Sassafras Seasoning (aka Filet Powder)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Can this be found in Sirena?

Sassafras is the same as Gumbo File, used to make those Louisiana dishes. the chances of finding it in the DR are about the same as getting hit by lightning twice in the same spot. *Amazon is your friend here.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Sassafras is the same as Gumbo File, used to make those Louisiana dishes. the chances of finding it in the DR are about the same as getting hit by lightning twice in the same spot. *Amazon is your friend here.

Dang, I have a good Southern deep fried turkey recipe but not enough time for an Amazon delivery.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It says on google you can use okra as a substitute - plenty of that around lol.

Most gumbo recipes use two types of thickeners: a roux and either file powder or okra. File powder is ground sassafras leaves and adds a distinctive root beer flavor to gumbo. If okra is used, it should be cooked for approximately 45 minutes to lose its slimy texture, while file powder should be added at the end of cooking. It is recommended that okra and file should not be used in the same batch of gumbo, as the gumbo may become too thick.

Matilda

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
My Death Row last meal

It says on google you can use okra as a substitute - plenty of that around lol.

Most gumbo recipes use two types of thickeners: a roux and either file powder or okra. File powder is ground sassafras leaves and adds a distinctive root beer flavor to gumbo. If okra is used, it should be cooked for approximately 45 minutes to lose its slimy texture, while file powder should be added at the end of cooking. It is recommended that okra and file should not be used in the same batch of gumbo, as the gumbo may become too thick.

Matilda
"Boiled Okra" ? slowly I turn, step by step.
Boiling Okra should be a crime, as it's a waste of a great vegetable (although a good gumbo is hard to beat). I grew up on fried Okra for dinner and Biscuits and Gravy for breakfast. If I were on death row I would request biscuits and gravy, fried okra (done right) and corned beef and cabbage with potatoes and carrots with a large dollop of hot Chinese mustard.
But where can you find good fried okra in the DR ? Tell me. Maybe the Haitians do it ?