Cigars

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I saw on another thread that three new cigar stores have recently opened in Sosua. Does anyone know if they sell real Cuban cigars there and how much? I am particularily looking for Ramon Allones, Cohibas, Romeo y Julietas, and Montecristos.

Also, are there any cigar factories where I can buy quality brand name Dominican cigars for less than in the stores? I can buy Dominican cigars for less in Miami that what I have found in the stores here.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Criss Colon always ordered his Dominican cigars online, and he lived in Santo Domingo. *

Hillbilly may be able to guide you around Santiago, and, I believe, DavidZ.*

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Criss Colon always ordered his Dominican cigars online, and he lived in Santo Domingo. *

Hillbilly may be able to guide you around Santiago, and, I believe, DavidZ.*

I know Thompson Cigars sells online at very good prices, but I occasionally have friends bring down Dominican cigars for me. How ironic is that?

I've heard mention of cigar factories in Pto. Plata, but I don't know if they make any of the big brand name cigars or if they are for export only(?).

I know there are some cigar factories in Tamboril, but not sure if they are export only, or if the price difference is worth the trip(?).

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Go to Tamboril and ask a motoconcho to bring you to a small factory. I pay 32 pesos/stick and it's a good smoke.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sadly< I am no longer "in the know" regarding cigars.

Reality being the b!tch it is, you can buy Dominican cigars at better prices at JR Cigars.com...

And the factories in Tamboril and Santiago and La Romana sell to JR. IF you stop buy places like Litto Gomez' place, La Flor Dominicana, or Jochy Blanco's free zone emporium, you might get a few complementary smokes and maybe a pack of 25...

Places like Garcia, Swedish Match and Matasa do not usually have guests (but sometime they do have tours)...

In Puerto Plata there are some rollers...generally speaking they are "tourist" priced and only 'regular' as far as quality is concerned. After a couple of beers, who cares?

HB

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Go to Tamboril and ask a motoconcho to bring you to a small factory. I pay 32 pesos/stick and it's a good smoke.

The Tamboril excursion is a nice day trip. I have personally done it several times, The last time I was granted access to Flor Dominicana and given a nice tour and the opportunity to buy. Some of the smaller factories around town have great cigars also. Have fun.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Sadly< I am no longer "in the know" regarding cigars.

Reality being the b!tch it is, you can buy Dominican cigars at better prices at JR Cigars.com...

And the factories in Tamboril and Santiago and La Romana sell to JR. IF you stop buy places like Litto Gomez' place, La Flor Dominicana, or Jochy Blanco's free zone emporium, you might get a few complementary smokes and maybe a pack of 25...

Places like Garcia, Swedish Match and Matasa do not usually have guests (but sometime they do have tours)...

In Puerto Plata there are some rollers...generally speaking they are "tourist" priced and only 'regular' as far as quality is concerned. After a couple of beers, who cares?

HB

Great recommendation on JR Cigars. Best prices I've seen on premium cigars. The same RyJ I just bought for 500 pesos they were selling for 300. Really baffling why Dominican cigars are so expensive here(?).

Any other country I've gone to that's known for good cigars like Honduras or Nicaragua, the cigars there were much cheaper than the same cigar in Miami. The opposite is true here. Same with Presidente beer, but that's another story.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Budy it is the tax put on it by the government on its own people the relly good *cigars are never available to domicans.*

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
The Tamboril excursion is a nice day trip. I have personally done it several times, The last time I was granted access to Flor Dominicana and given a nice tour and the opportunity to buy. Some of the smaller factories around town have great cigars also. Have fun.

That is your best bet I was there last week and will go again soon.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Budy it is the tax put on it by the government on its own people the relly good *cigars are never available to domicans.*

Sorry but I think they are available to dominicans or do you think only toeristisch buy DR cigars. Look around in SD. Enough nice places were to smoke...and yes most are Dominicans, and yes wealthy ..

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
most of the big name brands are made for export only but their are some good cigars such as hermanos queves in villa gonzalez that aren't made in zona franca.