dermatologist

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Does anyone know of a dermatologist in Sosua or Puerto Plata? Thank you in advance.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Does anyone know of a dermatologist in Sosua or Puerto Plata? Thank you in advance.
There's a clinic in PP. Take the Malec?n and turn left at the block just past the fire department and its one block off Malec?n. Dirt cheap too.
I took a friend and her daughter there when they got itchy scabies. I knew what it was and all they needed was sulfur soap and permithrin solution. It cost her about 1500 pesos for everything.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My vote goes to Dra. Maria Consuela Yunen at Uni?n M?dica del Norte in Santiago, or in her own clinic "CUTIS"........

There are a couple of folks on this board who can tell you about her work...

Cordially,

HB

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Random thoughts: ALL of my Dominican friends go to their dermatologists religiously.

I take the normal precautions of always wearing sunscreen, hats, always under umbrellas at the beach AND in the shade. I have red hair and green eyes and skin that burns from walking in front of a light bulb, and I have never been to one.

Is this irresponsible?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Say 10 Hail Marys and bless your shade. It is hard to find shade while out in or on the ocean so I take it you don't spend much time in the water ?

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Say 10 Hail Marys and bless your shade. It is hard to find shade while out in or on the ocean so I take it you don't spend much time in the water ?

Correct. I go to la playa on Sundays only, like Dominicans. And I sit in the shade, under an umbrella, slathered with +50 sunscreen. And besides which, it is WAY too cold to be going to the beach at this time of year. Have not been since early November.

And Hail Marys are not in my lexicon. Maybe a Shehekhianu?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As a patient of hers, I second HillBilly's suggestion.

I had work done there and was extremely satisfied.

Meems, read my thread 'Medical Stuff' and think again about visiting a dermatologist.
40-50% of the 65+ population has melanoma.... not 'will get', HAS.

The trick is finding it.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Whoa William I think your fingers slipped on the keyboard. Only 2.5% of Caucasian people have a lifetime risk of getting melanoma. The average age at time of diagnosis is 63. It may be higher percentage in the Caribbean but these are the facts from www.cancer.org. I suspect the rate for Dominicans is very small.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
As a patient of hers, I second HillBilly's suggestion.

I had work done there and was extremely satisfied.

Meems, read my thread 'Medical Stuff' and think again about visiting a dermatologist.
40-50% of the 65+ population has melanoma.... not 'will get', HAS.

The trick is finding it.

William - Not to downplay the risks of cancer in my previous reply, as many people develop skin cancers as they age, like everything wonderful that comes with aging (the list grows yearly). But most are not melanoma. I had a couple instances of squamous cell cancers removed, the first at age 53.
But there is a fairly new treatment called Blu-U developed for treatment of acne that also treats pre-cancer cells, Actinic Keratoses (AK). Not sure if it's available in DR ? ? - but it works, and is not expensive in the states anyway.
They clean you skin with acetone, then spread Levulan Kerastick over the areas of AK then give a 16 minute exposure to the blue light. You must avoid the sun for a week, your skin will peel like a bad sunburn, but the area will be smoother than a baby's bottom and the AKs gone.
http://www.skincenternj.com/services/blu-u/

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Any dermatologist in Santiago does stuff like laser surgery for removing dark spots, skin tags and such? What about chemical peels? I've asked about this before but I can't find the thread or the information pertaining to it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ok boys, I'll see if I can find my source.

I am a 3x Efudex patient...lots of things come off.
Several benign removals until this one.

When I was first diagnosed, I felt like I chosen for the wrong team so I studied up.
That's when I read the high incidence.. perhaps undetected in many, but present.
Remember Jimmy Carter, so advanced it was on his brain and liver.
Sometimes to find it you need to bend over and use a mirror.

I'll see if I can find it.

Incidence doubles at 50 or 60, tripled at 80.
This is not to be toyed with.
Non Hispanic whites the highest, as I recall.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
If you found Efudex effective then the Blu-U is 3 times more effective especially for face, forehead or top of head if you are slightly follically challenged.