Puerto Plata - Merengue Nov 11-12

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Anybody going this weekend? Last year it was on the east end of the malecon. Maybe us DR1'ers could meet up.

I still remember last year watching the audience pass around nearly full rum bottles. The policia, in an effort to control unsanctioned drinking, would comb through the audience only to have the crowd surrender all their empties. You could see the policia didn't have their hearts in it.

PS - limited shade so hat and sunscreen is a must.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I think this is 12 and 13 Nov. (Sat. & Sun.), not sure about the time and when it actually gets going, let us know if anyone knows...!

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
DR1 posted this update today:

Puerto Plata Merengue Festival postponed

Brugal Rum has announced the postponement of the Festival del Merengue y Ritmos Caribe?os 2016 in Puerto Plata that was set for 12 and 13 November. The event has been postponed due to the heavy rains that have caused flooding in Puerto Plata. It will now take place on Saturday, 19 and Sunday, 20 November with the same program.

On Saturday, 19 November the lineup will be Banda Real, Sexappeal, Kinito M?ndez and La Nueva Escuela.

On Sunday, 20 November, Rey Junior, Pochy Familia, Revoluci?n Salsera, Sergio Vargas and Mozart La Para take the stage. The event traditionally takes place at La Puntilla, now the setting for a modern amphitheater.

For information on upcoming events:
http://www.dr1.com/calendar

Archived News stories:
http://dr1.com/forums/forumdisplay.p...-Headline-News

Archived Travel News stories:
http://dr1.com/forums/forumdisplay.p...p-Tourism-News

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
And a weather update from Dominican Today:

A weekend of showers, more downpours for Puerto Plata

Santo Domingo.- The National Weather Office (Onamet) forecasts continued downpours over much of the country, from a low pressure system north of Puerto Rico.

It said the rains will continue over all regions except the southwest.

It said a frontal system approaching the north coast will bring scattered showers over the northwest, north, northeast and the central regions on Saturday.

Onamet continues warnings for flash flooding and landslides for Puerto Plata province, and a severe weather alert for the entire north coast.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...nd-of-showers-more-downpours-for-Puerto-Plata

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
Anybody going this weekend? Last year it was on the east end of the malecon. Maybe us DR1'ers could meet up.

I still remember last year watching the audience pass around nearly full rum bottles. The policia, in an effort to control unsanctioned drinking, would comb through the audience only to have the crowd surrender all their empties. You could see the policia didn't have their hearts in it.

PS - limited shade so hat and sunscreen is a must.

Limited shade, lol.
The last 3 years it always started in the evening when it was dark.
And about the bottles of rum: Festival de Merengue is sponsored by Brugal, inside the festival, you can only buy rum (Cuba Libres or bottles), they don't sell presidente inside, because that is the competition.*

Last edited:

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
DR1 posted this update today:

Puerto Plata Merengue Festival postponed

Brugal Rum has announced the postponement of the Festival del Merengue y Ritmos Caribe?os 2016 in Puerto Plata that was set for 12 and 13 November. The event has been postponed due to the heavy rains that have caused flooding in Puerto Plata. It will now take place on Saturday, 19 and Sunday, 20 November with the same program.

On Saturday, 19 November the lineup will be Banda Real, Sexappeal, Kinito M?ndez and La Nueva Escuela.

On Sunday, 20 November, Rey Junior, Pochy Familia, Revoluci?n Salsera, Sergio Vargas and Mozart La Para take the stage. The event traditionally takes place at La Puntilla, now the setting for a modern amphitheater.

Archived News stories:
http://dr1.com/forums/forumdisplay.p...-Headline-News

Archived Travel News stories:
http://dr1.com/forums/forumdisplay.p...p-Tourism-News

Traditionally takes place at La Puntilla, lol, the last 2 years it took place at the roundabout, close to longbeach.
Before that, it took place at la puntilla.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
I was there once a number of years ago as a young man. It was a complete disgrace. Drunkenness, public urination, belligerent Dominicans at every corner looking for confrontations. Poorly but provocatively dressed teenagers everywhere. If this is your thing then you are beyond redemption and should spend the rest of your life in a shack eating boiled plantains with numerous feral offspring generated by Belkis, Yolanda y Ximena.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I was there once a number of years ago as a young man. It was a complete disgrace. Drunkenness, public urination, belligerent Dominicans at every corner looking for confrontations. Poorly but provocatively dressed teenagers everywhere. If this is your thing then you are beyond redemption and should spend the rest of your life in a shack eating boiled plantains with numerous feral offspring generated by Belkis, Yolanda y Ximena.

gee. sounds like it could have been held in Europe. drunks, louts, scantily clad trollops, fights, public sex everywhere. yep. Germany and Holland sound about right.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015

Lol. I love the rant. I suspect it was a non-event as the power was cut all yesterday and it's been raining all morning today.

As for last year's event, that might explain the large number of policia. The 'kids' were sexed up but nothing out of the ordinary. The only raunch was the stage show doing twirquing for 6 packs of Presidentes. I was the only gringo insight. I seemed to draw attention so I ended up in the shade which incidentally was where the policia was.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Lol. I love the rant. I suspect it was a non-event as the power was cut all yesterday and it's been raining all morning today.

As for last year's event, that might explain the large number of policia. The 'kids' were sexed up but nothing out of the ordinary. The only raunch was the stage show doing twirquing for 6 packs of Presidentes. I was the only gringo insight. I seemed to draw attention so I ended up in the shade which incidentally was where the policia was.

as i said, no worse than concerts in Europe, or the drunken antics of Americans at Bike *Week, at least you don?t see people taking off their clothes and being hosed down by drunks, like you see in places like Sturgis, or Spring Break. forget Mardi Gras. then Americans come here and criticize the disorder at merengue concerts.

sheesh.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
as i said, no worse than concerts in Europe, or the drunken antics of Americans at Bike *Week, at least you don?t see people taking off their clothes and being hosed down by drunks, like you see in places like Sturgis, or Spring Break. forget Mardi Gras. then Americans come here and criticize the disorder at merengue concerts.

sheesh.

I hope that wasn't directed at me. I was planning to go and enjoy myself.

Maybe I will, I think I just heard the loudspeakers in the distance.

You left out burning man, btw.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I hope that wasn't directed at me. I was planning to go and enjoy myself.

Maybe I will, I think I just heard the loudspeakers in the distance.

You left out burning man, btw.

actually, i make observations, and discuss factual matters. i do not make personal attacks. i leave that to people who are having problems at home, and have a need to come into public forums and exorcise their dysfunctions.*

so, no. it was not directed at you, unless you are one of the guys who sit at tables in groups, discussing how barbaric the natives are.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
actually, i make observations, and discuss factual matters. i do not make personal attacks. i leave that to people who are having problems at home, and have a need to come into public forums and exorcise their dysfunctions.*

so, no. it was not directed at you, unless you are one of the guys who sit at tables in groups, discussing how barbaric the natives are.

Take all the rope you need....

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Take all the rope you need....

i already did. you are the guy who said that the crowd was displaying nothing out of the ordinary, so there is no way i could be directing anything negative at you. if anything, i would be commending you for your manifest evenhandedness, insofar as you did not fall into the category of foreigners who disparage Dominicans, when their compatriots are guilty of worse.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
DR1 posts this today (in DR Daily News):

Brugal suspends Puerto Plata Merengue Festival

As heavy rains and flooding have caused extensive damage and disruption in Puerto Plata, Brugal rum company has announced the indefinite suspension of the Puerto Plata Merengue Festival. The event is supported by the Ministry of Tourism and the Brugal rum company is the leading private sponsor. The music festival had initially been scheduled for the weekend of 12-13 November, before being postponed until the weekend of 19-20 November. A new date has not been set in order to give Puerto Plata time to recover from the natural disaster.