Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Is it safe to leave a condo vacant?

Hello all, LOOOOOOONG time lurker. I am at the point I can purchase a modest condo as a second home in the DR, but retirement is still a long ways away. I am looking at condos in Sosua, but it will remain vacant 95% of the time. Will it be safe in these clusters of condos that have security? I know it's an awfully subjective question, but I am wondering if anyone else here has a home in the DR but they live mostly in their home country.

I have family that visit pretty often and I can have them check in on the condo. I also have cousins and other family that currently live in the DR, but I don't know them and my gut is telling me not to trust them.

I tried searching for an existing thread, but I failed.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DominiRican View Post
    Hello all, LOOOOOOONG time lurker. I am at the point I can purchase a modest condo as a second home in the DR, but retirement is still a long ways away. I am looking at condos in Sosua, but it will remain vacant 95% of the time. Will it be safe in these clusters of condos that have security? I know it's an awfully subjective question, but I am wondering if anyone else here has a home in the DR but they live mostly in their home country.

I have family that visit pretty often and I can have them check in on the condo. I also have cousins and other family that currently live in the DR, but I don't know them and my gut is telling me not to trust them.

I tried searching for an existing thread, but I failed.
    Only if the complex has trustworthy 24 hour security.
    Where are you looking to buy?
    Mack.

3. Likes ctrob, drescape24 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Follow your gut. Rent when you visit.

5. Likes DominiRican, DRob, DOMINCAN JOE liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mack View Post
    Only if the complex has trustworthy 24 hour security.
    Where are you looking to buy?
    Mack.
    I've only visited Punta Cana so far, but when looking for property I find downtown Sosua pretty interesting. I plan on visiting that region the next time I go sometime shortly after the new year.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a place in Dr empty 80% we dont rent out no problems ... Nobody can tell you condo rules every condo has different rules..I have villa so my rules...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisgreat View Post
    I have a place in Dr empty 80% we dont rent out no problems ... Nobody can tell you condo rules every condo has different rules..I have villa so my rules...
    There's no security in your area? I would like a villa, but I thought it would be unsafe. I guess you can tech it out and monitor it from anywhere.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Cameras internet ..we had security at gate 8 yrs ago been better without... Some condos in caberete and Sosua charge you outrageous fees in my opinion that force you to rent to recover some of your money is why I choose villa ... Goodluck with your choice I have no regrets with mine ...
    Last edited by lifeisgreat; 10-28-2016 at 10:32 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DominiRican View Post
    I've only visited Punta Cana so far, but when looking for property I find downtown Sosua pretty interesting. I plan on visiting that region the next time I go sometime shortly after the new year.
    Punta Cana and Sosua are two different beasts for many reasons. PM me for more insight.
    This thread will likely take off in a direction that may not be helpful to you.
    Mack.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the place called?*
    If it's a really good deal there is a reason why...
    Really no need to buy here just rent.*

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

If your only going to be here 1-2 weeks a year, then rent. If you don't like the one you rent, then try another next time. Sosua may not be what you end up wanting. What you will pay in condo fees will be more the you spend to rent.

13. Likes Garyexpat, Meemselle, Harleysrock liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast