PLaya Rincon Flooded Road

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
November 2016 has seen weeks of torrential rains in the northern areas of the Dominican Republic, flooding rivers and roads, creating all manner of misery for the country.

On our Nov. 13-20 North Coast Tour we caught a 3? day weather break for some excellent riding and even had good sun for our traditional Beach Day outing at Playa Rincon, one of the most beautiful beaches on the planet.

But even Playa Rincon presented a flooded road challenge the the intrepid MotoCaribe gang met.

This is a video of the flooded road coming from the beach at the end of a fantastic Caribbean experience fueled by an amazing lobster lunch.

[video=vimeo;193263144]https://vimeo.com/193263144[/video]

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I went to Playa Rincon years ago and took the boat from Las Galeras. Would like to go back eventually...how long is the drive if you drove there from Las Galeras and is it doable in a simple not 4x4 vehicle?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I went to Playa Rincon years ago and took the boat from Las Galeras. Would like to go back eventually...how long is the drive if you drove there from Las Galeras and is it doable in a simple not 4x4 vehicle?
It's maybe 20-25 minutes max.

If the weather is good, you can do it in even a small car, no problema.

That video is the 5-standard-deviations exception after weeks of heavy rain.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
It's maybe 20-25 minutes max.

If the weather is good, you can do it in even a small car, no problema.

That video is the 5-standard-deviations exception after weeks of heavy rain.

Cobra, have you made the trek past the right turn to Rincon, all the way to the small boutique hotel overlooking El Valle? It is impressive!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Cobra, have you made the trek past the right turn to Rincon, all the way to the small boutique hotel overlooking El Valle? It is impressive!
No, but thanks for the tip. I'll check it out next time in the area.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
No, but thanks for the tip. I'll check it out next time in the area.

You will go up a large rocky hill, big sharp rocks with red soil in between, go up over the hill, at the bottom of the steep hill, make a right and keep going until you see the ocean. Make a left when you see the little hotel on the hill. The view is really impressive. On two separate trips, my wife and anther friend decided not to continue all the way. However after watching your videos, I think you will continue on to the end. On your way up, stop to look back at the impressive views of Rincon. The power line was run out there just for this owner of the hotel, so you will know you are on the right track if you follow the new power line.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Can someone provide the name of this hotel please.

I think it is Maribel or Maribella. Something like that. It is owned by an attorney in Santiago, and it is under constant construction and additions. He does not advertise it anywhere that I could find. The road is so difficult that the project manager commented that he got 76 flat tires during the construction of the hotel. Only go if you have a sense of adventure and a quad.