Buying Nissan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
It seems that a Nissan Pathfinder and the rest of Nissan vehicles give you WAYYY more bang for your buck, when you compare it to a Toyota. Also, I've noticed that Ford Explorers are very similar to North American prices. Anyone that has experience with any of these three vehicles? And please, do not make the arguments of later resale value. Reason is, I rather buy new and keep long term. Thanks all.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It seems that a Nissan Pathfinder and the rest of Nissan vehicles give you WAYYY more bang for your buck, when you compare it to a Toyota. Also, I've noticed that Ford Explorers are very similar to North American prices. Anyone that has experience with any of these three vehicles? And please, do not make the arguments of later resale value. Reason is, I rather buy new and keep long term. Thanks all.

well, the Nissan will end up with a lower sticker price, but in one year the cost of gasoline will easily make up the difference.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Nissan Navara and Frontier are both very popular and practical here. Navara usually comes with a diesel engine and the frontier with one of two gas or the diesel engine. All are good and ride more carlike that a Toyota. Pathfinder does get bad mpg but no worse than the Toyota Tundra. Xtrail is a small SUV that people whom own them, love.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Nissan Navara and Frontier are both very popular and practical here. Navara usually comes with a diesel engine and the frontier with one of two gas or the diesel engine. All are good and ride more carlike that a Toyota. Pathfinder does get bad mpg but no worse than the Toyota Tundra. Xtrail is a small SUV that people own them, love.

bob , a Tundra has a right to give bad mileage. it is 8 cylinders. a Pathfinder is a 6.

it?s like saying a Cessna gives bad mileage, but no worse than a 747.

jeezus.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

I had a Nissan Pathfinder for 4 years in the DR. Never missed a beat, one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
bob , a Tundra has a right to give bad mileage. it is 8 cylinders. a Pathfinder is a 6.

it?s like saying a Cessna gives bad mileage, but no worse than a 747.

jeezus.

You were saying Nissan get worse gas milage than Toyotas. You did not saying anything about engine size or type.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I own a Nissan Quashqai. Easily one of the best cars I have ever owned. Never a problem, runs like a top. I recommend the full model. Has 4 wheel drive, leather seats, and a huge moon roof.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
The ford explorer should be last on your list. In the long run the toyota will probably give you the best service.........Doc.........

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I had a Nissan Pathfinder for 4 years in the DR. Never missed a beat, one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned.

Ditto. Had my Pathfinder for 12 years. No problems. Just routine maintenance, oil, filters, etc. Hated to part with it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Toyota and Nissan, last I checked, were both missing the market in the size range of the Hyundai Santa Fe/Kia Sorento. They had either too small or too big.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I have had a Nissan Xterra for about six months. Its quite old (2007) and has done over 100,000 miles but it's big and strong and the mechanicals have been excellent so far. It's very powerful with a four litre engine but I find it surprisingly economical if you drive it gently because you hardly need any accelerator to make it go. The only problem can be that with mine, a two wheel drive version, if you accelerate hard from a standing start it's too easy to get wheelspin when it's wet. Overall I'm happy with the car.

Jan 9, 2004

What Toyota are you comparing it to?

In terms of new Explorer or Pathfinder.......its the Explorer.

However, if Nissan is giving you wayyy more bang for your buck over Toyota......then the Nissan Murano is of better quality than the Pathfinder. It is also priced the same or slightly cheaper (depending on options) AND gives better gas mileage.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
What Toyota are you comparing it to?

In terms of new Explorer or Pathfinder.......its the Explorer.

However, if Nissan is giving you wayyy more bang for your buck over Toyota......then the Nissan Murano is of better quality than the Pathfinder. It is also priced the same or slightly cheaper (depending on options) AND gives better gas mileage.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Unfortunately no one here sells new Murano's. Don't really know why, but you can look on Supercarros.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I have a Nissan X Trail and hate it.Always issues of some sort or another.
I never feel that it's going to do what it's supposed to.
The only reason I bought it was because of the price difference between this and the RAV 4 which is huge.
Get a Toyota if you can.

Aug 21, 2007
i have an Xtrail here. It has been a good car. 10 years old. Bought it new and it has run reliably. Only problem I found was getting parts. I was told by my mechanic that it is easier to get parts on US car models.

I know nothing about this. Just reporting. My mechanic is good.

Lindsey

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I use to be a big Toyota fan. Having had a Rav4, 4 runner and Camry. Bought a Rogue in the US and loved it. Never any issue. Here after looking for awhile settled on Pathfinder and have been very happy. Really wanted a Murano but they were not so easy to come by. We have been happy with the Nissan product.

Status
Not open for further replies.