Suicide

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
If I'm not mistaken, 15 for girls and 16 for boys but with the parents' notarized approval and authorization of a judge they can marry younger.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
A true tragedy. The poor girl probably thought it was a better alternative to years of sexual and physical abuse.
I do not know what the legal age of marriage here is but this guy should be in jail. If the girls parents agreed to this they should be in jail too.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the chances that this girl was legally married (as in registered in oficina de estado civil) is minimal. dominicans tend to use use word "marriage/married" to describe any relationship where two people live together.

there was recently a great article in hoy talking about this and saying that so called "matrimonios infantiles" are in reality early inappropriate relationships.
http://hoy.com.do/no-son-matrimonios-infantiles-son-uniones-tempranas-inapropiadas/

DR has a very high number of early pregnancies that result from those early relationships.
http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2016/09/28/encabeza-lista-paises-con-mayor-tasa-embarazo-infantil
http://www.7dias.com.do/destacada/2...ana-lidera-ranking-regional.html#.WDWOcC0rLcc

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
This occurrence of older men marrying underaged girls is all too common in this country. The patriarchal, machista mentality of owning and conquering purity by sexual abuse is so caveman-ish. Unfortunately, the only two ways out of this situation is through the death of "el marido" or the death of the young girl who is being abused. I am so sorry that this child had to endure this to the point of committing suicide. May she rest in peace.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
This occurrence of older men marrying underaged girls is all too common in this country. The patriarchal, machista mentality of owning and conquering purity by sexual abuse is so caveman-ish. Unfortunately, the only two ways out of this situation is through the death of "el marido" or the death of the young girl who is being abused. I am so sorry that this child had to endure this to the point of committing suicide. May she rest in peace.

One word: POVERTY
Getting the young girl out of the house means one less mouth to feed. Being with an older man the girl has more "securities" than with a young man who just wants to hump her. Many including me might find this disgusting but in the old days not so long ago in our countries it was the same.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
One word: POVERTY
Getting the young girl out of the house means one less mouth to feed. Being with an older man the girl has more "securities" than with a young man who just wants to hump her. Many including me might find this disgusting but in the old days not so long ago in our countries it was the same.

Frank, I understand what you're saying. The poverty thing is a ruse, it's a con that the older conman uses. I will feed you in exchange for your sexual compliance? I think miseducation is the issue more or less.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
one of the articles i mentioned indicates that the man is older than "married" girl by 10 years or more in 24% of cases. that means that most of the "husbands" are guys in their twenties or so. not what i would call "older conman".

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
The article didn't have a lot of information other than respective ages and there were no signs of depression or sadness. In the absence of facts, it's very easy to insert presumptions.

People commit suicide for all sorts of reasons. I read one article on how long it took from somebody deciding to commit suicide to attempting it. The record was about 15 seconds although the lack of planning allowed him to survive his attempt. You just don't know without more information.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
I agree that sufficient info was not given in the article. When I used the term "older conman", it was in reference to an older man in a relationship with a girl that is underaged.

Jun 18, 2007
Frank, I understand what you're saying. The poverty thing is a ruse, it's a con that the older conman uses. I will feed you in exchange for your sexual compliance? I think miseducation is the issue more or less.

Who says it's the con the "old man" used? It might be the con of the girl's family, having somebody else take care of her and at the same time making the family bigger so in case of need there are more possibility of help. You know how many times in the several countries I lived in I have been offered underage girls by their parents? You'd be surprised how many.
Lack of education is the problem which causes ignorance and therefore poverty.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Marrying a child off at such a young age is inexcusable. Parents should be thrown in jail.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Marrying a child off at such a young age is inexcusable. Parents should be thrown in jail.

Parents should think like this.......

254vokj.jpg

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Sickens me that some dick head can ruin a child's life. I hate pedophiles more than anything.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Who says it's the con the "old man" used? It might be the con of the girl's family, having somebody else take care of her and at the same time making the family bigger so in case of need there are more possibility of help. You know how many times in the several countries I lived in I have been offered underage girls by their parents? You'd be surprised how many.

I dont think that I would be surprised. *its a source of income. inherant in poor areas.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015

Sorry, I meant to like the post, but my browser/internet jammed.

I think Frank is correct. The girls are actively pushed out of their homes from a young age, and it's expected that they take any opportunity that comes their way. Also, there's no right to return if say the girl is unhappy in their new home (and how could they not be unhappy). It's cultural and systemic, but largely driven by poverty as families try to reduce expenses while mitigating risk.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Sorry, I meant to like the post, but my browser/internet jammed.

I think Frank is correct. The girls are actively pushed out of their homes from a young age, and it's expected that they take any opportunity that comes their way. Also, there's no right to return if say the girl is unhappy in their new home (and how could they not be unhappy). It's cultural and systemic, but largely driven by poverty as families try to reduce expenses while mitigating risk.

one thing to consider is that a century ago the average household had six kids. now it *is far less, and i think today it might be three. in bygone days, pawning off young girls on lecherous old molesters was an expedient to reduce household expenses, and became culturally acceptable. even though the financial strains have lessened with time, the acceptability remains in place.

Jun 18, 2007
one thing to consider is that a century ago the average household had six kids. now it *is far less, and i think today it might be three. in bygone days, pawning off young girls on lecherous old molesters was an expedient to reduce household expenses, and became culturally acceptable. even though the financial strains have lessened with time, the acceptability remains in place.

The financial strains have lessened? I think they have increased, in the old days they didn't have diapers, milk formula etc etc.
Even though life has become more "comfortable" it also has become more expensive.