Cacata

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I was wondering if there are other places that has a cacata plague.
We killed four now in two days. Bath-room, sitting-room and now two in the garden ( the schnautzer got it).

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
It a tarantulas harmless if they bite you it's like bee sting ,you probably have nest underground house....worry about centipede Getting you it hurts *, kill a dog fast if no treatment. Don't stomp a centepid either you will regret it for week! They have point on each end which will probably get you!

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I was wondering if there are other places that has a cacata plague.
We killed four now in two days. Bath-room, sitting-room and now two in the garden ( the schnautzer got it).

Not sure if there is a lot of rain where you are but all the water could be a reason. They may be looking for a dry place to hang out.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
If we were talking fish, I would be so on board with catch&release. Spiders? Not so much.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Haven't seen a really big one in over a year. A while back caught and released a juvenile. I catch around the house/yard and release far away so they really have to be determined to come back.

I do check under the covers before I slide into bed though. I don't mind the anoles and geckos running around the house, just wish they could be motivated to crap in one central location. Did see a humongous roach trying to carry off the coffee pot the other day...

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Don't they live in the ground? Rain has driven them out.*
Saw a huge one just sitting in the road in Perla Marina yesterday. They seem quite unfazed by humans....can't say the same for my own response!

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
We used to get 15 to 20 in Nov /Dec but thanks to the new hotel next door we haven't had one on our patio in 2 years. They are one of the nastiest looking things on the island. My understanding is that this time of year is thier mating season so that and the rain makes them come out of hiding more.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Yup its the downpours. They look for a dry place.
I am starting to get used to the cacatas. But at least the dogs kill them.
Cienpies still give me the creeps. ( i think a dog was bitten on the gace 2 weeks ago. HUGE swellen :( )
I dont mind the green snakes. Again the dogs kill them.
But lately we have had those black and red snakes ( which my fellow campesinos call the brava ones ). At least 1m50, and actually put up a quite a fight. The spade won though ;) ;)

We need everything to dry up !!! Please !!

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
According to the Weather Bug app on Monday and onward it shows sun and no rain. I hope they are right.

MOC1

Oct 22, 2002
The wet weather and saturated ground conditions forces them out of their holes in the ground, they are looking for a place to dry out.
I see them and they are dead, sorry but I won't have them on the patio or in the house.
Score since middle of October is 3, last winter 14 between me and the neighbor a 100 feet away. Because this year has been wetter I think the score for the season will be low.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
A cacata ran across my leg the other day and it was kind of shocking due to instinctual reflex but really they are harmless if you dont **** them off. *They kill vermin and are friendly and should not be killed but removed with care to a safe place. *To bite they need to flip over and will only bite if they are pressed or put in a corner.
*One night I saw a large one in my front room as I was going out. I usually put a bowl or something overthem to remove to a safe place later but i decided to leave it. *When i got back later it was interlocked with a mortal fight with a centepide. *The tarantula killed the centipede but died from its injuries later. *Cacatas are cool dont kill them but centipedes need to be eliminated.*

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Haven't seen a really big one in over a year. A while back caught and released a juvenile. I catch around the house/yard and release far away so they really have to be determined to come back.

I do check under the covers before I slide into bed though. I don't mind the anoles and geckos running around the house, just wish they could be motivated to crap in one central location. Did see a humongous roach trying to carry off the coffee pot the other day...

yeah, i hate the ones who try to get in the fridge through the back drain or something.......clever little buggers.