Ringworm in a dog

Jul 28, 2014
If you have tea tree oil in the house in the meantime, when applied correctly and in a DILUTED form on dogs, tea tree oil can assist in treating topical infections such as ringworm along with other bacterial and fungal infections. The natural health community suggests dabbing some diluted (less than 1% – ideally .1%-1% concentration mixed with water) in the affected areas of the dog’s body two times a day for one week.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Ww, you got me wondering.
I have a dog who has like a huge boil on his face. The ares between ear and jaw.
Loss of hair, scabby, oozy thimg.....
I thought it was an insect bite like a cienpie. And gave him oral antibiotics and an anti-venom.

After googling ring worm, i now wonder if that is the problem.

What are the symptoms of your dog ?

Thanks.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Soaking in vinegar and water is anti-fungal too.... I will try that.

Malko, a lump started. She licked it a lot and then another open sore appeared beside it.
The textbook definition of ringworm describes it accurately.

Not much success today. De la Cruz not in and Dr. Bob disagrees with ringworm assessment.
Seeing a Miami vet tonight*

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I am just getting rid of (I hope) a nasty ringworm infection of my own that bloomed the day after I returned from Santo Domingo (October 3). I've been using 1% clotrimazole cream and 1% miconazole nitrate powder twice daily. It's been more than eight weeks, and there's still quite a few spots on my chest. The medication can be expensive here in the states. You can pay as much as $9 for a 1/2 oz. tube of the cream, however I eventually found a 1.5 oz. tube in WalMart for $0.88 (natureplex or something like that). I was using 1/2 oz. a day. Dirty motor oil might be OK for something that is going to market in a year, but it might kill your pet a little earlier than you wanted to part with him. I also tried cider vinegar, it is very painful, although I think it might have had a helpful effect. Pets (and people) can be there own worst enemy with skin irritations. You might need a cone.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Soaking in vinegar and water is anti-fungal too.... I will try that.

Malko, a lump started. She licked it a lot and then another open sore appeared beside it.
The textbook definition of ringworm describes it accurately.

Not much success today. De la Cruz not in and Dr. Bob disagrees with ringworm assessment.
Seeing a Miami vet tonight*

I am not very google for this kind of thing. Always 100 diffrent possibilities.

It started with hair loss, maybe like twice the size of a coin, *then swelled a bit.
He cant lick it as it is on his face, but the other dogs take care of that for him.
Even locked up in his house he will put his head along the bars so the others can lick..... :( :(

I then decided to take action. The swelling was like twice the size of a golfball !!! Looked sore, but thankfully not that much, the dog is normal.
He got to live in the house with us.*
I smeared*rompe ubre ( ?? ) something to do with breaking cow tits maybe ??
Anyway its supposed to burst swellings/infections. It sort of controlled the swelling.
I also gave him antibiotics and antivenom pills, as I thought it might have been a bite (cienpie or snake ).

Still no sign of getting better and its the 3d week.

Saw your post. Bought a medicalised skin shampoo and washed him and the "boil " *thouroughly.
It actually sort of half bursted, which I hope is good.
Now, once he dries out, I will apply*sarna sana,agro vet guy/boy says will do the trick...even though it isnt sarna.....lets see......

malko

Jan 12, 2013
P.S.

Google always says consult a vet....which in a first world country is easy peasy......
Here in the dr, if u dont live in a big/tourist city...... forget it.
Agrovets are all there is. Which is well if your chiwawa has a sore paw......
Try getting them to take a look at my rottie......:( :( who is actually very well behaved.
But its his nephew that has the problem. Half rottie half pincher half god knows what. *Young and agressive. Very agressive.

All that to say that a simple vet trip is actually a big expedition and hardly possible.
These dogs are outdoor dogs. Not used to being touched and prodded except by me.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Not Mange, malko? Do you know?

In my experience, mange itches the dog A LOT. Like crazy itches. And less localised, ie diffrent patches on diffrent parts of the body. And no lumbs or boils.
The rottie had mange last year. Cured him with a mix of olive oil, garlic, lots of garlic and savila that i made a lotion out of.

But thats personnal experience, no idea of the real medical name and such.

May 29, 2006
I just gave the pup a shot of Ivermectin for something. Mi esposa bought it. He was scratching his skin off. The dogs around here are all carrying something..

If I were King, I'd start sterilizing the stray males using a pig castrator... crazy device.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
P.S.

Google always says consult a vet....which in a first world country is easy peasy......
Here in the dr, if u dont live in a big/tourist city...... forget it.

Which is why I was asking yesterday where to source vitamin K1 ..other than vet.. *

Malko you may need to take photos of the wound then go to a real vet in Santiago!*

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
So many with sooo many different symptoms and home remedies makes this thread very difficult to follow.

We lost 1 dog and treated 3 others for "Tick Disease" Add to dictionary. this summer. You can look it up and Dr. Bob knows about it. Very nasty tick virus.

With over 40 days of rain, skin and respiratory diseases have also taken hold. We have several animals on medication for breathing difficulties, skin problems and ticks are back even thou we treat on a regular timed basis.

IMO... If your animal is in distress, take it to a good vet. For our larger animals, we pay for a top LARGE animal Vet to travel to us from S.D. to our place on the N.C. Not ALL vets are trained equal for all animals.

I guess that I've added to the confusion. Best thing to do is.... take the animal to a GOOD vet. GOOD is kinda important.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Here is the "look up".

Sorry. New here so learning how to post.

ehrlichiosis. http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2102&aid=430

This is just ONE problem that we have encountered here in the Tropics but is also in North America and ??. We have learned about so many others. We have had animals in the U.S. our whole lives and thought we had it covered. NOT! Hooved and dog nail deterioration with the constant wet ground is a problem along with all sorts of skin problems.

New place... new problems unknown about needs new learning from trusted professionals.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Finishing off....

Dr de la Cruz took it off , surgically.... all well done

I am very happy with him as my prime veterinarian.

Has neutered a dog and a cat plus various wormings, etc.

Even speaks some English if you need it
Sosua.... look him up