Amet....new and strange approach

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Just got stopped in Sosua by amet for not wearing a helmet on the scooter.
They recorded my cedula and wrote me out a ticket and then....let me ride on!

I am apparently to go to the bank to pay the fine though of course it doesn't actually say on the ticket how much to pay.

I duly `filed` the ticket in the trash.

Since when did they stop taking the bike from you and start imagining you would voluntarily just go pay the fine??

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
You think they keep a good record? Get me at the airport on the way out?
Ps it wasn't actually my cedula but my driving licence....they don't know the difference

Jul 28, 2014
Since when did they stop taking the bike from you and start imagining you would voluntarily just go pay the fine??

It's a coin toss, sit at the Checkpoint sometime and watch the on-goings, there is some funny stuff sometimes. 2 Amet will be closer to the lights at the highway, and sometimes have a guy just at the back of Sinatra's, so when they try to do a U-Turn when they see them at the highway, its too late. It's fun watching them outrun, or try to outrun, the cop behind Sinatra's while they are going the wrong way on a one way street without a helmet and the cop is trying to take him off the bike.

Bienvenidos a La Republica Dominicana...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Let us know how it turns out.
Dangerous game these days. Helmets are a big deal this December.
AMET is all over it.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Ah, living on the edge. What was the ticket 15 dollars or such. How about the same AMET see you and stop you, taking your motor next time? Then they bang it up packing all those bikes onto the truck. Good luck*

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Ah, living on the edge. What was the ticket 15 dollars or such. How about the same AMET see you and stop you, taking your motor next time? Then they bang it up packing all those bikes onto the truck. Good luck*

Yeah, like they know who paid and who didn't and keep a mental record of it....hahaha

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Yeah, like they know who paid and who didn't and keep a mental record of it....hahaha

You be surprised.

A while back I came to visit my brother in law. We were in SD. There was a very trendy club I wanted to go to but my brother in law insisted we didn't.

Turns out the devil decided to leave and not pay a $30.00 USD bill almost a year before he says.

I tell him that there is no way that they will remember and he agreed. We went in. I was having a great time with this lady and see my brother in law arguing with someone. Turns out they remembered and were insisting on payment. I had to bail my brother in law out.

It was not a setup I hope. lol

Wouldn't put it past him though.

Mu?ecote

Aug 1, 2006
i feel naked without a helmet now after being let go twice by amet i knew it was time to buy a nice one on ebay. please always wear it my welsh friend.

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
There is a web site you can go to and see what your ticket cost. Go to that site and enter your cedula number and you will see your outstanding
tickets. Hope someone remembers the site as I had to reinstall my OS and lost that info.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I was stopped by an AMET a couple of nights ago for no tail lights. I wasn't aware of it and told him I'd go to my mechanic and get the fuse replaced first thing in the morning.

He said "You can't drive like that, Papi (sic). We'll have to impound the car. Follow me to the impound lot"

I asked him where the lot was and he told me. I told him I live right near there on [ ] which I do.

He gave me back my registration, DR driver's license and insurance card and left. :speechles

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
When you go to renew your DR driver's license, if you have one, they will catch up with you.

I f you don't have a local license they will get you when you renew you residency.

You can check if you have multas here. Enter your cedula number without dashes:

http://consultas.amet.gob.do/

Last edited:

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
If someone could post a link to that Site , would be most appreciated.
Got a ticket (my only ticket ever in a foreign contry) a while ago for making a right turn out of Playero Mercado from the left driveway.. of course they made a big production out of it.. They are just so over the top full of it sometimes.
Was told by Dominicans ,who checked on it for me that it was NOT " in the system" , so dont be a fool, dont pay it . So i never did . was like 5 years ago. never heard anything more about it . I think they did check at a Bank ?? does that make sense .

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Gringos stand out like a sore thumb in this country. You might be surprised but that's the fun of being on the edge.*

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
IMHO, they write these Bogus Tickets looking for a Propina, to then Rip up the ticket like they doing you a favor .. and when they dont get the anticipated propina they throw those BS tickets in the trash, probably because they are just WAY TOO LAZY to Enter them into whatever messed up System they got ..

but that is a total guess .