over the whole floor area, but mainly very close to the opening. Fortunately the majority of the top floor they can?t access.
Yes I realize they eat hordes of insects. I don?t want to kill them, just repel them from their current home.

Plant night-blooming, fragrant, preferably white or light blue flowers in profusion. Find out what they are here; I am sure they'r not the same as in CT. And then build bat houses. I'm tellin' ya.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Years ago I worked with a guy that bought a negative ion generator that was supposed to help with insommia. Didnt work dor him but no matter whwre he placed in the house thats where his cat would sleep even in the kitchen sink. For the price of them they are worth trying.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Bat fact: the males have rotating penises so that they can "do it" while hanging.

Special thanks to my gay roommates on the Upper West Side for an animal calendar, explaining how many species get it done.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Plant night-blooming, fragrant, preferably white or light blue flowers in profusion. Find out what they are here; I am sure they'r not the same as in CT. And then build bat houses. I'm tellin' ya.

In North America night scented phlox, no idea if they might be in RD. Easily grown from seed and do well in pots if you can get hold of seeds.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Bat fact: the males have rotating penises so that they can "do it" while hanging.

Special thanks to my gay roommates on the Upper West Side for an animal calendar, explaining how many species get it done.

Makes one wonder about Batman!!!!Why does he HANG around the bat cave so much

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
The average bat eats 3 times it's body weight in mosquitoes every night. You really want them around. Rather than moving them on build some bat boxes and let them hang out there . ( I wrote that myself).
They are really easy to build and when I had a problem the bats moved to them and left us alone.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The old ones yes, the new ones no.

frequency is frequency, bob. 50,000 cycles in 50BC is the same as 50,000 cycles in 2016. you cannot improve on frequency. all it is is a membrane vibrating the air around it a certain amount of times per second.*

then agin, hucksters like guys like you....