Don't fall for this scam

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Was in Puerto Plata a few weeks ago.A guy pulled up beside us and said a piece fell off our truck. A Ball Joint.
I said tks and drove off. He followed us . I was on my way to my mechanic. We stopped. He pointed to a ball joint in the middle of the road. He said he was a mechanic and could fix it for $300 peso. He went under the truck to look and told me to turn the wheel.

He showed me where it was missing.

He took off and in 2 minutes came back with the new piece.

Only 3500 pesos. I said forget it. Lets go to the store where you bought it I was to ck price. He said it was closed.

We went to another store and they pulled out a box of parts for $7000. I said forget it

So we went back he had the tools right beside the seat. Replaced it in one minute. Paid $2400 . Said tks

I went to my mechanic and he said they do this all the time. He basically disabled my truck so I was f**ked.

I know it was a scam but couldnt figure it out.

Bottom line. Don't let them touch your car without you watching them.

He smelled like a pig and had the worst breath too.. No licence on his car. Wifey took a picture

Have a nice day

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
it is a pity that your knowledge of cars seems to be limited, or you would have laughed at him and continued on your merry way. without a ball joint ,your car will not steer.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
it is a pity that your knowledge of cars seems to be limited, or you would have laughed at him and continued on your merry way. without a ball joint ,your car will not steer.

Easy friend. These scammers hone their skills until they can take in a fare amount of people. It's easier to just assume that we're susceptible to some scam.

Bottom line is don't let anybody touch your car. Just drive off. If followed, go to a gas station as they security and cameras. Scammers know better than to follow you in there as they will get made.

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
Without a ball joint it would be a LOT worse than lack of steering, lol

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
This scam has been occurring on the highway just outside Puerto Plata for quite awhile now. *A guy tried it on me a few years ago. *I felt a bang/thump against my car. Two guys in a car pull up on my left and wave at me like something's wrong. *I pull over and they say something fell off my car. *A minute later a kid (14-16 y/o) runs up and says "this fell off your car" (he's holding a ball joint). *The two guys in the car say their cousin has a shop close by and can fix it.
I just looked under my car for a quick check, then drove away. I had recognized the part as a ball joint and knew my steering wouldn't work without it. So it had to be a scam.
I'm guessing the "bang/thump" against my car was the kid (working with them) rolling/throwing something at my car as I went past.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This scam has been occurring on the highway just outside Puerto Plata for quite awhile now. *A guy tried it on me a few years ago. *I felt a bang/thump against my car. Two guys in a car pull up on my left and wave at me like something's wrong. *I pull over and they say something fell off my car. *A minute later a kid (14-16 y/o) runs up and says "this fell off your car" (he's holding a ball joint). *The two guys in the car say their cousin has a shop close by and can fix it.
I just looked under my car for a quick check, then drove away. I had recognized the part as a ball joint and knew my steering wouldn't work without it. So it had to be a scam.
I'm guessing the "bang/thump" against my car was the kid (working with them) rolling/throwing something at my car as I went past.

thse guys are not intelligent enough to come up with a new scam. they have probably used this dumb ruse hundreds of times.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
This has been going on for quite a while ..
It is almost always 2 guys, they throw something at your car, and then claim they SAW something, or your tire is wobbling, they make up some BS story. . If you DO pull over DO NOT GET OUT OF THE CAR until they leave .They will notice this and wont hang around , usually they have some parting words like " what do you think we are Criminals, we came to HELP" ... you cant blame them for Trying, but these guys could be also armed and dangerous, so do NOT get out of your car.
The odds of something hitting your car like that and causing tire or other serious damage , is almost Zero..
And if they claim something just FELL off your car, you know its 100% BS
Yup, its happened to most of us , just drive away and go to the nearest gasoline station and ask them to check your car over .

Edit , ok just read your whole story.
this is a Variation now to the Old Scam above.. If a guy is following you, that is never good . you were lucky it did not cost you more.

Apr 7, 2014
U tell him Bredren!
If u had REALLY lost a ball joint....Your car would have stopped, plopped and dropped to the ground IMMEDIATELY. There would be no following you down the street to point at something that is clearly connected to another something that didnt bother you before he pointed it out.

Feb 7, 2007
WTF? Do you know what would happen if you got a broken ball joint?
I do, I had it two times.
Last one was just 10 days ago, I knew the part was bad and I was waiting for the part to arrive. The ball joint broke just on the way from courier where I picked up the package to mechanic (no biggie, driving at 20 mph snapped ball joint does not cause any accident).

But a broken/snapped ball joint results in, basically, this:

quarterview.jpg

38092d1288186697-broken-upper-ball-joint-broken-fj.jpg

IMG_2616.jpg.html

maxresdefault.jpg

12169512.jpg
suspension_failure.jpg

273412d1361119055-lower-ball-joint-failed-with-pics-balljoint.jpg

and yes, mine looked exactly like this ... both times... but as I knew they were bad I drove only in-city (Higuey you basically cannot drive faster than 15-20 mph)... so I was basically "safe" at all times

P.S. Funny thing, my insurance company had to send (free) roadside assistance tow truck all the way from La Romana to tow me 4 block (that's how far I was from the mechanic's Taller)... go figure... only in ErreDe

Drak

Jul 7, 2015
It's one thing to advise people of these schemes and help them avoid them in the future, its another IMO to belittle.

You're a master mechanic? Good for you.

Many are not. I think most here appreciate 'insight' instead...

I certainly appreciate reading people's experiences, including yours.

Please consider that in the future.

-Drak.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Old scam.
Remember it is the Holiday and the season of giving, scamming, begging, stealing, hand outs and pay offs...

Bob K

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It is hard to remember not to stop. I am sure a version of this was run against me a few weeks ago as I drove through Los Charamicos around 6 pm on my moto - my tire was going to burst because of a hot exhaust pipe I understood them to say.

One guy yelled as I passed by to get me to stop. A block down the road I was approached by two guys who just appeared out of nowhere. They looked shady, what they had to say made no sense and I could see no problem with my bike. Told them I'd have my mechanic look at it in the morning and left.

I know better but I forgot where I was. I knew that nothing felt wrong with my moto and in the moment failed to remember that not everyone is my friend. How can you not be concerned when someone tells you have a problem. I should have slowed down and stopped in a much better place than the side of the street to check things out. Lapses in judgement happen to the best of us from time to time especially when it comes to accessing the intentions of others.

image001.jpgimage002.jpgimage003.jpgimage004.jpg

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
The brake scam.

A scruffy little man on an even scruffier motor bike was gesturing down at my wheel. This is often a kindness to indicate low air pressure.

I never stop on the spot so I pulled into a gas station by the air pump. I checked the tire and it was fine. The little man on the moto pulls in and in a flash is down on the ground and sticks his hand in the wheel well, pulls it out shows me grease on his fingers and starts babbling about "brake fluid leaking... very dangerous... I can fix it...".

I stand between him and the wheel well open his hand (which is now closed) to see if he has anything in his hand besides grease. He doesn't.

I help him up effusively thanking him and telling him that my mechanic is right around the corner and I'm going there right now and continue standing between him and my car.

He keeps babbling and I thank him again and tell him he can go. He babbles a little more and leaves.

I checked the air on all the tires. Fine.

Checked the brake fluid. Fine.

Looked for brake fluid leak. Couldn't see any.

Moved the car. Checked again. No evidence.

I kept checking the brakes for a few days. No problem