Importing vehicle

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I know this topic has been covered ad nauseum, but I'm interested in up-to-date information.

I've set my mind on a 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited and have a budget of $30k. *Looking at Supercarros and Corotos, there are a few available in that price range with a little wiggle room. *But some may have dubious histories.

If you look on US websites or even eBay, the same car goes for around $25k or less. *Most with very low mileage, full service history and some are Toyota certified pre-owned vehicles. *You get BOTH keys and a wallet full of the original documents.

My question is; as a Brit, could I buy a car in the US over the internet, get it sent to a shipper to put on a boat to the DR?

Are there people who specialize in just this?

What could be the estimated costs?

Shipping?
Import tax?
Administration costs to get it registered and legal in the DR?

Ultimately is it worth it?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I know this topic has been covered ad nauseum, but I'm interested in up-to-date information.

I've set my mind on a 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited and have a budget of $30k. *Looking at Supercarros and Corotos, there are a few available in that price range with a little wiggle room. *But some may have dubious histories.

If you look on US websites or even eBay, the same car goes for around $25k or less. *Most with very low mileage, full service history and some are Toyota certified pre-owned vehicles. *You get BOTH keys and a wallet full of the original documents.

My question is; as a Brit, could I buy a car in the US over the internet, get it sent to a shipper to put on a boat to the DR?

Shipping?
Import tax?

a 2013 Limited is going to run you 35 large in the DR. you might be able to get an off lease in the US for 28 grand, but the devil is in the tax and duty you have to pay here.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
a 2013 Limited is going to run you 35 large in the DR. you might be able to get an off lease in the US for 28 grand, but the devil is in the tax and duty you have to pay here.

Here's one on ebay which looks like a good car. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Toyota...760b8b26:g:R-0AAOSwImRYGxcS&item=152304323366 In all honesty I could buy this car without even going to see it.

So the question is would it be worthwhile? As you say there is a 7k difference in the prices between here and the DR. Could I get this car shipped to the DR and road legal in my name for 7k? If so, then it would be worthwhile as I would be buying a certified pre-owned vehicle with only 26,000 genuine miles on the clock. In my book that's a brand new car, as I've never bought brand new. The newest I buy is three years old.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Here's one on ebay which looks like a good car. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Toyota...760b8b26:g:R-0AAOSwImRYGxcS&item=152304323366

So the question is would it be worthwhile? As you say there is a 7k difference in the prices between here and the DR. Could I get this car shipped to the DR and road legal in my name for 7k? If so, then it would be worthwhile as I would be buying a certified pre-owned vehicle with only 26,000 genuine miles on the clock. In my book that's a brand new car, as I've never bought brand new. The newest I buy is three years old.

if you could get it in for 7 grand in shipping and duty, you would be ahead of the game. this is a dealer off lease, and people treat leases with kid gloves, because any damage comes out of the lessee?s pocket. this is as close to new as it gets, and there is no bogus stuff attached to a stateside lease car.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Here's one on ebay which looks like a good car. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Toyota...760b8b26:g:R-0AAOSwImRYGxcS&item=152304323366 In all honesty I could buy this car without even going to see it.

From NJ it will be about $1000 shipping. I realize that's just an example, but I'd never buy anything from an eBay seller with 60% positive feedback. * We spent close to $5000 bringing in a 3 year old car, but we got high discounts on duty and first plates as returning Dominican. First plates alone can be about $2000, which you wouldn't have to pay with a car already registered in DR*

Just some food for thought*

Jan 9, 2004

Shipping?
Import tax?

$11,500-$12,000

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

Shipping?
Import tax?

Several years ago I was thinking about doing the same thing. I found a government customs website where you coud input the make/model/ year of the car and it would give you the import duties(I just looked, but I can't find it). I also had a shipper in Miami - I think that cost back then was around $700(I believe to Pto. Plata). Then there were some other registration and licensing fees - plus the hassle of doing all that yourself. A friend of mine was going to do the same thing.

In the end, compared to buying the same car at US car import dealer in Moca, the difference wasn't all that much - not enough to justify all hassle. We both bough cars here instead.

Not sure what your car would cost at an imported car dealer(I remember the prices being about the same as on Supercarros), but with CARFAX, you can enter the VIN and get the complete service/accident history of the car, as well as verify the mileage.

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013

Shipping?
Import tax?

to try to import it yourself you are going to have a very hard time. there are bribes involved and payments (small but payments) to the officials at the ports/customs etc. I have been through the process but i used a dealer who i work with in the DR. My brother in law is a licensed dealer in the US and i can probably help you if you are serious about buying a car in the US and sending it to the DR. You are probably not going to save much money vs the prices you see on super carros because of the taxes but you will have a vehicle that you know the history on.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

I have to agree with AE on this one I wouldn't consider buying anything from a seller on eBay with only 60% positive feedback. Should be well over 90% even for a car dealer. He probably won't send the car he has pictured.
Der Fish

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have to agree with AE on this one I wouldn't consider buying anything from a seller on eBay with only 60% positive feedback. Should be well over 90% even for a car dealer. He probably won't send the car he has pictured.
Der Fish

i guess we all have to agree with AE for that observation. i mean, i would not buy a 50 dollar cellphone from a vendor with 60%....35 grand would be out of the question.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The net result of all our conversations was that for the dollar, it was a wash....even Steven more or less.

The prize was in knowing the car, whether it be yours, buying a friends, or getting a good, safe deal.

Patience will hopefully find you one here that you drive away that day and have recourse to the seller.

Just saying*

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
$11,500-$12,000

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

What is your figure based upon? *Is it just a guess?

Let's assume that car I posted from the eBay link:
Purchase price: $26,950.
Cost of shipping to DR: $1,000.

Now according to DR government website*http://www.dgii.gov.do/ciudadania/v...Paginas/ConsultaValoresVehiculosLivianos.aspx
It carries an official value of RD$1,066,756
What I would like to know what is the official duty and other taxes that are levied on this precise value? *Is it the standard ITBIS rate of 18% plus the gravimen import duty?

Once imported what are the costs to get the matricula and placa?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
The net result of all our conversations was that for the dollar, it was a wash....even Steven more or less.

The prize was in knowing the car, whether it be yours, buying a friends, or getting a good, safe deal.

Patience will hopefully find you one here that you drive away that day and have recourse to the seller.

Just saying*

You may have a point. *But recourse after you've handed over your money and driven it off the forecourt? *Nah, not in this country. *Here it's strictly caveat emptor.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Der Fish

Yes I'm sure you're right. *I was just posting it as an example with regards to what you can buy in the US, plus I particularly like the color and interior combination. *I have a few contacts in the States who would be willing to go and take a gander once I've found one.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
What is your figure based upon? *Is it just a guess?

Let's assume that car I posted from the eBay link:
Purchase price: $26,950.
Cost of shipping to DR: $1,000.

Now according to DR government website*http://www.dgii.gov.do/ciudadania/v...Paginas/ConsultaValoresVehiculosLivianos.aspx
It carries an official value of RD$1,066,756
What I would like to know what is the official duty and other taxes that are levied on this precise value? *Is it the standard ITBIS rate of 18% plus the gravimen import duty?

Once imported what are the costs to get the matricula and placa?

That's the same site I was on a couple years ago. It's been redone since then. Before there was also info on the import duties that had to be paid. On average, it was around 30% of the value you see in that table. Luxury cars were more, economy cars were less - especially if it had a small 4 cylinder engine. Registration and placa was around $200 back then.

You say you have no recourse if you drive it off the lot here. What recourse are you going to have with a car that is shipped here?

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Last I checked (it's been a few years), that 25K SUV will run you 32,500 when you include taxes brining it in. Plus, what used to be another $800. to bring it over, assuming it is in the South East.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
That's the same site I was on a couple years ago. It's been redone since then. Before there was also info on the import duties that had to be paid. On average, it was around 30% of the value you see in that table. Luxury cars were more, economy cars were less - especially if it had a small 4 cylinder engine. Registration and placa was around $200 back then.

You say you have no recourse if you drive it off the lot here. What recourse are you going to have with a car that is shipped here?

No recourse either. *But if you're buying a certified pre-owned car then you have a pretty good chance you're buying a good vehicle. *More so than here.
Obviously there is also the risk that it could be damaged in transit too.

I figured it would be around 30%. *As in 18% ITBIS and 12% duty, but like you I can't find the website.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
No recourse either. *But if you're buying a certified pre-owned car then you have a pretty good chance you're buying a good vehicle. *More so than here.
Obviously there is also the risk that it could be damaged in transit too.

I figured it would be around 30%. *As in 18% ITBIS and 12% duty, but like you I can't find the website.

Unfortunately, no. Before, it was very straightforward. Are you familiar with CARFAX? Only works on cars imported from the US, but many of my friends have used it and you get a very detailed history of the vehicle. How about getting a mechanic to go with you to the car dealer?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Another question: *Is there sales tax on a used car in the US?

There is a sales tax on used vehicles. The amount depends on in which state you buy it. If you buy it from a private party, it's pretty common practice for the seller to put a lower price on the title transfer papers so you can save a little bit there. 6% for sales tax is a good average. 7.5% I think is the highest(California).

Last edited: