Beer Coasters

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I went to some fairly nice restaurants in Santo Domingo this week. I drank a few beers over the course of the evening in both cases. The waiters insisted on placing a folded napkin under the cold beer bottle and glass, which inevitably became wet and soggy very quickly. The waiters were attentive and frequently came by to replace the napkin. Why not just have coasters?

Last edited:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The beverage napkin is classier and cleaner, while the coaster gets smelly, accumulates fungus and can be dangerous if misused.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
The waiters were attentive and frequently came by to replace the napkin. Why not just have coasters?

Dominicans are champions in inventing tiny useless jobs so they can be seen as 'working' while not actually doing anything useful at all. They hope you'll appreciate all that shuffling about and give them a good tip.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Dominicans are champions in inventing tiny useless jobs so they can be seen as 'working' while not actually doing anything useful at all. They hope you'll appreciate all that shuffling about and give them a good tip.

I walked into the dining room for breakfast one morning. No bananas available for my cereal. *Hmmmm! Called my favourite waitress over. She disappeared. Came back a few minutes later with some fresh bannas. I gave her a buck for her efforts. Next morning two other waiters came over with bananas for me. You have to admire their spirit of enterprise and competition.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
A lot of it has to do with cost. You can buy a half a truckload if crappy white napkins for what 2 packs of coasters cost.
I noticed a few guys in a local bar here bring the cooler sleeve to put on thier beer. Whatever works I guess.*

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
A lot of it has to do with cost. You can buy a half a truckload if crappy white napkins for what 2 packs of coasters cost.
I noticed a few guys in a local bar here bring the cooler sleeve to put on thier beer. Whatever works I guess.*

The small bar on *Luperon Beach near the old resort provides cooler sleeves for my Bohemia Grandes. They also stick a napkin in the mouth of the bottle to prevent flies from landing in the beer. Always discard the napkin. My beer doesn't stay in bottle that long.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Coasters get stolen
This is actually the correct answer. I have known several bar owners who just had to stop restocking. No matter what nice thing they would put in their bar, the smaller detailed accent items....eventually they would all be gone.

Aug 6, 2006
One speculation could be that the napkin protects your lap from small dribbles of condensation. Upon occasion, the napkin gets so soggy and wet that it plops in your lap and makes a large wet spot on your pants which means you must stay longer and consume more beer while waiting for it to dry. It could be a massive planned conspiracy.

But really, there is no real reason. Plastic tables, metal tables and Formica tables are not damaged by water stains.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
I've had Presidente coasters at bomba bar in POP and a hotel in Boca Chica. *La Hacienda has some that say lifestyle holiday etc

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
You are all correct, it protects the table, absorbs some the bottle sweat, you can clean the rust off the rim, and it keeps out the flies and mosquitos, but in the end it is very short lived, so you need to drink that beer quickly and lose the napkin.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
We used to get free ones from Presidente but they dried up some years ago,so napkins it is..

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Coasters get stolen

Funny thing. Visiting bro and s-I-l in Atlanta and they have a collection of coasters from various establishments. *I guess I as unaware the were multi-use. *

And the napkins in dR totally bite. Worthless. I usually take a napkin, fold it it to make a jacket for my beer. That way my precious fingers don't get wet. When I go outside I tuck a napkin in the top to indicate I'll be back. *