Daily or hourly wages for good Dominican worker

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I have a Dominican tradesman (Carpenter/electrical/etc.) doing some odd jobs for me. So far he has only worked 3 hours on one but will use him for more this week. He was referred from a close friend, he brings his own tools of which i would have to buy to do myself. He is also smart enough to do the work correctly.

They never say their price and and in this case he is a referral and normally works for his family business, so long story short i dont want to insult. What is a fair good hourly rate to pay this guy?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Carpintero de primera categor?a (OP1) 30.53 d?a 3.82 hora 727.55 mensual in USD

Daywork rate for good quality carpenter from medium quality contractor from two years ago

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I have a Dominican tradesman (Carpenter/electrical/etc.) doing some odd jobs for me. So far he has only worked 3 hours on one but will use him for more this week. He was referred from a close friend, he brings his own tools of which i would have to buy to do myself. He is also smart enough to do the work correctly.

They never say their price and and in this case he is a referral and normally works for his family business, so long story short i dont want to insult. What is a fair good hourly rate to pay this guy?
1. What does your friend pay him?
2. Pay what you can afford, and what you consider to be a good rate.
3. Good work equals good pay.
4. Good work equals a correct job done, in a timely fashion.
In my time in DR I have seen and listened to the workers. Although there are some that are completely useless scam artists, there are many that take pride in the job they do, and only want to be fairly compensated for their work. No, no illusions of the union wages of the USA, but much better than 200 pesos for breaking their a** all day. If you found a good, capable tradesman, you don't want to lose him. Look in the mirror and ask yourself what would you like to be paid for the type of work on the table, and then look at the fella doing that work, and has a family to provide for.

Jul 28, 2014
Carpintero de primera categor?a (OP1) 30.53 d?a 3.82 hora 727.55 mensual in USD

Daywork rate for good quality carpenter from medium quality contractor from two years ago

Is there actually a guide to trades folks somewhere in regards to pay scales?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Is there actually a guide to trades folks somewhere in regards to pay scales?

My understanding from my colleague who is a PQS, is yes there is a current and updated schedule for Santo Domingo online.

The extract was from a BoQ Schedule of Rates I have on file for a substantial project from a couple of years back.

May 29, 2006
Ah 30 in USD.. *500/day is typical for a day's pay for most tradesmen around here in Hig?ey. *Depends on what quality of skill you want and what equipment they need. *

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We normally pay a set price negotiated before the job starts. Having said that we pay anywhwre from 500 to 1000 a day for unskilled or semi-skilled work. Plumbers carpenters and electricians will cost more. Our plumber is 1500 per day and 600 for his assistant plus parts but he get the parts from a place where we have an account. So far proved to be honest.

May 29, 2006
Damn, for 1500/day I might get my hands dirty! *I watch the plumbers build camp fires to make fittings and bend PVC. *They need to learn about vent pipes. *PEC could be a game changer down here.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
1500 a day for a tradesman who does good work is a bargain ..........when you consider what you must pay in new York to have anything done
my cleaning lady in new York gets $120 for one days work a week

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
All of then above.

I would add depends on the technicity ( if u see what I mean :) ) of the job.
Guy who installs plugs vs guy who fixes the swimming pool pump.

Also, think if u*need the guy.
I am thinking of the guy who repairs my electrics and also all pool stuff. I*need him as he is skilled at what he does, and his skill is rare, very rare in my campo.*
So obviously he gets paid more for a couple of hours work than an*interchangeable worker. Hell he gets paid more for a couple of hours work than a whole day of an*interchangeable one. Lol

Then I think of how fast I need said guy to respond to my needs. U know ma?ana, horita, etc....sh.it
Those kind of guys often have a fixed not-too-badly paid job. ( my guy works in hotels at POP ).
So he needs*motivation, same as elsewhere.

All in all I pay him 1000 pesos for 2-3 hours work. This is campo so probably need to pay more in towns.
Too much ?
Perhaps.
Not enough ?
Maybe.
But he comes when I need him and has become a friend ( yes, yes ) over the years.
Some people ( i referred him to them ) complain he takes days and days to come and do the work.
Presumeably he judges its not worth his time. And I dont blame him. I do the same. Lol.

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
Be smart and pay by the job (not by the hour). This is a win win for both parties and controls costs.....That said, be fair in compensation.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I am in construction (again)and pay our hard working man on blocks and panete 1000 a day, his assistant 750. Plumbing and electricity I pay "por ajuste", I show them the job to do and we agree a Total Price . Bathroom I pay 7500, and it's well done, I could recommand my guys.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Always, always negotiate the price before the work starts. As someone else stated ask your friend what is usual for this guy.