Return ticket. Old theme new question

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
We see this subject every once in a while, but my question is this: I have the regularization sticker in my USA passport and left without paying the fine, but when I come back will I need the return ticket, or is this as good as residency when it comes to a return ticket? Anybody have experience with this?
Der Fish

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I'd take the risk and only be prepared to buy an expensive refundable ticket on the spot when flying back.*

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
We see this subject every once in a while, but my question is this: I have the regularization sticker in my USA passport and left without paying the fine, but when I come back will I need the return ticket, or is this as good as residency when it comes to a return ticket? Anybody have experience with this?
Der Fish

I have found that sticker to be pretty magical, but this being the DR, you never know.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have found that sticker to be pretty magical, but this being the DR, you never know.

He only has to worry in the US about demanding a return. No one has ever been refused entry into the DR without a return. And I do mean NO ONE.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
The return ticket is only required by the airline that flies you into the D.R. Since I am a resident, it has never been an issue for me. I frequently purchase only one way tickets when I'm not sure of my travel plans. When the subject is brought up during check-in in the U.S. I simply tell the agent I have D.R. residency and almost never have to provide any evidence. If you have a sticker in your passport, regardless of what it is for, I'm sure that would be more than enough evidence. And as has been mentioned before, as a last resort, buy a one way ticket back at the airport and then cancel it once you are on the plane.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Der Fish

sounds like you plan to return. i like that...

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
He only has to worry in the US about demanding a return. No one has ever been refused entry into the DR without a return. And I do mean NO ONE.
the return ticket thing is just a way for the air lines to make money always check in curb side if possible.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I'd take the risk and only be prepared to buy an expensive refundable ticket on the spot when flying back.*

No need to buy an expensive refundable ticket any more: pretty much any airline ticket issued in in the US can now be cancelled free of charge within 24 hours of purchase (the date has to be at least 7 days out I think). So, buy any $200 ticket before the flght and cancel it after landing.*

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Any reason this wouldn't work? Buy a bus ticket to Haiti, sell it or toss it.

One cannot even buy a ticket for the ferry to Puerto Rico online, ( I tried) and i doubt one could buy a bus ticket across the DR into Haiti outside of the country, but you are thinking!
Der Fish

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Bottom line is the Airline can force you to show proof of a Return Ticket, or buy it on the spot..
Does not matter what your status is in the DR. Unless you have a Dominican Passport you can be forced to show proof of return. This was covered in a prev thread in great detail, there is no way around this, if they spot check you, you wont be getting on that plane without it.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Some friends of mine from Canada have the regularization visa in their passport have flown to Canada at least 3-4 times and have never needed to have a return ticket.

The main reason the airlines require a return ticket is that if, for ANY reason, immigration denies you entry into the country, the airline is responsible for flying you back.

A bus ticket to Haiti is not going to help because, if you are not admitted into the DR, how are you going to use it to get out?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
One cannot even buy a ticket for the ferry to Puerto Rico online, ( I tried) and i doubt one could buy a bus ticket across the DR into Haiti outside of the country, but you are thinking!
Der Fish

There are two bus companies in Santo Domingo you can purchase an advance ticket to Haiti online. You can also make a reservation with Caribe Tours and they will email you a receipt, although not a purchased ticket.

......The main reason the airlines require a return ticket is that if, for ANY reason, immigration denies you entry into the country, the airline is responsible for flying you back.

I may be wrong but I do not believe that to be the case as my understanding is you need to show "onward" travel. Your outbound ticket could be with another airline to the north pole and that would suffice.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
the return ticket thing is just a way for the air lines to make money always check in curb side if possible.

No, I don't believe that is true. This was initiated by the DR Gov. and is a requirement for any airline flying into the DR. Whether this is enforced is another thing.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
jet blue got me, the first time in 20 something yrs. I bought a refundable ticket and canceled it as soon as I got here.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
There are two bus companies in Santo Domingo you can purchase an advance ticket to Haiti online. You can also make a reservation with Caribe Tours and they will email you a receipt, although not a purchased ticket.

I may be wrong but I do not believe that to be the case as my understanding is you need to show "onward" travel. Your outbound ticket could be with another airline to the north pole and that would suffice.

If you have an "onward" travel ticket that's fine becuase, if they deny you entry into the country, they can hold you in the "in transit" lonuge until you get the flight out. Do they ever check to see if your onward fight actually departs from your point of entry? Who knows(?).

As you can see from previous posts on another thread about this, this requirement is applied very inconsistently and seems to vary from one airline to another. I would just call the airline and ask if a bus ticket is acceptable.