Burned Inverter

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I would like some insight from a tecnician. We have a 5 kw Trace inverter. Suddenly the day before yesterday we heard a loud noise and had a smell of burn. We put the breaker down. Luckely I have a 2.4 kw spare one that was installed today. Now the electrician, a good guy who hardly charges us because is family that the inverter is totall-los *. Can it be repeared?
We also have before the inverter one of those homemade elevador de voltaje, is that wise to keep it there?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The problem with older TRACE inverters is that it might cost more to repair than to purchase a new "Chinese" copy of them.

A real voltage regulator should be used instead of the basic voltage booster. Those voltage boosters can fry everything to which they are attached.

Is it a TRACE DR Series inverter?

In any event, I went from using TRACE to the brand sold by Megatone/Inverluz. Same functionality as the TRACE DR series , but much cheaper to purchase and far cheaper to repair.

Last edited:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Solid advice from Winde. I had one of those voltage boosters and it did just what Winde described. Wish you would have told me sooner. Dominicans can fix everything so that it works for a day or two then they come back and come back and come back until finally you catch on. Shipped a refrig from US. Worked perfectly until we plugged he in at DR home. DR refrig repair guys came and took out lots of "un-necessary parts. It worked for two days. They come back and after a time tell my wife it needs a new compressor. Wife says she will sell it to the junk metal guy first. Repair guys go back to work on it and like a miracle after an hour "find the problem". Wife pays them and its worked fine ever since. Be careful of DR fixer guys no matter what they are working on because often they are working on you more than the repair item.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Thanks Windeguy. It's a 2009/10pro Trace. Just what I thought about the booster. If I would buy a regulator and leave the 2.4 working, what capacity what I need, a 2.4 regulator or bigger ?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks Windeguy. It's a 2009/10pro Trace. Just what I thought about the booster. If I would buy a regulator and leave the 2.4 working, what capacity what I need, a 2.4 regulator or bigger ?

They should be matched to be the same capacity. No problem if the regulator is higher in capacity than the inverter.

They should also be matched to how much power you use, keeping in mind that if you use 2.3 KW often, that you might want to think of a higher capacity inverter than a 2.4 Inverter and regulator. It is better to have some head room so you are not pushing the system to its limits all of the time.