Things dominicans do

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
I'll probably get bashed for this, but at times I am intrigued and confounded by things that I see our brethren do. So, I'm venting a bit:

1. Point with the lips (may not be inimical to Dominicanos)

2. Afraid of the rain (GF said that no one was going to work the other day because of rain).

3. At a hotel which offers comp breakfast and we order mangu, salami and fried cheese.

4. you are in a room alone,on the phone, but find it neccessary to holler at 95dbm

5. Using a moto as if it were a pickup truck.

6. Have no idea how to use an oven except for storage.

7. Believe Casa Cerrado is real.

8. tubi,tubi, tubi nuff said

Forgive me, I just had to rant. Trust me, there's more, GF makes me want to poke a pencil in my eye at times, but I chalk it up to the Dominican experience. "They jus don know no better".

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
9)- Use the most expensive Chefs knife from the drawer to hack open a can of Olives, meanwhile there are 2 can openers in the same drawer and an electric one on the wall.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Forgot about that one. Damn near put my boot up the arse of the ex. I spend good money for my knives.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I'll probably get bashed for this, but at times I am intrigued and confounded by things that I see our brethren do. So, I'm venting a bit:

1. Point with the lips (may not be inimical to Dominicanos)

2. Afraid of the rain (GF said that no one was going to work the other day because of rain).

3. At a hotel which offers comp breakfast and we order mangu, salami and fried cheese.

4. you are in a room alone,on the phone, but find it neccessary to holler at 95dbm

5. Using a moto as if it were a pickup truck.

6. Have no idea how to use an oven except for storage.

8. tubi,tubi, tubi nuff said

Forgive me, I just had to rant. Trust me, there's more, GF makes me want to poke a pencil in my eye at times, but I chalk it up to the Dominican experience. "They jus don know no better".

i love number 3. i went with my buddy and his lady friend to a real Chinese restaurant in Santiago. when i say real, i say it to distinguish it from these little Chinese comedores which are all over the place, which sell pica pollo and french fries. i was surprised to discover that even the most authentic of Chinese restaurants here still serve mangu and fried chicken, because Dominicans simply will not eat anything they have never had before.

as to number 6, why use an oven when it is easier to fry everything in a quart of oil.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
2) having seen what the rain can do here, i can see why they`re scared
5) when you're poor and can only afford a moto, you have no choice

To add to the list:
Using barbed wire fence to hang washing....really cant be a money-saver in the long run
One hand behind the back while riding a moto (as a pickup truck!)....why??

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Anybody ever notice the motion, sort of a simultaneous spiral butt twirl / bounce, and head to and fro, while stuffing a size 9 posterior into a size 3 bluejean?
I do not know how they do it, but it always fits, they will do a few mid day adjustments, watch, it's fun to see.
[video=youtube;uFFpJJzaSok]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFFpJJzaSok&list=PLLNRyPsU4AS-Zcqb6wV2O5O6AkBYYqyAe&index=8&oref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Du FFpJJzaSok%26list%3DPLLNRyPsU4AS-Zcqb6wV2O5O6AkBYYqyAe%26index%3D8&has_verified=1[/video]
***NOTE***This is rated pg13***

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Anybody ever notice the motion, sort of a simultaneous spiral butt twirl / bounce, and head to and fro, while stuffing a size 9 posterior into a size 3 bluejean?
I do not know how they do it, but it always fits, they will do a few mid day adjustments, watch, it's fun to see.
[video=youtube;uFFpJJzaSok]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFFpJJzaSok&list=PLLNRyPsU4AS-Zcqb6wV2O5O6AkBYYqyAe&index=8&oref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Du FFpJJzaSok%26list%3DPLLNRyPsU4AS-Zcqb6wV2O5O6AkBYYqyAe%26index%3D8&has_verified=1[/video]
***NOTE***This is rated pg13***

if anyone was going to post this, it would have to be my Tio Tambo!!*

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
10. LODO
Lights On, Doors Open
When I tell them that I am going to charge them $100 pesos for every mosquito that enters, they just laugh.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
10. LODO
Lights On, Doors Open
When I tell them that I am going to charge them $100 pesos for every mosquito that enters, they just laugh.

i love it when they turn the pipe on, and, if no water comes out, they just leave it in the on position. ergo, when the water comes back, it just floods everywhere, since they are never home when it does return.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015

I'm crushed.

11. Crunching on chicken bones. I generally clean off the meat and put the bone done only to have my GF snatch it up and literally crunch the bone to remove the cartilage.
12. Pulling a wheelie on a 49cc scooter will tiny tires and two grown men is cool.
13. Leaving store tags on items from refrigerators to hats.
14. Butt cleavage is cool on men.
15. Spending an afternoon outside a colmado is constructive use of time.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Dominicans never change speed or alter direction when walking in a mall. I have gotten tired of always losing the game of chicken. I walked into bella vista mall and am walking towards escalator. Periferal vision sees dude walking from my right to my left. Of course my instinct is to slow slightly down or speed slightly up so we do not arrive at the intersection point at same time. After 15 years of this and never seeing the dominican slow or speed up. I do the same. I walk with blinders on from point A to point B if we meet at intercection point, being 6'4 and just shy of 300, I win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Same on sidewalks dominican family of four, spread out wide, taking entire width of sidewalk and not budging an inch if someone is trying to pass or coming from other direction. Thought of sharing sidewalk or walkway doesn't occur to them. Now I just start walking faster with ****ed off look and they now sometimes will grab kids to move them out of my path. If not, I slightly alter course and plow into dad, sayinh "oh perdon".

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Sitting in a cafe having espresso inevitably shows up 2-4 dominicans that although sitting 2 feet from the others talks loud enough to be heard in san juan. I pull out phone and start shouting over them. They look at me like I am rude.

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
Drive 30 mph in the fast lane of the autopista.

Drive at night with the high beams on blinding everybody coming towards them. Stopping at all accidents to check it out causing huge traffic jams...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Dominicans never change speed or alter direction when walking in a mall. I have gotten tired of always losing the game of chicken. I walked into bella vista mall and am walking towards escalator. Periferal vision sees dude walking from my right to my left. Of course my instinct is to slow slightly down or speed slightly up so we do not arrive at the intersection point at same time. After 15 years of this and never seeing the dominican slow or speed up. I do the same. I walk with blinders on from point A to point B if we meet at intercection point, being 6'4 and just shy of 300, I win.

i thought you were about to say that they do not change speed on the roadways. however, i have seen exactly what you are mentioning. it is part and parcel of the devil may care mentality, which disavows the existence of anyone else. as we speak, i am looking across at the apartment building in front of mine. it has parking for 5 cars, and the spaces are marked for each apartment. the lady from apartment 4 has parked across both her spot and the one for number 5. she does not even contemplate the novel idea that he might want to use his spot.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Wandering street vendors. Yesterday I counted 16 times some dickhead was screaming aguacate loud enough to be heard two blocks away, came by. Twice an hour on average and I have never seen anyone actually buy from them. Unless my TV volume is 80% I can't hear it over these dumb asses. I live on 7th floor and watching TV in my own apt is not an option unless dominican volume on TV.