Rainstorms continue to affect the DR
Saturday quake felt
Customs revokes courier tariff increase
Educa event calls for major changes in Dominican education
Blanco Canto: Nothing to fear from Trump
DGCine promotes movie industry in Samana
P.F. Chang’s opens in Santo Domingo
Navy admiral goes from RD$13 M to RD$40 M worth in four years
Robbery at Barahona industrial free zone
Two Italian fugitives arrested, soon to be deported
Professional baseball wrap-up
Playa Dorada Charity Golf Classic on 26 November
José Pelletier exhibits at Arawak Contemporary Art
Picnic at the Botanical Gardens
Street Food Festival in Santiago



Rainstorms continue to affect the DR
A state of emergency has been declared for the northern provinces of Puerto Plata, La Vega, Espaillat (Moca) and María Trinidad Sánchez (Gaspar Hernández, Jamao). Samaná could also be declared in state of emergency on Monday, 14 November.*

The Presidency has issued Decree 340-16 authorizing emergency procurement by government institutions to bring rapid relief to areas that have suffered the effects of heavy rains falling over the weekend of 10-13 November 2016 in the north and central parts of the country on already drenched soils. Worse still, the weather service (Onamet) is forecasting more rains for this week. Another weather system is forecast to bring more heavy rains starting on Wednesday, 16 November.

The Ministry of Education has announced that schools in affected areas in these provinces will not be opening for classes.

The Ministry of Public Works announced that a brigade of 1,000 workers is helping repair the damage caused by rain saturation. In Samaná, the road from the city of Samaná to Las Galeras at Punta Balandra was severely damaged, cutting off communication. Also in Samaná, roads were damaged near the area of El Limón.

The Emergency Operations Center (COE) said that 1,592 houses were affected, 40 houses destroyed, 7,960 people are displaced, eight bridges affected, 85 communities cut off and 15 provinces on alert. 3,400 people were evacuated from their homes.

A 14-year old boy, Cristopher Cabrera Lamis was reported dead in Jacagua, Santiago after being electrocuted when coming into contact with high-tension energy lines after his home was flooded.

A red alert was issued for Espaillat (Moca, Gaspar Hernández, Jamao), María Trinidad Sánchez (Nagua) and La Vega, yellow alert for Puerto Plata, Montecristi, Duarte (San Francisco de Macorís), Monseñor Nouel (Bonao), Santiago and green alert for Sánchez Ramírez (Cotuí), Hato Mayor, San Pedro de Macorís and Hermanas Mirabal (Salcedo).

http://www.onamet.gov.do/?param=pronostico-general
http://eldia.com.do/gobierno-declara...en-emergencia/
http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2016/11/1...dos-zona-norte
http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2016/11/1...dos-zona-norte


Saturday quake felt
An earthquake registering 4.8 on the Richter Scale was felt from Santo Domingo to Samaná at 10:10pm on Saturday, 12 November 2016. The epicenter was north of Miches, in the eastern province of El Seibo. No damage has been reported. Geologist Osiris León says that the cracks in Samaná highways were caused by the heavy rains and not by the earthquake.

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php...-Santo-Domingo
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...8001#executive


Customs revokes courier tariff increase
It now appears that the announced 100% tariff increase on US$200 courier purchases as of 15 November 2016 will not go into effect. The news was disclosed by the website Argentarium after confirming the information with the courier companies.

Last week courier companies had announced that the Customs Agency (DGA) was levying increases in the tariff charged per kilo on courier orders as of Tuesday, 15 November 2016 to 31 December 2016. The rate would have gradually increased by 300% in a year’s time. The measure would have affected imports via courier valued at less than US$200.

The Customs Agency reportedly had announced that the per-kilo rate as of 15 November 2016 would be US$0.50 up from US$0.25. As of January 2017, it was to increase to US$0.75 from 1 January 2017 to 30 June 2017, and then again to US$1.00 as of 1 July 2017.

http://elnacional.com.do/dejarian-si...pras-internet/
http://www.argentarium.com/veedor/24...nores-a-us200/


Educa event calls for major changes in Dominican education
A workshop sponsored by Acción Empresarial por la Educación (Educa) with the support of the Fundación Popular (Banco Popular) held from 11-13 November 2016 presented recommendations for a major shift in education in the Dominican Republic at the 20th celebration of the Latin American “Congreso Internacional de Educación Aprendo”.

Addressing the event, Francisco Cajiao, former Minister of Education of Colombia, and UN consultant for Central America said that these times required new paradigms for education. The participants concluded that schools needed to be restructured to focus on boosting students’ learning capacities. The key role of teachers in these changes and success of the process was also stressed.

http://acento.com.do/2016/actualidad...s-pedagogicos/


Blanco Canto: Nothing to fear from Trump
National Business Council (Conep) president Rafael Blanco Canto says that the DR has nothing to fear from a Trump administration, speculating that Trump is unlikely to deliver 10% of what he promised.

He said that if Trump meets his promise of reducing taxes in the US to bring back US capital being kept abroad by US corporations this would mean an injection of large amounts of capital for the US economy. Blanco Canto said: “Donald Trump is not going to do, I think, not even 10% of what he promised,” he said.

He said the DR has nothing to fear about the Trump win and believes there was no reason for companies to leave.

He said that if Trump goes ahead and rebuilds US infrastructure, this would mean an investment of US$1 trillion that would be good for the DR because the US is our main trading partner.

“If the US economy improves, we will benefit automatically for two reasons: our exports to the US will go up, and especially because 1.5 million Dominicans who live in the US will do better and when they do better, their families do better.”

http://www.diariolibre.com/economia/...rump-EM5428978


DGCine promotes movie industry in Samana
Movies Agency (DGCine) director Yvette Marichal recently visited Samana to meet with local officials and promote the movie industry in the northeast. She said that Samana is the most popular location chosen by movie producers. Representing the Samana city governments, mayor Luis Felipe Fermín from Mancomunidad de Ayuntamientos de Samana (MAS) said the meeting was aimed at boosting the movie industry in the tourist destination now that it is already the top choice location for filming of movies in the country.

Mayor Luis Felipe Fermin said that the city governments need to be well versed in Film-Making Law No. 108-10 to provide better services to filmmakers wishing to work in the province. He called for DGCine support for training courses for local people so they may be hired for the film productions. Marichal said that as of 2017, movie courses will be held in Samana so that more locals can acquire the skills to work in the productions.

http://www.dgcine.gob.do/esp/index.p...ias&Itemid=251


P.F. Chang’s opens in Santo Domingo
US franchise P.F. Chang’s has opened its first store in Santo Domingo in the Downtown Center on Av. Rómulo Betancourt at the corner with Av. Núñez de Cáceres, in the Bella Vista area. The chain specializes in classic Asian food.


Navy admiral goes from RD$13 M to RD$40 M worth in four years
In four years, Armada admiral Sigfrido Pared Perez, brother of Senate president Reinaldo and the President’s personal assistant Carlos Pared increased his personal worth from RD$13 million in 2012 to RD$40 million in 2016, as he declared in his asset statement. He was recently retired from service.

He is a two-time Defense Minister, from 2004 to 2006, during the Leonel Fernandez administration and again from August 2012 to August 2016 during the Medina presidency.

Acento has been publishing the declared assets of leading Medina administration officials.

http://acento.com.do/2016/actualidad...rd13-millones/


Robbery at Barahona industrial free zone
Hooded criminals walked away with RD$2 million in cash stolen from the Barahona industrial free zone, Willbes Dominicana, a South Korean company. As reported, three armed hooded individuals stole the cash that was to be used to pay the weekly wages of the 1,000 free zone workers, said Juan de los Santos, human resources manager at Villa Central. De los Santos said the criminals arrived at 11:50am and held two packers at gunpoint before stealing the cash. He said the thieves were dressed as motorcycle taxi drivers. A Police Investigations Department (Dicrim) unit in Barahona is investigating the robbery. The Police told reporters it has identified the motorcycle.
http://elnacional.com.do/encapuchado...anca-barahona/


Two Italian fugitives arrested, soon to be deported
Two Italian fugitives of Italian justice were arrested on Thursday, 10 November 2016. They will be deported to Italy, according to the OCN-Interpol. They were named as 45-year old Giovanni Ponticello and 66-year old Nazzareno Di Stefano. Both had expired passports.

Ponticello (arrest warrant A-9358 dating to November 2014) was arrested on Calle Altagracia in La Romana. He is wanted for robbery in Italy.

Di Stefano (arrest warrant A-1945 dated March 2016) was arrested in Guerra in Santo Domingo East for illegal association and drug trafficking in Italy.

http://eldia.com.do/interpol-captura...es-de-su-pais/


Professional baseball wrap-up
The Gigantes del Cibao, the San Francisco de Macorís baseball team, is leading in the Dominican Professional Winter Baseball League Championship with 12 wins and six losses. The Santo Domingo city teams did better over the weekend with the Tigres del Licey moving up to second place with 10 wins and eight losses. The Leones del Escogido are third with 10 wins and nine losses.

The Estrellas Orientales (San Pedro de Macorís) are in fourth place with nine wins and nine losses, followed by the Aguilas Cibaeñas with nine wins and 10 losses. The Toros del Este (La Romana) are last with six wins and 14 losses.

See the games schedule and more information on the championship at:
http://www.lidom.com/home/


Playa Dorada Charity Golf Classic on 26 November
Playa Dorada Golf Course has announced its Ninth Annual North Coast Charity Golf Classic on Saturday, 26 November 2016. Play format is Texas Scramble (four players).*The RD$4,000 entry fee includes green fees, cart, lunch and drinks and more.*The organizers promise great prizes, charity auction and raffle.

The event is a benefit for Dream Project, Dogs & Cats and Sugar Kids benefits. To register, go to [email protected]


José Pelletier exhibits at Arawak Contemporary Art
An exhibition of paintings by Dominican artist José Pelletier can be seen at the Arawak Gallery, Calle Polibio Diaz No. 11, Evaristo Morales in Santo Domingo from 18 November to 20 December 2016.
Pelletier is inspired by the use of animals in the works of master artist, the late Eligio Pichardo. The solo exhibition is open from 9:30am to 1:30pm and from 4:30 to 7pm.


Picnic at the Botanical Gardens
The Santo Domingo National Botanical Gardens has organized “El Picnic,” a family day with food trucks, electronic music, art and other cultural attractions for 19 and 20 November 2016. The organizers have announced that DJs Poteleche, Marcos Cabrera, Bubu Vega, Ugo, Bob Hache and Heff Huffner will be playing the music. From 11am. Admission is RD$250 adults, and children enter free of charge.


Street Food Festival in Santiago
Food trucks will be bringing a variety of food to Santiago’s Jardín Cabrera Vidal on 3 and 4 December.


For information on upcoming events:
http://www.dr1.com/calendar


Archived News stories:
http://dr1.com/forums/forumdisplay.p...-Headline-News


Archived Travel News stories:
http://dr1.com/forums/forumdisplay.p...p-Tourism-News