LED Bulbs

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
For those of us who watch our 'wattage' footprint, look at this.........

www.earthled.com

Free shipping on any order, good price & easy return.

I have purchased 2 appliance bulbs and just now, 12 chandelier bulbs.
They have every bulb imaginable... pharmacy lamp types, you name it.

Being so light , I had them shipped directly here.... $6 with Aeropst for the appliance bulbs.

Use this reference code when ordering
http://earthled.ref.cc/FT394PG

Thanks, good luck

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The DR content is for those of us here who have solar watch our wattage......
Also, I added a fact about shipping a light item.

My intention was and is to assist those of us living in a sometimes difficult situation.
LED bulbs are rare here except in limited shapes/sizes and wattages.

This might, just might, make our lives more livable .

Thank you for your understanding.

Has the snow hit Erieau yet?
Bad in London ON, they tell me

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Sorry but I think that LED that William talks about is very important to the DR and everywhere.

I was shocked by my elec. bills in the DR and changed to solar very quickly. A big part of changing is understanding the use of Amps and that includes lights. Something that I'm working on to reduce my elec. power by 80% just on lighting. Depending on what studies you look at. Though the cost per bulb is higher they have come down a lot over the years and the length of service is reported to be a very cost savings per bulb as well as the $ usage.

In the DR where elec. is a big concern for at least some; on line, solar or other, these various costs and being able to maintain your home become important.

I have NOT visited the recommended sight but with my new solar system have now entered the next step to reduce Amps and LED has become a large part on my project.

BTW. LED does NOT contain mercury as the others due. They are cooler, last longer, do not ? explode or catch fire. Depending on what you read? So do your own research and make the choice that works best for you in the DR or .....where ever. On Amazon they have an amazing amount of choices for LED's so you can compare and learn.

Thank you.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Question for those of you who have used led bulbs in DR. We've been afraid to invest in them, because of the fluctuations/spurts. *The squiggly and regular bulbs burn out ridiculously fast - same issue with these?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Solar has less fluctuation AE, maybe none

These are dimmable..
I have had no problem with bulbs*

Ah, I forgot you're solar, we're not. *Plain old Edesur, inverters and a whole house voltage regulator that helps appliances run but does nothing to stop frying bulbs

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Ikea LED bulbs are pretty good.*A little on the pricey side, but good.

I've also seen a shop in the new plaza by the Texaco station in Sosua that specializes only in LED bulbs. *Haven't visited it yet.

Irie

Aug 15, 2014
Ikea LED bulbs are pretty good.*A little on the pricey side, but good.

I've also seen a shop in the new plaza by the Texaco station in Sosua that specializes only in LED bulbs. *Haven't visited it yet.

If your referring to the one on the side street next to Texaco, I think they already packed it in.*

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
What I like about the Ikea ones is that they give out a warm white light. *Some LED bulbs can give out that pasty bluish light which I don't like for a bedroom or living room.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
If your referring to the one on the side street next to Texaco, I think they already packed it in.*

Wow! *That was quick. *I suppose many had the same idea as Bill and me, buy your bulbs on the internet!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I make a habit in Canada of going to the Loblaws in the lower income neighborhoods.
LED bulbs are always on sale...
Too pricey there

As are many other things....

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Going a little off topic WW,*

How has your solar system faired in these recent days of endless overcast?

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Question for those of you who have used led bulbs in DR. We've been afraid to invest in them, because of the fluctuations/spurts. *The squiggly and regular bulbs burn out ridiculously fast - same issue with these?

LED's are much more hardy to elec fluctuations... as reports say. We have just installed 20 with another 40 in shipment. The Dimming ones have worked fine with no buzz or delay problems. We use the warm light inside and bright or better outside security as you wish. We have had a few 60W equivalent LEDs for a couple of years and no problem at all.

Ya know? Just buy a few from where ever and play with them. A "Brilliant" 100 watt can be 5000 Lums and that really bright using 7 watts. Please do you own research.

As we noted. Energy/power savings is a two sided process. They are best worked together.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Ah, I forgot you're solar, we're not. *Plain old Edesur, inverters and a whole house voltage regulator that helps appliances run but does nothing to stop frying bulbs

In my experience, these newer LED bulbs, including the CREE's are much more durable than the fluorescent. The squiggle fluorescent bulbs are really junk in the DR and seem to separate quickly from the base. Maybe the salt water is the culprit.
The LED's are more durable to vibration as well. Both of the older types of bulbs had short lives in my outside fixtures that vibrated a little in the wind and cold. I replaced them with LED's and now I have had no problems. The fluorescent bulbs are designed for lamps. If you read the box, they are not designed to be installed upside down or sideways, which really shortens their life.
Finally, low current or current fluctuations do not seem to affect the LED's in my houses, solar or no solar. You can pick them up on sale now for $2-3 USD each.