Internet and Phone rates ridiculous in the DR

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Santo Domingo.- Fixed broadband internet, fixed residential telephone and mobile prepaid services are more expensive in the Dominican Republic than in the rest of Latin America, according to a study disclosed Thursday by the Catholic University (PUCMM).

Researcher Fernando Ferr?n provided the details of the study, and said Dominican Republic has Latin America?s third highest tax levies on telecom services, and15th worldwide.

?During the investigation also we find that customers have very little access to information from telephone companies, not even through the Dominican Telecom Institute (Indotel), which by law is the regulatory body for the sector,? the expert said.

Source: DT

Nov 3, 2016

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I pay less than $100 US per month. Cable, internet, and landline with some free minutes. This is Claro.

Last edited by a moderator:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Fiber is not available in my area. Claro has no idea when it will be available despite putting in fiber optic cables along the main highway at least five years ago.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Fiber is not available in my area. Claro has no idea when it will be available despite putting in fiber optic cables along the main highway at least five years ago.

That is a joke. Why put it in if you don't use it?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That is a joke. Why put it in if you don't use it?

Claro, with respect to my interactions with them, has been a joke for over a decade (or since they took over whichever came last).