Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 70
  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    435
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Don't fall for this scam

    Was in Puerto Plata a few weeks ago.A guy pulled up beside us and said a piece fell off our truck. A Ball Joint.
    I said tks and drove off. He followed us . I was on my way to my mechanic. We stopped. He pointed to a ball joint in the middle of the road. He said he was a mechanic and could fix it for $300 peso. He went under the truck to look and told me to turn the wheel.

    He showed me where it was missing.

    He took off and in 2 minutes came back with the new piece.

    Only 3500 pesos. I said forget it. Lets go to the store where you bought it I was to ck price. He said it was closed.

    We went to another store and they pulled out a box of parts for $7000. I said forget it

    So we went back he had the tools right beside the seat. Replaced it in one minute. Paid $2400 . Said tks

    I went to my mechanic and he said they do this all the time. He basically disabled my truck so I was f**ked.

    I know it was a scam but couldnt figure it out.

    Bottom line. Don't let them touch your car without you watching them.

    He smelled like a pig and had the worst breath too.. No licence on his car. Wifey took a picture


    Have a nice day

  2. #2
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    33,470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    it is a pity that your knowledge of cars seems to be limited, or you would have laughed at him and continued on your merry way. without a ball joint ,your car will not steer.

  3. Likes Commander Ooh La La, USN, Tracym liked this post
  4. #3
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    873
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    it is a pity that your knowledge of cars seems to be limited, or you would have laughed at him and continued on your merry way. without a ball joint ,your car will not steer.
    Easy friend. These scammers hone their skills until they can take in a fare amount of people. It's easier to just assume that we're susceptible to some scam.

    Bottom line is don't let anybody touch your car. Just drive off. If followed, go to a gas station as they security and cameras. Scammers know better than to follow you in there as they will get made.

  5. Likes jd426 liked this post
  6. #4
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    120
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Without a ball joint it would be a LOT worse than lack of steering, lol

  7. #5
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This scam has been occurring on the highway just outside Puerto Plata for quite awhile now. *A guy tried it on me a few years ago. *I felt a bang/thump against my car. Two guys in a car pull up on my left and wave at me like something's wrong. *I pull over and they say something fell off my car. *A minute later a kid (14-16 y/o) runs up and says "this fell off your car" (he's holding a ball joint). *The two guys in the car say their cousin has a shop close by and can fix it.
    I just looked under my car for a quick check, then drove away. I had recognized the part as a ball joint and knew my steering wouldn't work without it. So it had to be a scam.
    I'm guessing the "bang/thump" against my car was the kid (working with them) rolling/throwing something at my car as I went past.

  8. #6
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    33,470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Billp View Post
    Without a ball joint it would be a LOT worse than lack of steering, lol
    you are correct...more like a few dead pedestrians...

  9. #7
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    33,470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Timotero View Post
    This scam has been occurring on the highway just outside Puerto Plata for quite awhile now. *A guy tried it on me a few years ago. *I felt a bang/thump against my car. Two guys in a car pull up on my left and wave at me like something's wrong. *I pull over and they say something fell off my car. *A minute later a kid (14-16 y/o) runs up and says "this fell off your car" (he's holding a ball joint). *The two guys in the car say their cousin has a shop close by and can fix it.
    I just looked under my car for a quick check, then drove away. I had recognized the part as a ball joint and knew my steering wouldn't work without it. So it had to be a scam.
    I'm guessing the "bang/thump" against my car was the kid (working with them) rolling/throwing something at my car as I went past.
    thse guys are not intelligent enough to come up with a new scam. they have probably used this dumb ruse hundreds of times.

  10. #8
    Gold
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    5,356
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php...ght=Ball+joint

    I have read this before here....above an example but that wasn't the one I read before.*

  11. #9
    Gold
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7,461
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This has been going on for quite a while ..
    It is almost always 2 guys, they throw something at your car, and then claim they SAW something, or your tire is wobbling, they make up some BS story. . If you DO pull over DO NOT GET OUT OF THE CAR until they leave .They will notice this and wont hang around , usually they have some parting words like " what do you think we are Criminals, we came to HELP" ... you cant blame them for Trying, but these guys could be also armed and dangerous, so do NOT get out of your car.
    The odds of something hitting your car like that and causing tire or other serious damage , is almost Zero..
    And if they claim something just FELL off your car, you know its 100% BS
    Yup, its happened to most of us , just drive away and go to the nearest gasoline station and ask them to check your car over .

    Edit , ok just read your whole story.
    this is a Variation now to the Old Scam above.. If a guy is following you, that is never good . you were lucky it did not cost you more.

  12. #10
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    843
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
    http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php...ght=Ball+joint

    I have read this before here....above an example but that wasn't the one I read before.*
    Post #14 is priceless

  13. Likes jd426, markryan liked this post
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •