DampRid, drying crystals, or Similar?

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Rain is really getting to me (and I never thought I'd be sun starved in the DR). I put all my clothes out to dry a few days ago and now my closet is starting to smell like mold again.

Is there anything similar to DampRid here?

http://www.damprid.com/moisture-odor-control-center/how-damprid-works

I've never used this or similar products, but I remember them being referenced in pre-AC era Florida. I guess I could find a house with AC instead.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
LaSirena santiago.
Cant remember the name, cristalsomething or other.*
Sadly i bought the last 3. 110 pesos each. And the last 2 recharges. 65 pesos each.
I put them in the closets... now to see if they work !!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There is a local band that is a LOT less expensive than DampRid.

We'd buy one DampRid for the little plastic container, and then refill with the less expensive local brand that comes in a bag.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
My girlfriend said that "es para los ricos" and the dominicans just wait for the weather to change. I replied that I qualify.

I'll go hunting. The dehumidifier sounds good too. I'm sure it kick off some heat as well.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
My girlfriend said that "es para los ricos" and the dominicans just wait for the weather to change. I replied that I qualify.

I'll go hunting. The dehumidifier sounds good too. I'm sure it kick off some heat as well.

Unfortch, they don't really kick off heat. They just sort of suck everything out, like the Dementors in Harry Potter. (So sue me: my kid was just the right age and we are huge Potterheads.) The only other unfortch thing is that dehumidifiers depend on electric, which is not that reliable when it rains, yadda, yadda.

And the one (large) that I had in my basement in CT constantly needed to be emptied. It WAS sort of satisfying, and I could pour that water into my washer....ah. Life in the First World.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
There is a local band that is a LOT less expensive than DampRid.

We'd buy one DampRid for the little plastic container, and then refill with the less expensive local brand that comes in a bag.

The big Playero in Sosua has these little bags of beads that are meant to be de-humidifying. But since they come in a PLASTIC bag, I will have to find some kind of mesh or fabric bag (which I will probably have to make my own damn self) and then figure out a way to hang it....I'm going to start breathing in and only breathing out through the windows. This is certain to interrupt my sleep.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
The big Playero in Sosua has these little bags of beads that are meant to be de-humidifying. But since they come in a PLASTIC bag, I will have to find some kind of mesh or fabric bag (which I will probably have to make my own damn self) and then figure out a way to hang it....I'm going to start breathing in and only breathing out through the windows. This is certain to interrupt my sleep.

Ventilation is a natural effective way to reduce mould which usually grows in stagnant damp air areas. Keep closet doors open and bureau drawers ajar. Fans moving air through bedrooms and clothes storage areas will help. Wiping down storage areas like closets and bureau drawers with a cleaning solution mixed with mild bleach will *prevent mould growth. Clothes made from natural fibres, cotton etc, are less mould resistant than polyester fabrics. Plastic sealable see though storage bins are a easy way to prevent mould growth on clothes. You can place dri-beads or a dessicant like silica gel in them. The vacuum seal clear storage bags serve the same purpose. Dehumidifiers are okay but require constant drainage. Water from dehumidifiers is deminealized. It can be used to top up inverter batteries. They do generate a small amount heat but not enough to have any impact on the humidity in poorly insulated houses in tropical climates. I live by a lake and near the coast in Atlantic Canada where the humidity is high for most of the year. I use all these methods.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
NOOOOOO!!!!

That will make a huge mess! The crystals attract moisture. The need a container under them!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Ecoman,

I wrote pretty much the same thing earlier but opted not to post. All I'd add to your suggestions is to not hang your clothes tightly together. Allow some space for air to circulate. If you have to shove clothes to one side to place or remove an item on a hanger, consider donating some of the stuff you no longer wear to a local charity of your choice.*

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Why not place a pedestal fan blowing air into the closet?

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Helpful hint: did you know that chalk is a desiccant, just like silica gel? Have no idea how much you'd need for it to be effective in a large space, but I have it in my silver drawers and it keeps the sterling from tarnishing.