DR Adoptions and Single Applicants

SummerRain

Feb 23, 2002
This question is directed to Mr Guzman.

It appears from my reading of Art 30 subsection (c) of the DR Minors' Code that single persons can only adopt from the DR if they already have parented or are parenting child(ren).
Is this interpretation is correct ?... ie CHILDLESS singles cannot adopt from the DR.

Also the US State Department website states:

"In cases where the Dominican Republic has already declared a child abandoned, adoptive parents may be given legal guardianship with the intent of adoption in the United States."

Is this still the case .. can adopting parents be given guardianship with the intention to adopt in the US?

Thank you for your comments.

Last edited:

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The text of Art. 30- c) refers to the case of two singles adopting jointly: it can only be done when the two singles are already in care of the child. A single can adopt in the D.R. (see Art. 14 of the Regulation).

Articles 194 and 195 of the Code of Minors allow the court to grant legal guardianship to any relative that would offer the child the best chances for his upbringing. By extension, in case of an abandoned child with no known relatives the court could give custody to a person who may later proceed to a legal adoption in the U.S.

Last edited:

SummerRain

Feb 23, 2002
Mr Guzman, thank you for your information. It appears that the information on the US website is somewhat misleading, notwithstanding the disclaimer, perhaps you could suggest the correct text to them.

Also can you direct me to where (if possible on the web) I can get a copy of the regulatiions governing adoptions in the DR.

Thanks again

SummerRain

Feb 23, 2002
DR & the Hague Convention on Inercountry Adoption

Mr Guzman, Thank you for the DR adoption regulations.

Can you please tell me what the DR's position is on the Hague "Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in respect of Intercountry Adoption"? Are they thinking of signing .. or implementing it?

Is there general support for the "Convention" among adoption professionals in the DR ... lawyers, social workers, child welfare agencies ... the government or the judiciary...?

Are there any NGOs that work in the area of adoption advocacy for the children that are living in institutional care?

I hope this is not putting you on the spot.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The 1993 The Hague Convention on Intercountry Adoption has not been adopted by the D.R. and I don't think it will be in the foreseeable future. Unfortunately, NGO's in the adoption field are not well-developed or influential.

SummerRain

Feb 23, 2002
60 day stay in the DR

I have found some information which suggests that the stay in the DR (minimum of 60 days) can be shortened when adopting a child under 15 years old.

Can you please tell me if this is true? and under what conditions would the authorities allow a shortened stay? Also who is it that has the power to alter the stay, does the courts/Judge have any discretionary power?