Hummus Pricesmart

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Just in case someone buys this product.

871AA6D3-B85D-44E9-8B21-5BC4CB41E534_zps6pkqir9q.jpg

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's a huge ripoff anyway when making your own is so easy.

One cup of dried chickpeas soaked overnight (add half a tsp of baking soda) and boil until soft (or one tin of tinned chickpeas) with about a third of a cup of the liquid
2-3 tbsps of tahini paste
One clove of garlic
Juice of one lime or lemon
Salt to taste
Combine and mix in a blender/food processor until smooth, adding liquid if necessary.

You can also add:
half tsp of cumin powder
2 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
Fresh parsley

Garnish with cayenne pepper/paprika and olive oil.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
It's a huge ripoff anyway when making your own is so easy.

One cup of dried chickpeas soaked overnight (add half a tsp of baking soda) and boil until soft (or one tin of tinned chickpeas) with about a third of a cup of the liquid
2-3 tbsps of tahini paste
One clove of garlic
Juice of one lime or lemon
Salt to taste
Combine and mix in a blender/food processor until smooth, adding liquid if necessary.

You can also add:
half tsp of cumin powder
2 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
Fresh parsley

Garnish with cayenne pepper/paprika and olive oil.

yes, and it also freezes very well......

these are the things which imo, kids should learn to make whilst still young........these skills last a lifetime.

a very quick hummus cheat is garbanzos, peanut butter and lime juice. * * blend............done.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The big supermarkets stock it. In Nacional branches it is usually near the oil.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
even small jose luis in POP has tahini paste.

this sabra hummus is also sold in la sirena, i wonder if they are taking it off the shelves as well...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
btw, chiri, thanks for cumin and sesame seeds tip. i do my own hummus too but never added cumin. will try it tomorrow!

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Where to find Tahini Paste?

Tahini paste is even easier to make .. some good videos on youtube.
should take you no more than 15-20 minutes total once the oven is hot .
Basically roast some Sesame seeds at like 350 F for like 10 mins or til you can smell the seeds , careful not to burn, and then add some sesame or veg Oil in a blender til smooth, thats about it

or you can take it further and make a DIP or sauce with it by simple adding Lemon, Garlic clove minced finely, salt and little water . Dip Carrots or Pita bread.
but yeagh, the Tahini is real easy. and You an store the roasted Sesame seeds in the Freezer for a long time .

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
I add Sriracha to mine in place of some of the oil when I blend it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

nsdr

Bronze
Feb 1, 2007
I always have hummus in the fridge. My recipe is a little different. I use canned chick peas. It is so much easier. In a food processor put in first 1 or 2 cloves of garlic. When crushed add chick peas usually 2 cans, several tablespoons tahini, several tablespoons olive oil, juice of a lime (lemon is better but hard to find here) and a heaping tablespoon of cumin. As it is whirring in the food processor add a little water until it gets to the consistency that you like. Needs to sit in the fridge for a few hours for the flavors to blend.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Never had it, but can anybody tell me what the huge uptick in hummus eaters is over the last 15 years is?