An Olympic Question

MaxxJaxx

Almost Silver...
Jan 1, 2002
Why hasn't the Dominican Republic done better in the Olympics???

The Dominican Republic has only one medal, That was a Bronze in the 1984 summer games in Los Angeles ( Boxing - Bantamweight - Pedro Nolasco).

Haiti has won 2 medals

Puerto Rico has won 6 medals

Bahamas has won 6 medals

Trinidad Tobago has won 11 medals

Jamaica has won 37 medals.

Cuba has won 137 medals (but that isn't a fair comparison).

---------------------------

Why doesn't the government invest some money towards their atheletes???? Or does every Dominican think that baseball is the only sport they should play.

Maxx

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I don't have an answer to that question, besides the fact that it's frigging typical...But don't they have baseball in the summer olympics?

One of my favourite parts of the last summer Olympic games was in the opening ceremony when the Dominican team came by in the procession. There were only about 10 of them; one white, one black, one tall, one short, one fino, one rudo...Such a *real* representation, I thought. Brought tears to my eyes...sniff...
(Don't even get me started about when North & South Korea came in holding hands...I was bawlin'...)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Since I was, unfortunately, involved in the Dominican sports scene for many years, I would dearly love to answer this at some length.

However, I am so sick and tired of this that I won't.

Suffice it to say that the corruption that is so evident in the government is twice as rampant in the sports scene. The up-coming Panam games will be another proof of this.

Why?

1) Jamaica has a wonderful system-admittedly limited to athletics-of school sports. they raise runners like Venezuela raises beauty queens and trophy wives.
2) Trinidad-the same as jamaica
3) Bahamas--they just ship all their kids to school in Florida where they are trained to be the best they can be. Just like the "Dominican"400 hurdles man F?lix S?nchez, born and raised in NYC.....Now World Champion in the 400 Hurdles.

The list goes on and on.

Ask yourself this: Who the f*** in this country can do the demanding exercise needed to be a world class athlete?? Only the very wealthy, who couldn't care less about this. Julio Nolasco? Belonged to the Armed Forces that trained him, fed him and clothed him for years. A true glory to sports. Radhames Lora (Now an admiral!) was also military and a great Judo player. The current crop of Judo players are from very good families. Boxer's are trained for the pro ranks, and are seen as an investment. The woman weightlifter, Wanda Rijo is i n the military....
The problem is that by the time they get to the military they are too old...And as for baseball, all the talent is signed into the professional ranks as fast as they can be found...
In all the countries cited above, the talent is spotted in the elementary schools. Shit! the goalie for Sweden's womans hockey team is 15! Cohen and Hughes are less than 17!!
Sports in the DR is just to get something: Imagine, the head of the Olympic Committee is a ?achtsman!! Who has never won anything but his election to the post....In fact of the whole Olympic Committee, none of them were ever really good at anything sportive (after all, the President is an outstanding neurosurgeon-fact!!)...
Sorry, but this is turning into a rant..

HB

Last edited:

jade

Feb 19, 2002
ok let me give this a try!!!!

As far as i know most athletes that are accepted into the olympics are trained in the United States and go to american schools,colleges etc.... for the poorer countries the U.S funds them.... for the richer countries, they provide for their athletes and are welcomed with open arms in the U.S.
The american athletes have to work for U.P.S part time and the rest the parent pays for them.

Now since Dominican Republic does not fund thier athletes(am not sure about this) and the United Stated will only sponser baseball players from D.R that leaves only with in so far very few Dominican athletes.

Simply jade

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good point Jade: Did you know that the current medal "haul" is a direct result of a report submitted by Geroge Steinbrenner of the NY Yankees Baseball Club? He showed that the US Winter Olympic Team needed to change; how to change it, and now, look at the results.

Also did you know that the US Womens Hockey team averaged over $100,000 per person?? In salaries and per diems? Or that a Gold is worth $25,000? Silver $15,000 and Bronze $10,000??

The old saying : "Money talks and Bullshit walks" is particularly appropriate for Olympic sports....

HB

MaxxJaxx

Almost Silver...
Jan 1, 2002
Not always True!!!

The old saying : "Money talks and Bullshit walks" is particularly appropriate for Olympic sports.... is well, the typical american way of thinking.

If you throw more money at any situation you will become better.

In America the guy with most money gets the medals. In american the guy who spends the most money wins an election. In America you value the person who has the most money in his bank account rather than the person who is most valuable to you. This isn't how the rest of the world acts.

BY the way this is NOT an attack on Americans but rather one persons observation.

Just like you have rules against doping in the Olympics you should have rules against Financial interference. Athletes should have to share a portion (10-20%) of their endorsement revenues they receive for the first 4 years after the Olympics. This money would be pooled to help ALL Athletes from ALL countries and in the end help preserve what the Olympics are all about.

A show of support by your Government leaders never hurts either.

Current Medal Standings 2002 Games

(Gold, Silver, Bronze, Total)

1. Germany 12 16 7 35
2. Norway 11 7 4 22
3. United States of America 10 12 11 33
4. Russian Federation 5 7 4 16
5. Canada 5 3 8 16
6. France 4 5 2 11
7. Finland 4 2 1 7
8. Netherlands 3 5 0 8
9. Italy 3 3 4 10
10. Switzerland 3 2 6 11

Maxx

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
maxxjaxx"Whines"(Canadians "Fail" in Salt Lake)

The reason the Canadian dollar is worth 60 cents of a "real dollar",USA,is because of your "whining" about the accomplishments of your "Big Cousin" to the South,instead of working harder to make-up the differance! You watch our(American) TV programs,eat our food,drive our cars,read our books and magazines! I would start to feel "inferior" too! It,s not too late,just try being more productive! I know it,s hard when you have to "carry" the Province of "Quebec" on your backs,but "TRY"! Just think how you will feel during the "Summer Games" when Canada won,t win any medals!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited:

MaxxJaxx

Almost Silver...
Jan 1, 2002
I must correct you again

The only thing Americans export is Slick Proganda.

We export more food than we consume. Most of the parts that are in your "American" cars come from Canada. (Cause we make than better than you can).

I agree with you I do like Penthouse, Playboy and Hustler but then seeing real "words" in an American magazine would probably give a Canadian a heart-attack anyways. Than again, wasn't Pamela Andersen a Canadian (we always try to put our best boob forward).

Now on to the Hockey Game ( the game Canadians invented).

Maxx :).