Buying Cheap

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Does anyone know any realtors, preferably Dominican who work with land or houses in Montellano or Montebravo. I am looking for something really cheap - not a tourist type place. Looking for local connections who work with cheaper real estate vs the ones that work with high $ homes in Sosua and Cab. Thanks

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It has been my experience that such properties are sold privately. No motivation for a realtor to be involved.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Does anyone know any realtors, preferably Dominican who work with land or houses in Montellano or Montebravo. I am looking for something really cheap - not a tourist type place. Looking for local connections who work with cheaper real estate vs the ones that work with high $ homes in Sosua and Cab. Thanks

I would just drive through the places and look around or ask at the local colmado. How about building it yourself? Might even be cheaper and at your taste.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Yeah im wieghing options. I know there are a ton of lots between Montellano and Playa Dorado on the North side of the hwy. I think its called Monte Bravo but I can find any info online about them so I figured maybe a Dominican agency is selling them.*

I would just drive through the places and look around or ask at the local colmado. How about building it yourself? Might even be cheaper and at your taste.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Yeah im wieghing options. I know there are a ton of lots between Montellano and Playa Dorado on the North side of the hwy. I think its called Monte Bravo but I can find any info online about them so I figured maybe a Dominican agency is selling them.*

Lot's of half built houses in that area too - expecially Montellano. Find some you like and have a trustworthy Dom inquire and haggle. But yeah, you won't find anything online.

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Why not save a few more dollars and buy the house of your dreams.

Is buying a "really cheap - not a tourist type place" in Monellano a great idea?

I think not.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
A somewhat isolated house or property in that area makes a very nice
target for criminals, and Montellano is full of them, both Haitian and Dominican.
I know this area well. Have Dominican friends who live in Montellano.
I highly reccommend you rent in this area for at least a year or two and really lay down
a solid foundation with some of the locals before buying... if you plan on living there.
Good neighbors are always your best security in this country.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Thanks for the advice. I am very familiar with Montellano. My partner is from there. Just looking for someone to take us around to see whats out there at the moment. Forgot to mention - have hundreds of friends in town and all my partners family is there. Not looking in Montellano though, looking on the side the other poster was talking about - I believe its called Monte Bravo *

A somewhat isolated house or property in that area makes a very nice
target for criminals, and Montellano is full of them, both Haitian and Dominican.
I know this area well. Have Dominican friends who live in Montellano.
I highly reccommend you rent in this area for at least a year or two and really lay down
a solid foundation with some of the locals before buying... if you plan on living there.
Good neighbors are always your best security in this country.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Its really not a "few" bucks. Our dollar is in the toilet and I dont have $100-$200k to buy a house there now. I want to start by buying some land and go from there.*

Why not save a few more dollars and buy the house of your dreams.

Is buying a "really cheap - not a tourist type place" in Monellano a great idea?

I think not.

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
Lol, some of the people here act like it is absolutely unthinkable that a Gringo goes to live there. I know a couple of foreigners who live their and they have less robberies than some other gringos I know in Sosua or Puerto Plata.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Lol, some of the people here act like it is absolutely unthinkable that a Gringo goes to live there. I know a couple of foreigners who live their and they have less robberies than some other gringos I know in Sosua or Puerto Plata.
I lived there for a few months and found it to feel secure, of course it was a top floor apartment with barred (rejas) surrounding the galeria. The people are nice and the hustles are less frequent than Sosua.
The problem is you will find yourself leaving to PP or Sosua for everything but the smallest hardware items or groceries. And forget a restaurant or decent drink out on the town. So you will spend a lot in gas daily getting yourself to a more populous area.
But the people are friendly both Haitian and Dominicans and they do support their neighbors. The downtown park is a good place to sit and strike up a conversation.
A couple things are the very dirty streets and too many friggin' roosters. And that one Dominican neighbor's son who felt putting a 5' speaker atop his car and shaking the neighborhood made him something special - yes it did - a special kind of idiot.
Staying with my sister, now in Oregon for the holidays, it is amazing how quiet the neighborhood is at night - cool & peaceful. (and no bachata !)
But I would not buy in Montellano because of such limited choices.